Why didn't Bikey, Convey & Fae play, or Lita make bench?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Sep 2007 21:33

I think Bikey is seen as a bit impetuous and likely to dive in too much - whilst Duberry is much more experienced and level-headed.

Not sure I agree with it, but that seems to be the story.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Sep 2007 21:34

PEARCEY Bikey's omission also bemuses me. When Sonko is fit I would like to see Bikey alongside him ahead of Ivar and Duberry...

i agree, sonko and bikey would scare the sh*t out of most attackers

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Sep 2007 21:37

Indeed...we can scare our way to three points each week.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 22 Sep 2007 21:47

I think we were right to put Duberry in for Bikey....Bikey has been the cause for a couple of goals recently (i.e. not marking his man well enough who then goes and scores...) whereas Doobs played brilliantly today. I mean, he stopped Bent scoring when he was one-on-one with Marcus!

As for Convey, i'm glad he was on the bench cos i know that he is quick and to put his fresh legs on in the second half would surprise the defence...and he did. He brought the team alive to get the second goal.

And Fae...well, i thought maybve he should have come on for Gunnarsson, but as we have seen before, Bryn can switch on and have a burst of energy late on. Thought it was an excellent performance and we well deserved the win.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 22 Sep 2007 21:49

crossie I think we were right to put Duberry in for Bikey....Bikey has been the cause for a couple of goals recently (i.e. not marking his man well enough who then goes and scores...) whereas Doobs played brilliantly today. I mean, he stopped Bent scoring when he was one-on-one with Marcus!

As for Convey, i'm glad he was on the bench cos i know that he is quick and to put his fresh legs on in the second half would surprise the defence...and he did. He brought the team alive to get the second goal.

And Fae...well, i thought maybve he should have come on for Gunnarsson, but as we have seen before, Bryn can switch on and have a burst of energy late on. Thought it was an excellent performance and we well deserved the win.

what game were you watching?

it was not a bad performance, but it certainly was not an excellent performance

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Why didn't Bikey, Convey & Fae play, or Lita make be

by Forbury Lion » 22 Sep 2007 21:49

Royal Rother Convey chganged the game when he came on by all accounts.
That he did, even whipped in a good cross with his right foot which surprised me. On the one notable occasion he failed to stop the ball going out of play I have to say that probably wouldn't hav happened had he been playing on the left wing instead of the right.

If Joe Cole can play left wing for England then Convey playing right wing for Reading can work, at least until we get a right winger fit, then he can revert to left wing and Hunt can revert to supersub for a bit

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Sep 2007 21:53

Totally agree Forbury Lion. Convey needs to start now and must be getting hacked off that he isn't. Play him on the right until Little hopefully returns and then switch him to his natural left wing position.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Sep 2007 21:56

Most are agreed that Ingi has been distinctly average since the first couple of games this season, yet he has not been dropped.

Presumably this is in recognition of his marvelous consistency over the last couple of years.

How many games will Coppell pick him on the back of that fine record ahead of the still improving Bikey? Perhaps Bikey has actually been as good as he has in part because he has been playing alongside Ingi's calm and experienced head...

Interesting issues for the manager to ponder. And he's the one paid to come up with the right answers. Let's hope our end of season position shows he has done just that whilst we keep on debating the issues for fun. Big difference and one that should not be lost on us - we don't want a risk-taker at the helm, rather a man of Coppell's calm judgment with pros and cons and percentages accurately weighed up to produce a winning team.

I'm not suggesting he is above criticism but it is worth remembering his record for us over the last 3 years whilst lambasting him for, what appear to us, unfathomable selections.

Still, Bikey Convey and Fae to start next week please Mr. C!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Sep 2007 22:01

ivar may of been average so far this season but its only cos he has to play next to a clown like duberry. put someone who can defend his fair share and ivar will be back to normal

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Sep 2007 22:02

Yes fair comment Royal Rother and like you I would like Bikey, Convey and Fae to start but as things stand I cannot see SC changing a winning side(by god it feels nice to say winning side and that winner was so bloody important).
My concern is that the Coppell's team selection has been too conservative as have his tactical substitutions. We were crying out for Fae to come on instead of the very clearly struggling Gunnar and I dont see that change as being a risk when a fresh player comes on instead of one who is clearly flagging.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 22 Sep 2007 22:04

winchester_royal what game were you watching?

Tired old football cliche alert!

Mods, give this poster a yellow card please.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 22 Sep 2007 22:06

Far Canal
winchester_royal what game were you watching?

Tired old football cliche alert!

Mods, give this poster a yellow card please.

anoying person alert!

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 22 Sep 2007 22:38

winchester_royal
crossie I think we were right to put Duberry in for Bikey....Bikey has been the cause for a couple of goals recently (i.e. not marking his man well enough who then goes and scores...) whereas Doobs played brilliantly today. I mean, he stopped Bent scoring when he was one-on-one with Marcus!

what game were you watching?

it was not a bad performance, but it certainly was not an excellent performance

well...compared to the last 3 games....

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 22 Sep 2007 23:34

Avon Royal
Rawlie19 Coppell said that Leroy hadn't played well this season, and he'd rested Doyle last week so wanted to start with him, and Kitson had scored last week so he deserved to start. So having made that decision about his front 2, he felt that Long offered more as a striker coming off the bench than Leroy did.

Fair enough comments if you ask me. I expect Leroy to start on Tuesday UNLESS he let himself down by arguing too much with SSC after being told he wasn't to be involved.

What?

I would be more concerned if Leroy just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever".

I said TOO MUCH. Coppell hinted that he wasn't happy, and said that no player ever is, as you'd expect and quite right, any player who is happy to NOT play isn't someone we'd want at our club. BUT, there is a way to make your complaint, and if he went over the top and had a massive strop then I doubt Coppell would be happy about it and he would end up punished. Remember him being dropped before for his behaviour?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Sep 2007 23:54

loyalroyal4life ivar may of been average so far this season but its only cos he has to play next to a clown like duberry. put someone who can defend his fair share and ivar will be back to normal

What a bullshit point. Without being a real class act Duberry has been very sound on the whole and to describe him as a clown is disrespectful of an honest, hardworking and consistent pro, not to say plain dim.

And Duberry wasn't even playing in Ingi's 2 weakest displays against Bolton and Sunderland.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Sep 2007 01:28

Royal Rother
loyalroyal4life ivar may of been average so far this season but its only cos he has to play next to a clown like duberry. put someone who can defend his fair share and ivar will be back to normal

What a bullshit point. Without being a real class act Duberry has been very sound on the whole and to describe him as a clown is disrespectful of an honest, hardworking and consistent pro, not to say plain dim.

And Duberry wasn't even playing in Ingi's 2 weakest displays against Bolton and Sunderland.

Rother - Correct..Again! blimey!

Anyone saying Duberry is shite clearly knows absolutely sod all about football.

Read Coppell's comments, Duberry has played in Europe, in the top flight for the majority of his career, and has the experience and nous that none of our other defenders have. He's a very effective centre half. Centre halfs job in a nutshell - head it, kick it, stop them scoring. He's good at all 3.

Personally as a big Lita fan i was bemused and very disappointed. I can't honestly see how leaving out the most natural goalscorer at the club in favour of someone who has about 4 goals to his name is a positive thing. Lita has the potential and has the game to hit 15-20 goals in this league given the service, and why not name two strikers on the bench? the bench is something to turn to to win you matches, so have more forwards!!
Long better than Lita? Do me a favour.

However bigger picture, 3 VERY important points in the bag, the performance was never going to be that great coming off the back of 3 defeats, was all about result today.

Personally now hoping Henry plays and plays well on Tuesday because to steal a line from Rother, 'officially bored of people playing out of position'

8)

starbug

by starbug » 23 Sep 2007 09:32

Can you tell me where everyone gets their Convey-tinted spectacles from ?

All I see is a someone who runs a lot but doesn't go past people, doesn't really have any tricks up his sleeve, cant shoot and struggles to hit the ball hard enough for an effective cross (its like watching the Womens world cup).

Yet the hype on here makes his sound like Glen Little's second coming. I am and remain thoroughly unconvinced.

Though I was disappointed not to see Fae in place of sleepy Gunnarsson.

Lastly if anyone can get hold of what Harper's on then save some for me! He was fantastic, looked lively wanted to go forward all game, that is the kind of player he's promised to be for years.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2007 09:34

With Lita I think his biggest problem seems to be in his head, and a little break to refocus him on what football is really all about, which isn't posturing and thinking 1st about gaining unfair advantages which has started controlling him again this season, will do him some good.

The thing is AP, if the Lita who comes on as a sub is the same one who has played the last few games then I would far rather have the more honest and hard-working approach of Long who has shown that he is capable of making a very positive impact from the bench on many occasions.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 23 Sep 2007 09:53

starbug Can you tell me where everyone gets their Convey-tinted spectacles from ?

I was going to use the exact same expression. I was too scared to upset the wearers though!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 Sep 2007 10:16

Personally as a big Lita fan i was bemused and very disappointed. I can't honestly see how leaving out the most natural goalscorer at the club in favour of someone who has about 4 goals to his name is a positive thing. Lita has the potential and has the game to hit 15-20 goals in this league given the service, and why not name two strikers on the bench? the bench is something to turn to to win you matches, so have more forwards!!
Long better than Lita? Do me a favour.

What I've seen of Lita so far this season is the Lita of the start of last season, rather than the one who came in from Chelsea (A) and onwards.

If that's not part of the reason, then I'd be surprised.