Team for Villa

127 posts
Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Team for Villa

by Archie's penalty » 15 Feb 2008 15:38

The Surgeon of Crowthorne The problem I have with a centre mid pairing of Harper & Mateyboy is that neither of them can tackle. I like Harper a lot & on form he can control a game but if we're conceding a lot of possesion, neither he or Marek are capable of getting it back.

So what's the solution? Play Gunnarsson? I think we have to go with Harper and Matejovsky. If this means people such as Hunt and perhaps Doyle doing more work to help out our CM's then so be it. Don't you think in the situation we're in it's better to go for wins than worrying about losses? Besides I feel our defence will be much stonger with our two big centre backs in...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Feb 2008 16:05

marcus

rosenior cisse, sonko, shorey
oster, marek, harps, hunt,
kitson, lita

brynn, doyle,dela , kebe, fed

whatever the team id like a win and a performance please
thanks

79Royal

by 79Royal » 15 Feb 2008 16:22

The Surgeon of Crowthorne The problem I have with a centre mid pairing of Harper & Mateyboy is that neither of them can tackle. I like Harper a lot & on form he can control a game but if we're conceding a lot of possesion, neither he or Marek are capable of getting it back.

True, but then I neve thought of Sidwell as being the greatest at tackling either. I suppose that's why we defend better when we attack them and force them back.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 15 Feb 2008 16:24

Perhaps not great at tackling, but good at breaking up play without conceding free kicks in dangerous areas. Mind you, given our defence this season conceding a free kick anywhere on the pitch is dangerous (cf the free kick that led to Bolton's first goal).

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Feb 2008 16:42

People saying we have no drive without Harper, repeat that next time we're losing and our two centre backs are looking for a midfield to pass to only to find him two yards behind them when we're chasing a game. Harper hides, has no physical prowess and ultimately no brain - he's played with several different midfield partners this season and the end result has been the same every time. I'm struggling to find another central midfielder in the Premiership as weak as Harper - you have to be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate in midfield, he just can't do that - and even when he attacks (which he has the natural ability suited for) he consistently picks the wrong option and gives the ball away as he's stupid.

People say we have no bite in the team with Harper and Matejovsky, but the difference is Matejovsky makes things happen going forward and still puts genuine pressure on his opponents and forces errors and makes some tackles. Harper should take a look at him and stop wardancing 10 yards short of tackling the player, giving them all the time in the world to pick which way they want to walk right through the middle of our team.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 Feb 2008 18:46

Stop sitting on the fence Royalee

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Feb 2008 19:18

Royalee People saying we have no drive without Harper, repeat that next time we're losing and our two centre backs are looking for a midfield to pass to only to find him two yards behind them when we're chasing a game. Harper hides, has no physical prowess and ultimately no brain - he's played with several different midfield partners this season and the end result has been the same every time. I'm struggling to find another central midfielder in the Premiership as weak as Harper - you have to be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate in midfield, he just can't do that - and even when he attacks (which he has the natural ability suited for) he consistently picks the wrong option and gives the ball away as he's stupid.

People say we have no bite in the team with Harper and Matejovsky, but the difference is Matejovsky makes things happen going forward and still puts genuine pressure on his opponents and forces errors and makes some tackles. Harper should take a look at him and stop wardancing 10 yards short of tackling the player, giving them all the time in the world to pick which way they want to walk right through the middle of our team.

To be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck you have to get the ball.
With our keeper and back4 wellying the ball forward at every opportunity the midfield is so often by-passed so there aren't too many opportunities for whoever plays centrally in midfield to bring the ball out and play.
Thinking again about how we play this season compared to last the emphasis is even more about going long and we are now often the new Wimbledon without the associated aggression-that's why there is a real chance that we could be relegated.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Feb 2008 20:01

Victor Meldrew
Royalee People saying we have no drive without Harper, repeat that next time we're losing and our two centre backs are looking for a midfield to pass to only to find him two yards behind them when we're chasing a game. Harper hides, has no physical prowess and ultimately no brain - he's played with several different midfield partners this season and the end result has been the same every time. I'm struggling to find another central midfielder in the Premiership as weak as Harper - you have to be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate in midfield, he just can't do that - and even when he attacks (which he has the natural ability suited for) he consistently picks the wrong option and gives the ball away as he's stupid.

To be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck you have to get the ball.
With our keeper and back4 wellying the ball forward at every opportunity the midfield is so often by-passed so there aren't too many opportunities for whoever plays centrally in midfield to bring the ball out and play.
Thinking again about how we play this season compared to last the emphasis is even more about going long and we are now often the new Wimbledon without the associated aggression-that's why there is a real chance that we could be relegated.

The signings of Matejovsky and Kebe should offset a lot of the long ball nature of the game we have been playing this season...fingers crossed...

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Feb 2008 20:27

brendywendy marcus

rosenior cisse, sonko, shorey
oster, marek, harps, hunt,
kitson, lita

brynn, doyle,dela , kebe, fed

whatever the team id like a win and a performance please
thanks

are you mad???!!!

(oh, and just a win will do)

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 15 Feb 2008 23:17

Ok so we have doubts about Harper and Matey boy together in midfield.

Why not play Inga and Matey together? Inga would play a holding role and provide the bite that is missing in midfield. OK so he is not the fastest but he has good positional sense.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Feb 2008 11:28

mmmmmm, interesting that. It could just work!!

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 16 Feb 2008 11:33

Definitely interesting. Been thinking that myself. Would effectively mean that Ingi and Cisse has swopped positions from their normal but it could work.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Feb 2008 11:51

IMO we would be better off if we kept ingi out of the team completely

And where did the idea that they can't play together come from...one bad game against bolton?...they both played well against everton and helped us have a strong hold on a game against a top 6 side...give 'em a chance

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Feb 2008 11:55

winchester_royal IMO we would be better off if we kept ingi out of the team completely

And where did the idea that they can't play together come from...one bad game against bolton?...they both played well against everton and helped us have a strong hold on a game against a top 6 side...give 'em a chance

I agree. You can't drop Harper. I will be most upset at Coppell if he drops Cisse for Ingi. Cisse has been very good at the back over the last 5 games. One of the main reasons we have let in less goals recently...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Feb 2008 12:05

Archie's penalty
winchester_royal IMO we would be better off if we kept ingi out of the team completely

I agree. You can't drop Harper. I will be most upset at Coppell if he drops Cisse for Ingi. Cisse has been very good at the back over the last 5 games. One of the main reasons we have let in less goals recently...

that is my main worry.....or that he will drop matey and put cisse in cm

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 16 Feb 2008 14:26

USA

MURTY BIKEY SONKO SHOREY

CISSE

KEBE MAREK HUNT

KITSON LITA

SUBS:

FED
DOYLE
HARPER
ROSENIOR
LONG

lovetoscore

by lovetoscore » 16 Feb 2008 15:08

My team

Usa

Rosenior Cisse Ivar Shorey

Kebe Bikey Marek Hunt

Kits Leroy

subs-Fedex DLC Harper Henry Doyle

Rosenior over Murty is a no brainer-we will need some pace against Villa or we are Fxxxed.

Why are people so sure about Sonko? Most of the last few games hes been a total liability-giving away pens and getting sent off. Cisse has looked really good and deserves his place while Bikey has played well in the ANC and maybe is our best option for tackling in midfield and he can run with the ball too.Hopefully this will let Marek play and hes a far superior playmaker to Harper on the evidence I have seen and he puts in the occasional tackle.

Up front is a tough one-Kits has been our best striker this season by far and hopefully hes over his virus now. lita is worth a go as Doyle is well off the pace.

namroyal

by namroyal » 17 Feb 2008 22:39

Kitson

Doyle Hunt Cisse Matejovsky

Sonko Murty Shorey DLC

Ingi USA

I'm going with the theory that Cisse came good when we moved him out of his preferred position, so why not try it with the rest of the team...

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 17 Feb 2008 22:49

Got my ticket. Looking forward to it!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Feb 2008 23:07

Yep there will be a team for Villa.

Maybe we should ask to borrow someone elses?

127 posts