The dreaded vote of confidence

142 posts

Do you have faith in the management team and board at RFC?

Yes.
57%
No.
43%

Total votes: 190
Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

Re: No ambition...

by Agent Balti » 23 Jul 2008 12:10

Toadie
rfcjoe Ahhh quality, another no ambition,we're shit thread. Brilliant!

We're not sh*t! But we'll be conceivably worse off if we jettison our better players without bring some experience in.

As for 'no ambition', I'm struggling to think of reasons why I should retract that statement... :|

Indeed. Whilst I'm with AP 100%, my struggle is WHY the other set of fans are quite happy with RFC doing nothing (yes, literally nothing) and be happy for Coppell to stay ever loyal to the team that got us relegated and to 'evaluate' what he's been evaluating for the best part of 3 years. He probably only sold Kitson because the board told him to. He only buys when Madejski lets him and even then it's not a signing that's an absolute cast iron statement of intent that we actually want progression.

If Brendy and the likes just want Reading to be Reading and never ever change and just go on with a shrug of the shoulders, uttering "it's only a game" after another crushing defeat which nothing ever gets learned from then so be it. I just cannot understand that logic, however. (You may not be like that, but that's how it appears without knowing you in person.)

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again (like now), mentally these players who have been in the Premiership and now are here will not have the same appetite as when we first got promoted. To think we'll just do it all over again (without the opposition having learned how we play) is just plain naive. I'm not saying the players don't want to play for Reading, but you have to have momentum, we have zilch on that front...and that goes for the players, the team as a whole, the board, the attitude permeated from the PR, everything. The whole atmosphere is stale and I fail to see why that is 'acceptable' for anyone, let alone the RTG's.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The dreaded vote of confidence

by readingbedding » 23 Jul 2008 12:45

Looking forward to the beginning of the Season, get a few wins under our belt and watch all this crap disappear!!!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 23 Jul 2008 13:15

readingbedding Looking forward to the beginning of the Season, get a few wins under our belt and watch all this crap disappear!!!

That is not the point. Not at all.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Jul 2008 13:23

My point is as good as yours.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 23 Jul 2008 13:33

readingbedding My point is as good as yours.

What's your 'theory' then? Why is apathy good?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Jul 2008 13:43

First off, I don't know what you mean by 'Apathy' in this context.
If you could explain what you mean then I could answer.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 23 Jul 2008 13:52

Agent Balti
Toadie

We're not sh*t! But we'll be conceivably worse off if we jettison our better players without bring some experience in.

As for 'no ambition', I'm struggling to think of reasons why I should retract that statement... :|

Indeed. Whilst I'm with AP 100%, my struggle is WHY the other set of fans are quite happy with RFC doing nothing

because it's not black & white. It's not a case of being pissed off and whinging all the time, or being completely happy and thinking everything in the garden is rosy.

Remarkable as it may seem, it is possible to be disappointed with events of the summer so far without automatically assuming everyone at the club is a dribbling incompetant imbecile.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Jul 2008 14:46

Agent Balti
Toadie

Indeed. Whilst I'm with AP 100%, my struggle is WHY the other set of fans are quite happy with RFC doing nothing (yes, literally nothing) and be happy for Coppell to stay ever loyal to the team that got us relegated and to 'evaluate' what he's been evaluating for the best part of 3 years. He probably only sold Kitson because the board told him to. He only buys when Madejski lets him and even then it's not a signing that's an absolute cast iron statement of intent that we actually want progression.

If Brendy and the likes just want Reading to be Reading and never ever change and just go on with a shrug of the shoulders, uttering "it's only a game" after another crushing defeat which nothing ever gets learned from then so be it. I just cannot understand that logic, however. (You may not be like that, but that's how it appears without knowing you in person.)

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again (like now), mentally these players who have been in the Premiership and now are here will not have the same appetite as when we first got promoted. To think we'll just do it all over again (without the opposition having learned how we play) is just plain naive. I'm not saying the players don't want to play for Reading, but you have to have momentum, we have zilch on that front...and that goes for the players, the team as a whole, the board, the attitude permeated from the PR, everything. The whole atmosphere is stale and I fail to see why that is 'acceptable' for anyone, let alone the RTG's.

oi!

im not the ring leader-just a low level sheep. mr big is controlling things quietly in the back ground.

let me just make a few things clear
if we lose more players, and dont replace them with anyone, i will be annoyed
if we start the season with teh squad as is i will be annoyed
if the signings we make are all of the mooney/hunt standard ill be worried
if we sell bikey i will be annoyed
if we do not sell shorey and replace him with someone half decent,i will be annoyed
if we sell doyle and lita ill be annoyed

teh reason i dont panic is because theres still 3 weeks left in which im convinced we will do stuff.
and also because it achieves nowt, and makes me depressed.

i simply cannot countenance the idea that we are happy to go with what we have got, and im sure that we are scouting players, and discussing things with clubs and players, as we speak
and generally i feel that the comments from the club are sensible, realistic and mainly honest
and i love the way we do business differently to everyone else

i always want my team to be Reading, i would love one day to progress to be an established prem team, i would love in the short term to be a yo yo team, id hate it if we went down again-but realistically i loved watching reading in the 3rd tier, 2nd tier, and top tier-and my most memorable season is the last at elm park so clearly league position doesnt really affect my enjoyment that much.

im optimistic, not an idiot.

honest

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 23 Jul 2008 16:51

I didn't say you or anyone is an idiot, I just cannot see a reason for uber-optimism. A lot of things you cite are truly valid (especially Bikey, we are united on that score) but the list already is culpable.

A very small squad with little cover in all spots aside from Goalkeeper just about, and Central Defence.
One creative midfielder, the reliance on Matejovsky next season is huge, we're at risk of being a one trick pony.
No Right Winger (OK, jury is out Kebe, but that's ALL we've got.)
No Striker at any level who could play in the first team that's over 5'10"
No Pace at any discernible position (Kebe aside, possibly, and Doyle though he seems to have lost that yard of pace.)
Mis-placed loyalty on injury prone limbs (Murty, Gunnarsson, Convey will remain injury prone, that's a given.)
No visible intent to IMPROVE the first team, let alone replace Kitson, Little, De La Cruz (who was vastly under utilised imo.) If we don't buy anyone we have only one way of playing. That way of playing got us relegated. Everyone KNOWS how we play.
A manager who realises his own weakness was loyalty - yet nothing has changed, so he will still be fiercely loyal. Do the manager and chairman and DOF actually speak to each other?
A chairman who touts the club to all and sundry and now just wishes to make the bank balance look attractive to prospective buyers. Ah but look where he's brought us...it doesn't wash anymore.
A scouting system that seems to be seriously flawed. We cannot appear to scout anything in this country that doesn't fit into the category of "too expensive." We are supposed to be scouting Europe and at home, constantly, all year round. If so, then why with the squad now in Sweden to bond and gel (with our new signings...ahem...otherwise what's the point of going abroad?) have we signed absolutely nobody? Not even a punt like someone like Aaron Brown from non-league or some academy kid we've pinched from Scandinavia somewhere?

I don't want my club to do a Leeds and get stupendously in debt. I don't want the club to think that what they have is 'good enough' to get Coppell and Madejski thru one more year before they both sail off into the sunset. I don't want our club to be a laughing stock for thinking they can buck the trend of how football works and "it worked once, it'll work again" attitude because that's all I can see as some sort of back up for 'positive thinking', we're riding on a wave that flatlined two years ago.

Yes, we'll probably be 'good enough' to enjoy above mid-table success, if you can call it that. Yes, we'll more than likely be a good match for plenty of teams in the CCC. But there is just nothing, absolutely nothing, which makes me believe that our club is run anything beyond counting the pennies currently and committing no extra effort than the other clubs in this division, to themselves, the players, or the fans. We were all taken on a fabulous ride for two seasons, but now the powers that be seem overwhelmed at what needs to be done to be a consistent and forward moving club. They thought they had the minerals, but frankly they don't. Now they're just rabbits in the headlights. They're not imbeciles, they just don't know what to do next and if non-Reading fans see it that I speak to, then christ knows what the players who turn out for us think.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on...nobody is truly right and nobody is truly wrong, but to think that Reading FC is and will reach those heights of 106 points and 8th in the Premiership with Europe almost being the next stop now seems a million miles away and unachievable again...but fcuk it, we loved Elm Park didn't we...so that's OK.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Jul 2008 16:53

Agent Balti I didn't say you or anyone is an idiot, I just cannot see a reason for uber-optimism. A lot of things you cite are truly valid (especially Bikey, we are united on that score) but the list already is culpable.

A very small squad with little cover in all spots aside from Goalkeeper just about, and Central Defence.
One creative midfielder, the reliance on Matejovsky next season is huge, we're at risk of being a one trick pony.
No Right Winger (OK, jury is out Kebe, but that's ALL we've got.)
No Striker at any level who could play in the first team that's over 5'10"
No Pace at any discernible position (Kebe aside, possibly)
Mis-placed loyalty on injury prone limbs (Murty, Gunnarsson, Convey will remain injury prone, that's a given.)
No visible intent to IMPROVE the first team, let alone replace Kitson, Little, De La Cruz (who was vastly under utilised imo.) If we don't buy anyone we have only one way of playing. That way of playing got us relegated. Everyone KNOWS how we play.
A manager who realises his own weakness was loyalty - yet nothing has changed, so he will still be fiercely loyal. Do the manager and chairman and DOF actually speak to each other?
A chairman who touts the club to all and sundry and now just wishes to make the bank balance look attractive to prospective buyers. Ah but look where he's brought us...it doesn't wash anymore.
A scouting system that seems to be seriously flawed. We cannot appear to scout anything in this country that doesn't fit into the category of "too expensive." We are supposed to be scouting Europe and at home, constantly, all year round. If so, then why with the squad now in Sweden to bond and gel (with our new signings...ahem...otherwise what's the point of going abroad?) have we signed absolutely nobody? Not even a punt like someone like Aaron Brown from non-league or some academy kid we've pinched from Scandinavia somewhere?

I don't want my club to do a Leeds and get stupendously in debt. I don't want the club to think that what they have is 'good enough' to get Coppell and Madejski thru one more year before they both sail off into the sunset. I don't want our club to be a laughing stock for thinking they can buck the trend of how football works and "it worked once, it'll work again" attitude because that's all I can see as some sort of back up for 'positive thinking', we're riding on a wave that flatlined two years ago.

Yes, we'll probably be 'good enough' to enjoy above mid-table success, if you can call it that. Yes, we'll more than likely be a good match for plenty of teams in the CCC. But there is just nothing, absolutely nothing, which makes me believe that our club is run anything beyond counting the pennies currently and committing no extra effort than the other clubs in this division, to themselves, the players, or the fans. We were all taken on a fabulous ride for two seasons, but now the powers that be seem overwhelmed at what needs to be done to be a consistent and forward moving club. They thought they had the minerals, but frankly they don't. Now they're just rabbits in the headlights. They're not imbeciles, they just don't know what to do next and if non-Reading fans see it that I speak to, then christ knows what the players who turn out for us think.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on...nobody is truly right and nobody is truly wrong, but to think that Reading FC is and will reach those heights of 106 points and 8th in the Premiership with Europe almost being the next stop now seems a million miles away and unachievable again...but fcuk it, we loved Elm Park didn't we...so that's OK.

Looking forward to the beginning of the Season, get a few wins under our belt and watch all this crap disappear!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Jul 2008 16:56

sorry-i seem to have said that the last season at elm park was my favourite ever

what i meant was considering the league table and performances my favourite season
my favourite shit season if you will

clearly the championship season and the one that followed are my favourite ever

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 23 Jul 2008 16:58

brendywendy sorry-i seem to have said that the last season at elm park was my favourite ever

what i meant was considering the league table and performances my favourite season
my favourite shit season if you will

clearly the championship season and the one that followed are my favourite ever

It wasn't a veiled pop at your comment Brendy, just that a lot of our fans just hark back to when we were truly awful and that's our benchmark. As long as we're above that then RFC Rules OK.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 23 Jul 2008 17:34

Brendywendy quote "teh reason i dont panic is because theres still 3 weeks left in which im convinced we will do stuff"

There's doing stuff to show ambition and there's doing stuff the "Reading way" - which do you want Brendy?????

JimGRoyal

by JimGRoyal » 23 Jul 2008 18:13

Confidence to make a buck or make the PL?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2008 19:25

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Brendywendy quote "teh reason i dont panic is because theres still 3 weeks left in which im convinced we will do stuff"

There's doing stuff to show ambition and there's doing stuff the "Reading way" - which do you want Brendy?????

Option 2 please. It's worked fairly well so far.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Jul 2008 19:30

Ian Royal Option 2 please. It's worked fairly well so far.

Yes, being relegated was a massive success. Numpty.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2008 19:36

Promotion to Championship
4th
edge of play offs
edge of play offs
1st with record points
8th in prem.

looks like it's worked fairly well to me.

If you want to think 1 duff season in the top flight with a narrow relegation means the system that has brought us the best 10 year period in our history is rubbish thats your look out. But it does pile up a large amount of evidence that you're a moron.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Jul 2008 20:52

Ian Royal Promotion to Championship
4th
edge of play offs
edge of play offs
1st with record points
8th in prem.

If you want to think 1 duff season in the top flight with a narrow relegation means the system that has brought us the best 10 year period in our history is rubbish thats your look out. But it does pile up a large amount of evidence that you're a moron.

Most of those years money didn't rule football ANYWHERE NEAR the amount it does now. If you want to overlook the fact that you need to spend to survive in the premiership then you my friend are the moron. Whats the point of us even trying to get back there if we aren't going to spend to try and stay there?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2008 21:56

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal Promotion to Championship
4th
edge of play offs
edge of play offs
1st with record points
8th in prem.

Most of those years money didn't rule football ANYWHERE NEAR the amount it does now. If you want to overlook the fact that you need to spend to survive in the premiership then you my friend are the moron. Whats the point of us even trying to get back there if we aren't going to spend to try and stay there?

What a load of toss.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 23 Jul 2008 22:00

I voted yes on this but with reservations - if the low level of investment continues and we have a crap season, then that's two seasons in a row when the board and management team have got it totally wrong by doing things on the cheap. Once is an accident, twice is careless. Hopefully the players we have will be good enough, but I have a bad feeling that by Christmas more people will be voting 'No' than 'Yes' on this.

142 posts