Motivational management theory

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jollyjiminy

Motivational management theory

by jollyjiminy » 18 Oct 2009 20:37

Having had the great pleasure of managing people over the last ten years, sometimes running into several score, sometimes a small handful depending on the role I've been doing, I've always been aware of the challenge of getting people to work for you - and I mean so that they really WANT to work for you, 'cos thats the point that they're going to deliver. They're not going to be so productive if they're nervous or demoralised, or suspicious of you, or if they don't understand what you're getting at. I've been lucky enough to have picked up decent training and good role models etc as I've gone along, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert on theory of how to motivate people. However I think I've got an idea, and I can understand how why managers with different styles get people to deliver: I get Ferguson's hairdryer treatment - after all the guy knows when to apply it and when not to. I can understand why Coppell stuck with a winning team even if it was a wee bit frustrating when the win wasn't mega convincing.

I have not got my head around Rodgers' motivational methods. I know we only get to see a tiny fraction of what goes on, but I'm struggling with a couple of points. Two main things have happened since the Chelsea friendly, when you could feel that morale was high. Firstly, the group that played on that day has had a 'night of the long knives', with Harper, Rosenior, Bikey, Marek etc being sidelined (I'm not including Hunt cos we knew he was going) and replaced with a huge new influx. I don't know all the background, but Harper is not a political guy - he gobs off without any tact or thought and I got the distinct impression that he wasn't expecting it. Therefore, it has the appearance not so much a strengthening exercise as a revolution - occurring once the season had begun. It was a muted revolution, as one of the key comrades backed out (Smith) but a revolution nonetheless. The second thing is that the much lauded young talent - including talent which has really been introduced to the main audience during this period, such as Davies and Sig, and pretty much won their approval - has been flung around all over the place in a rotation policy. I can understand rotation when the going is bad (most of our season) - and also when the going is very good (e.g. at Liverpool, where players are incentivised by results/rewards) - but I can't understand how rotation has worked for us overall, because we've done it even after we've won, and after players have performed (e.g. Sig). The players that have been rotated have have had to sit and watch a downward spiral of defeats. What is there to encourage them? What are the incentives for them - to play well one week (it has happened), and then watch other players get us relegated?

I can't understand how either of these things (revolution and incessant rotation) are going to motivate and develop our players, many of whom are very young and impressionable. I do accept that I can't see the whole picture - what they're like at training, whether they listen to Rodgers or not (e.g. I got the impression that Rodgers didn't feel that Rosenior listened to him) - but I don't see how it makes management sense. Please someone help me out here!

bagman

Re: Motivational management theory

by bagman » 18 Oct 2009 20:44

Excellent post, that has captured most of what has gone wrong so far. If you add to it a load of management speak that means nothing, and hyperbole that is out of this world ( eg Alex Pearce is the next John Terry and then dropping him from the next SQUAD !) No wonder the team crumbles at the first setback, time and time again.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 18 Oct 2009 20:52

I get the feeling that the players know that Rodgers is going to come out and say they played well even if they didn't, and they also know they aren't going to get a hammering from him.

Football is a results based business, and I can't see where the next result is coming for. After the Boro game I saw Cummins dicking around with his boys, not a care in the world, let alone knowing he's shit

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 21:20

Coppell also had it right in that you do't just automatically make changes if you lose. Sometimes it happens. Coppell went wrong in taking that too far. But Rodgers needs to pick a decent team and stick with it for 3 - 4 games. It's the only way understanding and team work will happen.

All the changes just keep everything off balance. Half of them have no rhyme or reason.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Oct 2009 21:20

Are we seeing the net result of Murdoch's influence on football in this country? The youngsters have their goodness knows how many thousands per week contracts. They have the agents, the wannabe wags, the flash cars and the mock tudor mansions. All this at a very young age. They don't care. They know that they have a contract with a professional club and they will get another one either where they are or somewhere else.

When you are faced with this, what chance does anyone have? Let alone a guy in his mid 30s who never made a league appearance? Managing youngsters either at youth level or even reserve level is one thing. Managing soon to be multi million pound players another. Just how do you motivate a bunch of people who dont care and what's worse, don't have to?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 21:22

Terminal Boardom Are we seeing the net result of Murdoch's influence on football in this country? The youngsters have their goodness knows how many thousands per week contracts. They have the agents, the wannabe wags, the flash cars and the mock tudor mansions. All this at a very young age. They don't care. They know that they have a contract with a professional club and they will get another one either where they are or somewhere else.

When you are faced with this, what chance does anyone have? Let alone a guy in his mid 30s who never made a league appearance? Managing youngsters either at youth level or even reserve level is one thing. Managing soon to be multi million pound players another. Just how do you motivate a bunch of people who dont care and what's worse, don't have to?

Still say the players aren't the problem. Rodgers couldn't have oxf*rd it better if he'd been trying.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Oct 2009 22:04

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom Are we seeing the net result of Murdoch's influence on football in this country? The youngsters have their goodness knows how many thousands per week contracts. They have the agents, the wannabe wags, the flash cars and the mock tudor mansions. All this at a very young age. They don't care. They know that they have a contract with a professional club and they will get another one either where they are or somewhere else.

Still say the players aren't the problem. Rodgers couldn't have oxf*rd it better if he'd been trying.

Don't you think that if they actually cared then there would be a few more fireworks on the pitch? There would be the prospect of seeing Ivar deck Kebe for not helping out Short Comings. But ultimately the problem lies with the twat on the touchline.

Radders

by Radders » 18 Oct 2009 22:56

Along with the original post which was pretty much spot on, this sums up my feelings of the modern game. The players don't give a toss as they are already made for life.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 Oct 2009 07:29

With revolution what should follow after a period of settling in is evolution. This club hasn't reached that stage. There is a loose foundation at the moment. Does Brendan actually go for the tenuous popularity vote and be one of the boys or does he step outside the circle and actually MANAGE the team. Everyone states he's such a nice chap but there has to be a strong core that will rage when needed. In correct perspective and circumstance both are apt is used to positively motivate.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Oct 2009 08:22

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1