Reading fans who came from other clubs

voyager1

Reading fans who came from other clubs

by voyager1 » 15 Apr 2010 23:30

My first ever encounter with Reading was as an away supporter for a visiting club and I fell in love with this club since that first visit. Back then, Reading were still in the midst of the unwinnable hoodoo at the Madejski Stadium and the very thought of beating Liverpool, WBA and Burnley would be amongst the realms of fiction alongside wizards, dragons and warp drive propulsion.

I have now been to eleven matches this season (a mixture of home and away) rooting for Reading.

My incursion on Reading is very different from the fans who grew up in the local area. Thinking I was mad, I brought a supporter for another team to the Newcastle match and she developed a liking for Reading - however, being a hardcore supporter for the other team, it is just a liking she'll have. Her thoughts were that the Madejski is simply a wonderful stadium and it was nice being in a family friendly atmosphere with little swearing (we were in the North Stand that match). She also pointed out how the players take time to mingle with the fans and also enjoyed what she saw on the pitch.

Has anyone else on here ever came to Reading, originally as an away supporter for another team? or have some other story which doesn't involve the traditional "I was taken to my first Reading match at the age of 8"?

I heard somewhere else that Reading is a very popular "second team" for other supporters. For anyone else who came here through unconventional means, what is your story?

What about people who don't live and never have lived in or around Reading?

koran

Re: Reading fans who came from other clubs

by koran » 16 Apr 2010 00:08

A very interesting post Voyager. Which club did you originally (and maybe still) support?

Reading's first season in the premiership did indeed prompt many to adopt them as their 'second team'. I think that was because of many factors - they played attacking, open football; they didn't harass the ref when decisions didn't go their way; they were generous in victory and dignified in defeat; they didn't try to spend their way out of trouble. Much of this was down to Sir Steve and his approach to the game. I was proud to be a Reading supporter in those days and, to be honest, I still am! Brian McD probably has a more pragmatic approach to management but his man-management of the players is great and he has brought out the best in players like Kebe and Sigurdsson.

After a game I often google the fans' forums of our opponents to read what they write about us. They are often very complimentary but the main feeling that comes across to me is how erudite, intelligent and humorous HNA is by comparison. Of course we have our fair share of t**ssers but - generally speaking - the level of debate is several floors higher than most clubs.

So welcome to Reading, Voyager. But be warned - it's a bumpy old ride!!!

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 16 Apr 2010 00:35

I can do the reverse, and be a Reading fan than developed a soft spot for another club.

I don't miss many Reading home games, and haven't done since 94. I moved my family to Leeds 5 years ago, and although 220 miles away, I came back for almost every home game, sometimes twice a week there and back in the same day. But I loved the long drives, the footy on the radio, music up loud after another home win and being in good spirits the whole time. (by coincidence, this was the record breaking 106 points championship winning season)

But in between all this travelling up and down the M1, I took in quite a few Leeds United games, and yeah sure they get stick from all corners of the footballing community, but their supporters are truly passionate, and I couldn't help but get sunk in by the noise they made behind the goal in their Kop (Don Revie stand).

The moment they hooked a part of me was the game at Elland Road vs Sheffield United. When Leeds would score, I'd let out a discrete cheer only, as a southern accent in that environment wouldn't go down too well, but on this occasion and being wrapped up in the derby atmosphere, I went mental when they scored. The noise inside the ground was captivating, and I was envious that our own support at Reading didn't have this level of passion about it.

This was boisterous, everyone standing, people moving to stand with their mates even though their ticket said they had to sit elsewhere. People just moved aside to fit them in. It was cramped with the tight seating, but I was suddenly back on the old terraces again, shoulder to shoulder, unable to move even if I wanted too. I loved it! That was what hooked me when I was a kid stood on the South Bank at Elm Park; that feeling of togetherness, the noise, passion.

So even now I'm back home in Reading, there's a little bit of me that looks for their results, and cares how they do.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 16 Apr 2010 00:52

Not many of my family really like football, except for my mum who has been a CheLOLsea season ticket holder for 20 odd years.

My mates got me into Reading when I was about 12-13. Since then I've been hooked. I think this season is my 6th season as a ST holder.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Apr 2010 01:03

voyager1 Has anyone else on here ever came to Reading, originally as an away supporter for another team? or have some other story which doesn't involve the traditional "I was taken to my first Reading match at the age of 8"?

Only started going at 8 years old. Bloddy Plastics.
Last edited by sandman on 16 Apr 2010 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 16 Apr 2010 03:59

I've never supported another club properly. At primary school I said that I supported Newcastle and I'd follow their score. Good, attractive football but not Man Utd or Liverpool like all the other kids. My parents noticed I was into football by all the rips and marks on my school trousers, I used to play in goal and dive about on the concrete all lunchtime! My Dad thought it would be a good idea to take me to see my local team, even though he wasn't a football man. Reading v Grimsby, Elm Park 1996. Hooked ever since. Newcastle don't hold a soft spot in my heart any more, not in the slightest. If I have a 2nd team, it's probably AFC Wimbledon. Can't wait to see them in the football league and maybe even climb above MK Dons!

Maria Kr.

by Maria Kr. » 16 Apr 2010 05:02

I started following Reading when me and a friend discovered we were both rather rabidly into football (us both being female has baring here, since not all girls are all that into football, much less to my own extent) after having met on a discussion forum for something completely different. She is from Reading, and so started filling me in on the team. What grabbed me from the get-go was mainly the presence of Ivar and Bryn, which is natural me being from Iceland and all. She also managed to get me excited about the Irish contingent (I still have a soft spot for Doyle, SHunt not so much, except for the fact that he must've been instrumental in getting Noel here) and, don't shoot me down here, John Oster.

I still maintain that the fact that this all happening during the 106 season has no baring on it at all :) So I followed that season from her updates, and was very happy to see "us" promoted to the Prem, where I'd be able to actually watch (by the actual promotion they'd firmly settled into my no.2 team spot behind Man U who I'd followed since forever, for nothing other than having Ivar and Bryn, and always being a safe bet for predictions) Sadly I wasn't able to see nearly enough of our first season in the Prem as I would have liked, due to us not having the channel that airs it. I did buy the Season Review DVDs, and my friend got me 'Reading Between the Lines' for X-mas tho, so I feel better informed now. I had fixed that problem by the 2nd season, only for the season to turn out like it did. Managed to see my first and only game so far at the Mad Stad last season. It just HAD to be the 0-0 vs. QPR, but I still had a blast, met Ivar and Bryn at the carpark before the game as well as a few others (Harper and Bikey are the 2 that spring to mind) and enjoyed myself despite the scoreline. I still sort of blame us being in the playoffs last season for failing a course last spring, the final exam was the day after we lost the second game. Am enjoying the BMcD revolution, and the progress of The Sig (like him on all counts except for his local club around here, hate them with a passion) and quite looking forward to next season.

Paul Cowin

by Paul Cowin » 16 Apr 2010 07:00

I became a fan back in the mid 90's. Started watching the Royals because my boy worked for the club in a non playing capacity, but both me and my other son were ...I hate to say it....O*ford fans. My son got me some tickets to see Reading beat them 2-0, then came Wembley and the play-offs and we were both hooked. Since then we have both been regular fans, and have seen the Royals play 100's of times, even though I moved abroad 6 years ago I always manage to see a game or two when I come home. In the two magical Premier seasons I never missed a game as every single one of them was broadast live here. I also subscibe to Reading World so I can see the highlights of every game.

Even though I am 6,500 miles away from the Mad Stad I think of Reading every day and I can normally be found slobbing about in a RFC shirt..its 107f here right now so they keep me cool :lol:

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 16 Apr 2010 09:56

sandman
voyager1 Has anyone else on here ever came to Reading, originally as an away supporter for another team? or have some other story which doesn't involve the traditional "I was taken to my first Reading match at the age of 8"?

Only 8. Bloddy Plastics.

I started taking my daughters when they were 4. They were more interested in Kingsley and where he was, but now they love it. (8)

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 16 Apr 2010 11:41

I started by going to watch Southend when they came to Elm Park in the 90s, stood in with the home fans, though, in the Tilehurst end. Only became a regular once the Mad Stad opened and been a STH for 5 seasons now.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 16 Apr 2010 11:42

[quote="Maria Kr."]...us both being female has baring here...[/quote]
Sorry - it's not that kind of board. :D

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Apr 2010 11:51

I grew up in West London. My grandad and my uncle and all my grandad's brothers were ardent QPR supporters. He died when I was 10 and when I went to Secondary School (all girls), after we'd moved to Marlow, I became friends with a girl who went to all the Derby games with her brother. I had a soft spot for QPR due to my grandad and used to look out for their results. We were the only two girls in the school (it seemed) who liked football and would talk about it.

Our drama teacher at the time was married to Paul Birdseye who was the captain of Wycombe Wanderers - and we were quite excited that someone else in the school liked football and spoke about it too!

Then I met my ex husband, and he was a ST holder at Reading and said he'd take me to a game. So I went, that fateful day in October 1981 and I've been going ever since. When we split up, I ended up taking Schards and his mate to games, as I still had my ST, obviously, and I moved seats to sit with Schards and his brother. Then me and Schards got together and we still have STs and still go to games.

Some of my relations still go to QPR - but they don't seem to hold it against me that I've turned!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 16 Apr 2010 13:22

my sister in law (regular on the Chat room on match days) has absolutely nothing to do with Reading in her background, but is probably more obsessed with RFC than me and my brothers. Certainly more enthusiastic.

I followed Orient and Leicester a bit, when I used to live in their vicinity years ago. Metz now.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 16 Apr 2010 13:34

I moved away from the area and my fondness for Reading grew when i left in 1998. I always looked out for Reading's results but never went to Elm Park or to Mad Stad at an earlier age. When i turned 18 i took a friend along with me. Now i don't mind going on my own or taking my nephew along. He's only 7 but supports Reading even though his Mum is an Arsenal fan and his Dad is a Newcastle fan. (He sat with me on Tuesday while his Dad was in the away end).

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Apr 2010 13:37

LUX my sister in law (regular on the Chat room on match days)

She sounds fit, what is she wearing?

MICKLEOVER ROYAL

by MICKLEOVER ROYAL » 16 Apr 2010 14:55

Growing up in Lambeth in the 60s my Dad used to take me to see Chelsea (Tambling , Osgood , Cooke , Bonetti etc) first Reading match Boxing Day 68 or 69 beat Shrews 3-1.
Now living in Derby, I have switched allegiance to Mickleover Sports FC (top of the Unibond Div 1 South) only because im on the board of Directors.
Could be watching league matches against Chester City and Halifax Town next season both of whom I have seen Reading play in the league. :shock:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Apr 2010 15:06

I was born and brought up here and therefore am Reading till I die. Boring I'm afraid.

But I just wanted to say welcome. It's good to have you with us.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 Apr 2010 15:20

koran A very interesting post Voyager. Which club did you originally (and maybe still) support?

Reading's first season in the premiership did indeed prompt many to adopt them as their 'second team'. I think that was because of many factors - they played attacking, open football; they didn't harass the ref when decisions didn't go their way; they were generous in victory and dignified in defeat; they didn't try to spend their way out of trouble. Much of this was down to Sir Steve and his approach to the game. I was proud to be a Reading supporter in those days and, to be honest, I still am! Brian McD probably has a more pragmatic approach to management but his man-management of the players is great and he has brought out the best in players like Kebe and Sigurdsson.

After a game I often google the fans' forums of our opponents to read what they write about us. They are often very complimentary but the main feeling that comes across to me is how erudite, intelligent and humorous HNA is by comparison. Of course we have our fair share of t**ssers but - generally speaking - the level of debate is several floors higher than most clubs.

So welcome to Reading, Voyager. But be warned - it's a bumpy old ride!!!

I also tend to look at other fan-sites and agree with you about ours being ahead of the game...although I like the earthy Cardiff City site.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Apr 2010 15:59

Royal Lady Our drama teacher at the time was married to Paul Birdseye who was the captain of Wycombe Wanderers - and we were quite excited that someone else in the school liked football and spoke about it too!

Captain Birdseye :lol:

Are you sure about that?

CoveRoyal

by CoveRoyal » 16 Apr 2010 19:24

46yo, I was born in Woodley, but moved about 10 miles away to Yateley when I was 3yo I grew up a Chelsea fan, not sure why, but always LOOKED out for the Reading results as they were my 2nd team. My dad was born and grew up there. Tuesday 29th of August 2000 I took my son, who was 7yo at thetime , to his first game with his Grandad. Stoke at home and the score was 3-3. It's now October 28th at about 1pm out of the blue he said " are we going to football again today?" Ok. So off we went. Oxford at home, 4-3. I am sure you will remember that game, it poured!!!. Only tickets we could get in the North stand were at the front. We got soaked, but he loved it. We went to all the remaining games including the play off final. I left the Millenium stadium with a very quiet Daniel (my son) with a tear in his eye. "Dont worry we wll make it next year. Shall we get season tickets?" "yes please" he said. As they say the rest is history. He became an ardent Reading supporter, much to the amusement of his big 4 supporting friends in the begining. He would proudly wear his Reading shirt in to school on dressdown days and I had switched to being a Reading Fan with Chelsea as my 2nd team whose results I look out for. LOL. 25th March 2006, we were there at Leicester, and his team were now in the Prem. "Who is laughing now?" he said. Thing is, if Reading were still in League One we would still be going because he loves his football and his team. Not one to follow the crowd is my Daniel :)