Reading fans who came from other clubs

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

Re: Reading fans who came from other clubs

by Royalupnorth » 16 Apr 2010 19:51

As a student I got a job as a safety steward. Needing cash I whored myself out to anyone who would take me, doing stewarding for the Cricket test matches at the Oval and Lords, as well as Football matches for Oxford, Swindon and Reading.

I was a Physiotherapy student at the time, and remember asking the Swindon Physio about working in football and he custard pied me. When I asked Paul Turner during Reading matches (not during the match itself of course, we were both busy working ;) ) he was really helpful, culminating in him taking my phone number when I left university and stopped doing the Stewarding.
When RFC were applying for Academy status he phoned me and asked if I was interested in applying for the job. I did, and thanks to the gods shining on me that day I got the job.
I worked alongside Paul Turner for 2 seasons, during the 98/99 and 99/00 season before personal matters meant a move to Manchester was necessary.

Based on this experience, who else could I support?

(If you would've asked me on my first day at University I would've said I was a Swindon fan, but I knew nothing about football back then)

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 16 Apr 2010 19:51

voyager1 Has anyone else on here ever came to Reading, originally as an away supporter for another team? or have some other story which doesn't involve the traditional "I was taken to my first Reading match at the age of 8"?

My story is quite ironic. I was actually taken to my first game at the age of 8, sorry to burst the bubble. It was at Elm Park against Swindon and we lost 1-0.

Born and bred in Bristol, all of my friends support(ed) Bristol City. At the age of 8 until I was 11 I 'supported' Reading because it was what my dad did, and he was my idol. Personally I started loving Reading the night I saw them beat Wigan 2-1 in the Div 2 Play-Off Semi Final, I left feeling passion for them and I suddenly cared whether they won or lost with all my heart... But anyway, I was often bullied at school for being a Royal, the matches between the two teams have never lacked passion between fans and players alike. When we play it's guaranteed a team will win.

In our last 8 games we've shared a good 36 goals or something stupid between us. (That won't be right but I heard a simular stat not long ago).

I am a fond believer of 'support your local team' despite not doing so myself, football is all about towns and city's coming from all over the country (world) and playing each other with the pride of where they live. I love to think I am Berkshire born, I love Reading so much I have lied before and told people I was born there. In the 07/08 season I went to Man Utd Reading, and our fans were singing "We support our local team"... and I couldn't join in and sing purely 'cos I don't feel like I can. My family are aware how much I love my team and it shows when I go to the Bristol City matches (Note my avatar and Location: :wink:)

I love Reading with all my heart, but I was unfortunetely born in farm land.
I still sing to them with passion "You're Welsh and you know you are..."

I'm Reading through and through, and every game I go to is an away game.
URZZZZZZZZ!

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 16 Apr 2010 20:18

Royalupnorth As a student I got a job as a safety steward. Needing cash I whored myself out to anyone who would take me, doing stewarding for the Cricket test matches at the Oval and Lords, as well as Football matches for Oxford, Swindon and Reading.

I was a Physiotherapy student at the time, and remember asking the Swindon Physio about working in football and he custard pied me. When I asked Paul Turner during Reading matches (not during the match itself of course, we were both busy working ;) ) he was really helpful, culminating in him taking my phone number when I left university and stopped doing the Stewarding.
When RFC were applying for Academy status he phoned me and asked if I was interested in applying for the job. I did, and thanks to the gods shining on me that day I got the job.
I worked alongside Paul Turner for 2 seasons, during the 98/99 and 99/00 season before personal matters meant a move to Manchester was necessary.

Based on this experience, who else could I support?

(If you would've asked me on my first day at University I would've said I was a Swindon fan, but I knew nothing about football back then)

Great story.^
Although I was born in Reading I spent my first nine years living in Newbury. I didn't really support any team, like a lot of small children I 'liked' Man utd although I never went to a game and probably had never heard of any of the players and my uncle was also trying to lure me into supporting Southampton. I had never heard of Reading F.C.

I moved to Reading in 1985 and my primary school teacher was David Downs and me and my classmates used to get free tickets and from then I was hooked. So a big thankyou from me to 'Mr Downs'!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 16 Apr 2010 20:35

CoveRoyal 46yo, I was born in Woodley, but moved about 10 miles away to Yateley when I was 3yo I grew up a Chelsea fan, not sure why, but always LOOKED out for the Reading results as they were my 2nd team. My dad was born and grew up there. Tuesday 29th of August 2000 I took my son, who was 7yo at thetime , to his first game with his Grandad. Stoke at home and the score was 3-3. It's now October 28th at about 1pm out of the blue he said " are we going to football again today?" Ok. So off we went. Oxford at home, 4-3. I am sure you will remember that game, it poured!!!. Only tickets we could get in the North stand were at the front. We got soaked, but he loved it. We went to all the remaining games including the play off final. I left the Millenium stadium with a very quiet Daniel (my son) with a tear in his eye. "Dont worry we wll make it next year. Shall we get season tickets?" "yes please" he said. As they say the rest is history. He became an ardent Reading supporter, much to the amusement of his big 4 supporting friends in the begining. He would proudly wear his Reading shirt in to school on dressdown days and I had switched to being a Reading Fan with Chelsea as my 2nd team whose results I look out for. LOL. 25th March 2006, we were there at Leicester, and his team were now in the Prem. "Who is laughing now?" he said. Thing is, if Reading were still in League One we would still be going because he loves his football and his team. Not one to follow the crowd is my Daniel :)

Nice story Cove and big ups to your son!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Apr 2010 20:45

Norfolk Royal
Royal Lady Our drama teacher at the time was married to Paul Birdseye who was the captain of Wycombe Wanderers - and we were quite excited that someone else in the school liked football and spoke about it too!

Captain Birdseye :lol:

Are you sure about that?

:lol: I know!! I'm perfectly sure though ta!

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 17 Apr 2010 07:14

One thing does worry me about this thread. The amount of people who support different teams to their parents. I'll be honest, there's very little reason for me to move back to Reading other than the football team. I always planned to live in London. If I have kids, is there a good chance that they'll grow up to support Spurs, Arsenal or, God forbid, Chelsea? I'll try to take them to matches from a young age, hope it'll be enough.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Apr 2010 10:00

I was brought up in Wigan and was a Liverpool supporter, I'd go to the odd game but mostly watch them on TV. Then I started going to watch Wigan at Springfield park in the northern premier league for a few seasons until they got promoted to the league, at that point the price to see Wigan was pretty well the same as going to watch Liverpool, call me a tight git, but I ditched them and went to stand in the paddock at Liverpool instead. Since then I've only ever been in the away end at Wigan or Liverpool.

After a bit of a gap of about 10 years I ended up being an economic migrant and living in Reading, I decided to take my son to support his local team, he was 6 then and we both got hooked and have gone to pretty well every home game ever since. I lol a bit at "where were you when you were shit" chants, cos the first season we started going was truly dire near the bottom of league 1, but there was something about the day out at the Mad Stad that kept us going (although games against Walsall really where testing). Although I still follow the results for Wigan or Liverpool there's no doubt where my loyalties lies now.

I don't approve of the"dirty northern bastard" chants, so please refrain from that in future. Thanks.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 17 Apr 2010 10:19

I was a Liverpool fan bought up in London then Surrey, till my family moved near to Reading when I was about 10. A mate of mine's brother used to be the Reading physio and she got free tickets to the games.

My first game I went to was at Elm Park and we played Chelsea. For the life of me I cannot remember the score or the date (if anyone can help I would be most grateful), but we lost. We had Ray Houghton playing and I got really sunburnt on the South Bank. We were also allowed into the players lounge after the game which was a dump and I got to meet Zola! :D

Been going ever since.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 17 Apr 2010 13:27

sandman
voyager1 Has anyone else on here ever came to Reading, originally as an away supporter for another team? or have some other story which doesn't involve the traditional "I was taken to my first Reading match at the age of 8"?

Only started going at 8 years old. Bloddy Plastics.

+1
Well, minus 1 actually, I was 7

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 17 Apr 2010 17:41

The amount of people that cheered in the hotel when Man United scored was almost embarrassing. :roll:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Apr 2010 18:10

SLAMMED The amount of people that cheered in the hotel when Man United scored was almost embarrassing. :roll:

Same in the concourse. In y25, pathetic.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 17 Apr 2010 18:20

FiNeRaIn
SLAMMED The amount of people that cheered in the hotel when Man United scored was almost embarrassing. :roll:

Same in the concourse. In y25, pathetic.

But were some cheering against Money(scum)bags City?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 17 Apr 2010 18:22

Doubt it. It appears some still get "satisfaction" from supporting a team like Man United when they live in Reading.

Bubbly4Me

by Bubbly4Me » 18 Apr 2010 19:48

I'm in my 2nd year as a ST holder now, although it would be more but I couldn't even get a ticket to most matches when we were in the prem. Bloody plastics!

I moved to Wantage, from Watford. Used to go to Watford as much as I could, but I'm agoraphobic so crowds weren't the best for me :( Got a lot better, mentaly, and applied for a Watford season ticket a few years back. I wanted to sit next to my sister (ST holder there) and the person next to her wasn't renewing but they wouldn't let me have it. They kept saying it was taken and the only place they could offer me was in the Rookery. This was no good for me as I needed to sit next to my sister to help with the panic stuff. I even explained the situation to them a number of times but they wouldn't help. :(

I really wanted to watch Championship footie so I randomly checked the Reading web site (being close to Wantage) and found 2 ST seats in a great position for me (back row, East stand) and snapped them up. They'll be mine 'till I die now :)

I still go to all Watford games that don't clash with ours (which isn't many as we have the same schedule for some reason) but my blood has certainly turned towards the blue side!

Oh, and the seat next to my sister wasn't sold and is still available. W*nkers!

Next Saturday will be interesting. If we're still in any kind of shout for the playoff's I'll be backing the hoops, but if we're out of the running, I'll be yellow for the day coz I really don't want the 'Orns to go down.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 18 Apr 2010 22:16

Ah the switching clubs question!
Was bought up the salubrious North Derbyshire mining town of Bolsover, and supported, throughout my youth, the mighty Chesterfield. Started watching them in 66’ after the World Cup win. Followed them through many promotions, and just as much relegation. Went three seasons in 70’s without missing a game home or away. Including hitch hiking to a Tuesday night away match in Aldershot.

Moved down south to Maidenhead in 1980. First few visits to Reading were as an away supporter on the town end. Involved in a couple of punch ups with the Reading boys in the early eighties, including a spectacular one on the roundabout behind the Southbank in about ’82.

Getting married, having kids and paying for a big house cut down my footie trips during the late 80’s. Still managed a few trips to see the ‘Spirites’ but far fewer than before.

Went to see the first Reading game at Elm Park, as a home supporter, in 1993 and went to my first away game v Fulham during the same season. Liked the place as it was as equally run down and the home supporters had the same humour and banter as at Saltergate.

Bought a season ticket the following season 1994-95 and have missed only two Royals home games since.

Knew I had swapped teams when on a trip to watch a Chesterfield v Reading game I walked up Saltergate and turned right up St Margaret’s Drive to watch the game with the Reading fans on the Compton Street terraces.

Still follow Chesterfield from afar and will be at Saltergate for the final league game to be played there on May 8th.

Also hoping for a playoff final Chesterfield v Aldershot

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 18 Apr 2010 22:51

I first got in to footy, as a spritely 9 year old. 'Ding were top of the old Division 2 and were marketing around the local schools. I probably got the scores off teletext. I badgered the old man to take me to Elm Park and got to the match with Brighton & HA on 30/04/1994, 2-0 standard win. Quinn Pen and header, I remember Steve Foster with his head band, and the goals vividly. And thinking football must be like this everyweek with a pitch invasion etc....

I went sporadically over the next years, cathing just 2 more games at EP, when the old fella could afford to take us. I got a b'day treat to the Mad Stad to see us play Notts C, great OG in a 1-0 win. Later that season, I went with mates as a 15-y-o and fell in love, even though we got beaten by City 3-1 and have been going ever since.

This season is the 1st year i've not done a season ticket after a few issues, but fair oxf*rd im certainly behind Brian McDermott now.

Thru watching 'ding i've met some great people, and have managed to get "affiliations" with other sides, such as Rangers, Maidenhead United and Exeter City. Who I'd gladly see play any time I cant see the Royals.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 24 Nov 2015 10:14

Bubbly4Me I'm in my 2nd year as a ST holder now, although it would be more but I couldn't even get a ticket to most matches when we were in the prem. Bloody plastics!

I moved to Wantage, from Watford. Used to go to Watford as much as I could, but I'm agoraphobic so crowds weren't the best for me :( Got a lot better, mentaly, and applied for a Watford season ticket a few years back. I wanted to sit next to my sister (ST holder there) and the person next to her wasn't renewing but they wouldn't let me have it. They kept saying it was taken and the only place they could offer me was in the Rookery. This was no good for me as I needed to sit next to my sister to help with the panic stuff. I even explained the situation to them a number of times but they wouldn't help. :(

I really wanted to watch Championship footie so I randomly checked the Reading web site (being close to Wantage) and found 2 ST seats in a great position for me (back row, East stand) and snapped them up. They'll be mine 'till I die now :)

I still go to all Watford games that don't clash with ours (which isn't many as we have the same schedule for some reason) but my blood has certainly turned towards the blue side!

Oh, and the seat next to my sister wasn't sold and is still available. W*nkers!

Next Saturday will be interesting. If we're still in any kind of shout for the playoff's I'll be backing the hoops, but if we're out of the running, I'll be yellow for the day coz I really don't want the 'Orns to go down.

you still around, Bubbly?

HB BTW

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 24 Nov 2015 12:21

My dad (plus my grandfather and uncle) are Reading fans, so from a young age I was a Reading fan.

My favourite player was Shaka Hislop, to the point that I cried when he left and went through a time of supporting Newcastle (although I still went to Reading games and they were my 'second team'). After Shaka lost his place in the side, I lost interest and thankfully didn't follow him onto West Ham or Pompey. I don't remember this as I was only around three or four at the time, but my dad knew Jeff Hopkins and we used to go in the players' bar after games. One day, I got to meet Shaka and he was, according to my dad, the nicest bloke ever. He bought me a Coke and sat me up on the bar, and chatted to me and generally went out off his way to make time for a wetbag four year old who was probably crying throughout (I was a bit of a gimp). My old man always remembered that and it has stuck with me since being told the story again.

I had always gone to Reading games in the intervening years and they became my first team again, around 1999, and I don't have a soft spot for Newcastle at all nowadays.

My best mate supports Plymouth and I always look out for their results - I go to an away game with him here and there and their fans are mental. They're closest to being my 'second' team now but I don't get upset if they lose.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 24 Nov 2015 12:33

I was born in Newport, Mon (now Gwent) and followed Newport County for donkey's years but it's expensive driving down to South Wales, paying for the bridge etc. I moved to the Reading area in 2001, still commuted to South Wales but started getting stick from the Mrs for the expensive day out. Began missing games.

Took a casual interest in Reading FC, but because I didn't follow them, I still thought of them as "similar to" NCAFC and barely registered that they had moved up in the world until the 106 season when my son took an interest and we got to a few games (no ST).

Started watching in the first Prem season and got a season ticket the next. I now consider RFC to be my first team. I say that because I've always been an Arsenal fan (and a County fan but when we played both clubs recently I wanted RFC to win.

I loved the Reading spirit under Coppell and The Bald One and it's slightly disappointing that this has partly gone ATM

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 24 Nov 2015 12:37

Snowball136 I was born in Newport, Mon (now Gwent)

Did it used to be in Jamaica?