Reading fans who came from other clubs

Snowball136

Re: Reading fans who came from other clubs

by Snowball136 » 24 Nov 2015 12:38

MoorgateRoyal
Snowball136 I was born in Newport, Mon (now Gwent)

Did it used to be in Jamaica?

Took me a while to get that, me bro.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Nov 2015 12:43

Maria Kr. don't shoot me down here, John Oster.
Your safe, He put all that behind him after the Sunderland incident.

(I left it 5 years to post this..... is it still too soon?)

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 24 Nov 2015 12:56

My first game was in October 2001 vs Bristol City (won 3-2) when I was 8 years old. Only went because my dad did business with Reading Chronicle and we had nothing to do on that Saturday.

We drove down to watch Pompey vs Man City the next week but was sold out, so we instead drove up to Reading again to watch us play Welling in the FA Cup (won 1-0).

Since then we have been to nearly every home game and as many away games as we can. Could have been so different had we got a ticket at Pompey that weekend...

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Nov 2015 13:31

My uncle was a Man United fan through and through. He's now a Reading STH and fan with a soft spot for United.

He raised his eldest girl to support United, and in her teens she became a die-hard Royal. STH with her husband and all the kids go.

He tried to get me to change from Reading to United (there's pictures of me when I was younger in a United kit :oops: ), and I had a while where I had a bit of an interest in them alongside Reading but that quickly died off, it was always Reading. Eventually he gave up and joined the hooped side.

Rainham Dagger

by Rainham Dagger » 24 Nov 2015 13:40

I've never felt a particularly strong affiliation to any club, and tend to file those that do alongside people who will always steadfastly vote for the same political party regardless of the polices.

"Only a fool never changes his mind"

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Nov 2015 14:40

*blink*

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Nov 2015 17:32

Nice thread bumping Lux.

AndyRFC Later that season, I went with mates as a 15-y-o and fell in love

But I'm sure the question we're all wondering about it whether AndyRFC is still in love with his mate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Nov 2015 19:05

6ft Kerplunk Nice thread bumping Lux.

AndyRFC Later that season, I went with mates as a 15-y-o and fell in love

But I'm sure the question we're all wondering about it whether AndyRFC is still in love with his mate.

Did he/she recipreciate or is AndyRFC still in the friendzone?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Nov 2015 20:58

Grew up supporting Spurs, but kept an eye on Reading's results, which is about all you could do in early 80s Bracknell (in terms of following Reading FC, not in general, although...) as they got zero coverage in the national press*, and TVS would rather cut out their own tongues than put a Reading game on.

I didn't even know where the ground was. I knew it was somewhere to the west of the town centre, but that was it. I'd never seen a map of Reading that covered more than the town centre, and the only bigger maps were ordnance survey maps, which didn't have a football ground symbol.

That was until my brother called called up to do jury service at the courts down Tilehurst Road in early 1986, and the map they sent showed the football ground.

I think I went along to the very next game, just out of curiosity (a 2-0 win v Newport), and found I really enjoyed it. I went to the next game too, a win v Bury, and the next. It was at the third I realised I was a fan, bought a scarf to confirm my status, and promptly saw my first home defeat.

The following year I left school, and as luck would have it, Reading and Spurs were at home on alternate weekends virtually all season, so I watched both. I did similar the following year, but I found the lure of Spurs waning as the glamour wore off, and Reading games just started meaning more to me.

I think I knew it was over when I saw a Spurs game v Middlesbrough, who had Trevor Senior up front for them. Spurs won 3-2, scoring two late penalties, and rather than being pleased, I just felt a bit sorry for Trevor.

* younger fans just won't appreciate how little coverage there was of football outside the top two divisions back then. Divs 3 & 4 got covered, even in the tabloids, with a "round up", similar in size to how the conference gets covered now. Local news didn't show any goals from games on Mondays. There was no football league show showing all the goals (there weren't even cameras at most games in the old first division,which seems really odd now). BBC would show highlights on MotD from a lower division game maybe every month or two. TVS would show local games, but it would almost always be Southampton, Portsmouth or Brighton.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 24 Nov 2015 22:48

I started supporting Reading when they went up. Glory hunter? Fairweather fan? Yep......