FAO Hobnob

146 posts
User avatar
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 47289
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 10:17
Location: Don't mess with "my sort". Cheers then.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Royal Lady » 06 Sep 2012 09:02

adief wrote:
Royal Lady wrote:Have to say, I agree with Ian. Say me and Rouge paid our tenners and joined - then what? One or both of us put our names forward to be co-opted onto the board? Who's going to vote for us? There will be people within STAR who know who we are from what we say on here etc - are you seriously suggesting they won't mention this fact to some of their mates in STAR? I may be doing them a great dis-service, but if I was a member of a group and we'd been doing things the same old way for years and no-one within that group ever challenged it - I'd be mighty suspicious of some new person coming in and potentially wanting to change things - so I wouldn't vote them onto the board and, even if they got onto the board, I wouldn't agree with what they want to change, because it's "worked ok so far". If someone could categorically tell me that this wouldn't happen - I'd join STAR. No question.


Get a grip - it's a tinpot organisation that has absolutely zero influence on club matters and never will regardless of what you would like to think if it was run by the likes of yourself......what exactly has it done to change anything over the years and why would you make a difference?

I was responding to the posts saying "why not join and make a difference" - thanks for your interest though.

User avatar
Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5320
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 14:58
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Sep 2012 13:04

Sebastian wrote:Here's my plan:

If 100 nobbers join STAR for a tenner and vote for me as Chairman, I'll win, and then throw a victory party for all my supporters, and then empty the STAR coffers on booze, drugs and whores to reward them for their faith in me.

Anyone keen?


Fatally flawed plan. Any member can be elected to the Board, which then votes for a Chairman. You can't vote directly for Chairman.

And if you did, you'd not have that much power - the Chair is just that, a Chair, not the wielder of supreme executive power, and the rules say that the money can't be pissed away or debts incurred.

This is an IPS, a properly accountable legal body - it's not a football club!

adief
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 Apr 2012 11:01

Re: FAO Hobnob

by adief » 06 Sep 2012 16:48

Royal Lady wrote:
adief wrote:
Royal Lady wrote:Have to say, I agree with Ian. Say me and Rouge paid our tenners and joined - then what? One or both of us put our names forward to be co-opted onto the board? Who's going to vote for us? There will be people within STAR who know who we are from what we say on here etc - are you seriously suggesting they won't mention this fact to some of their mates in STAR? I may be doing them a great dis-service, but if I was a member of a group and we'd been doing things the same old way for years and no-one within that group ever challenged it - I'd be mighty suspicious of some new person coming in and potentially wanting to change things - so I wouldn't vote them onto the board and, even if they got onto the board, I wouldn't agree with what they want to change, because it's "worked ok so far". If someone could categorically tell me that this wouldn't happen - I'd join STAR. No question.


Get a grip - it's a tinpot organisation that has absolutely zero influence on club matters and never will regardless of what you would like to think if it was run by the likes of yourself......what exactly has it done to change anything over the years and why would you make a difference?

I was responding to the posts saying "why not join and make a difference" - thanks for your interest though.


.....but you imply that under different circumstances you could make a difference hence my question which is based on the contention that organisations such as STAR are a waste of time and energy.....apart from booking away game coaches which I gather they are very good at.

User avatar
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 47289
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 10:17
Location: Don't mess with "my sort". Cheers then.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Royal Lady » 06 Sep 2012 19:07

Well, for a start, I WOULD make a difference, because I would look at threads on here and gauge the opinion of people - if I thought it warranted mentioning at a STAR meeting, I'd mention it. That doesn't happen at the moment. But, I take your point - and actually, my post was, in the main, agreeing that nothing would ever change!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11768
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 18:25
Location: WE ARE NOT YOUR KIND

Re: FAO Hobnob

by sandman » 06 Sep 2012 19:17

Royal Lady wrote:Well, for a start, I WOULD make a difference, because I would look at threads on here and gauge the opinion of people - if I thought it warranted mentioning at a STAR meeting, I'd mention it. That doesn't happen at the moment. But, I take your point - and actually, my post was, in the main, agreeing that nothing would ever change!


Doomed within a couple of days.


User avatar
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 47289
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 10:17
Location: Don't mess with "my sort". Cheers then.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Royal Lady » 06 Sep 2012 19:24

I meant about important things - it's pretty easy to tell who is a WUM and who isn't on threads to do with the kit, prices of booze in the ground etc etc. Don't worry, I doubt it will be happening anyway.

User avatar
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 13448
Joined: 06 Jul 2004 08:39
Location: enjoying the money

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Sep 2012 08:58

once again we have the foolish idea that the club give a shit about the price of beer or how long it takes to get served. There is very little STAR can do other than at times put across an opinion on a club proposal, or offer one if asked about something new from the club.

If people dont like STAR they dont join, if they dont like the prices dont pay it.

How about a no drink day in the East, set up a FB page or something and start a group boycotting the high prices, wont happen and unless something like that does the prices will remain high, much like the local buses etc etc etc.
Oh and ticket prices.

Alex can you dig out what they should be from the agreement or whatever it was when all seater had to be introduced, ta.

User avatar
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 13448
Joined: 06 Jul 2004 08:39
Location: enjoying the money

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Sep 2012 08:58

once again we have the foolish idea that the club give a shit about the price of beer or how long it takes to get served. There is very little STAR can do other than at times put across an opinion on a club proposal, or offer one if asked about something new from the club.

If people dont like STAR they dont join, if they dont like the prices dont pay it.

How about a no drink day in the East, set up a FB page or something and start a group boycotting the high prices, wont happen and unless something like that does the prices will remain high, much like the local buses etc etc etc.
Oh and ticket prices.

Alex can you dig out what they should be from the agreement or whatever it was when all seater had to be introduced, ta.

User avatar
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 47289
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 10:17
Location: Don't mess with "my sort". Cheers then.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Royal Lady » 07 Sep 2012 09:01

I was using those as examples. :roll:

We'll still buy a drink at the ground cos we enjoy it before a game. And we can't be bothered to go anywhere else, so that's up to us - if you'd like to point me in the direction where I've, personally, moaned about the price of a drink, please do. I was just thinking of examples of where people complain/suggest/whatever on here.


User avatar
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 13448
Joined: 06 Jul 2004 08:39
Location: enjoying the money

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Sep 2012 09:11

The point is that the club actually don't listen that much to STAR, be it drinks buses, food, hoops all round, the list is almost endless.

One thing STAR did keep taking up with the club was stewarding, yet no one wanted to attend meetings set up with the club, which they tried two or three times I recall.

Also STAR is more than just a liaison with RFC, it has other objectives that have been posted on HNA? in the past.

They have done a lot of work on safe standing and ownership of football clubs at a national level, much of which involved a lot of time from some board members I believe, that is all general football, and just as likely to trickle down to changes at club level.

User avatar
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 47289
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 10:17
Location: Don't mess with "my sort". Cheers then.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Royal Lady » 07 Sep 2012 09:16

Well, first and foremost I'd expect a Supporter's Trust at my football club to put Club before country as it were. I don't doubt they've worked hard behind the scenes, I know what Dirk has done in the past for them - but he was also much more willing to discuss it on here.

If people's perception of STAR and what they do is wrong, it would be nice if STAR could come on here, once in a while, and put us right - but sometimes, the attitude of one or two of them is so defensive they tend to get a few backs up and alienate STAR from the rest of us by themselves. The message to Cypry was indicative of that - "as you've shown remorse, we'll say no more about it" or somesuch rubbish. Really doesn't help foster a good relationship imo.

User avatar
Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5320
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 14:58
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Sep 2012 09:28

There's no doubt that the Cypry was cocked up wholesale. An assumption was made that everyone at the FF knew the "ground rules" so people there weren't reminded of them and the valid reasons for them. And, again IMHO, if STAR had just said at the time "Sorry, we cocked up" and explained why FF notes shouldn't be published then things would have been a whole lot better in this situation and people wouldn't be using it as a stick to beat them with. (Well, not all of them - some people will beat them with whatever they can, whatever they do, because this is the internet.)

But every organisation makes PR mistakes from time to time and I think this one has been blown up massively disproportionately.

As with so much else with STAR, Reading FC, the leagues, the police and nearly everything else in the world, the actual truth is that someone cocked up, but the internet view is that the incident is evidence of some convoluted conspiracy against them.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2847
Joined: 20 Nov 2005 00:08
Location: is it time to go home?

Re: FAO Hobnob

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Sep 2012 11:23

Royal Lady wrote:Have to say, I agree with Ian. Say me and Rouge paid our tenners and joined - then what? One or both of us put our names forward to be co-opted onto the board? Who's going to vote for us? There will be people within STAR who know who we are from what we say on here etc - are you seriously suggesting they won't mention this fact to some of their mates in STAR? I may be doing them a great dis-service, but if I was a member of a group and we'd been doing things the same old way for years and no-one within that group ever challenged it - I'd be mighty suspicious of some new person coming in and potentially wanting to change things - so I wouldn't vote them onto the board and, even if they got onto the board, I wouldn't agree with what they want to change, because it's "worked ok so far". If someone could categorically tell me that this wouldn't happen - I'd join STAR. No question.


So what you are saying is that those actively involved in STAR don't share your views, yet you complain they don't do what you want.

Welcome to democracy!! No fans org can represent the views of all fans


User avatar
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 47289
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 10:17
Location: Don't mess with "my sort". Cheers then.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Royal Lady » 08 Sep 2012 12:44

No, I'm not actually saying that at all. I don't know what their views are enough to form an opinion as to whether I agree with them or not.
I'm not bothering with this anymore.

User avatar
cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 33469
Joined: 21 Apr 2004 22:50
Location: Nob nob nob nob nob nob

Re: FAO Hobnob

by cmonurz » 09 Sep 2012 10:43

I thought this thread was about the STAR forum on a website the organisation says it doesn't recognise and won't communicate with. The forum should be deleted.

User avatar
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Posts: 12632
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 21:46
Location: Doesn't really matter how, just so long as it's now. 

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Platypuss » 09 Sep 2012 10:51

Times and people change. Just because STAR are being shortsighted and churlish at the moment, it doesn't mean HNA has to act in the same way.

User avatar
Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5320
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 14:58
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by Alexander Litvinenko » 09 Sep 2012 11:28

cmonurz wrote:I thought this thread was about the STAR forum on a website the organisation says it doesn't recognise and won't communicate with. The forum should be deleted.


Again, there are some very useful and informative things in the 16 pages of this forum. IMHO it would be a shame to lose all that, even if it isn't currently being added to.

User avatar
blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2094
Joined: 02 Sep 2010 02:11

Re: FAO Hobnob

by blueroyals » 09 Sep 2012 22:41

Make it read-only then. IMO STAR have alienated possibly the only way to engage in two-way communication with Reading fans on a semi-large scale. It's their loss.

Where are they going to go now? RR? :lol:

What a joke of an organisation.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2847
Joined: 20 Nov 2005 00:08
Location: is it time to go home?

Re: FAO Hobnob

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Sep 2012 20:04

Royal Lady wrote:Well, for a start, I WOULD make a difference, because I would look at threads on here and gauge the opinion of people - if I thought it warranted mentioning at a STAR meeting, I'd mention it. That doesn't happen at the moment. But, I take your point - and actually, my post was, in the main, agreeing that nothing would ever change!


There are already people on hna that are STAR members. If none of them can be arsed to raise the issues why should anyone else?

Some issues are raised, eg the stewarding after the match.

As fir someone else posting about getting '100 nobbers' to vote for them, how many active posters are there on hobnob, i suspect significantly less than 100. Names pop up but hakf of them are existing posters with a new alias

User avatar
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 11365
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 22:39
Location: Sorry Jaap, even I now think you have lost the plot.

Re: FAO Hobnob

by RoyalBlue » 26 Sep 2012 13:39

Royal Lady wrote:I meant about important things - it's pretty easy to tell who is a WUM and who isn't on threads to do with the kit, prices of booze in the ground etc etc.



It is indeed very easy to spot the WUMs in most cases. The serious & genuine concerns do tend to stand out like sore thumbs but equally tend to get ignored/dismissed.

146 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

It is currently 20 Nov 2018 15:56