Technical Suggestion for HNA & STAR

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Technical Suggestion for HNA & STAR

by glenroyal » 05 Sep 2012 16:23

In these days of RSS feeds, URI shortners, and social media integration and the like, is it not a simple matter for new posts on the STAR site, to simply appear simultaneously in the STAR Forum of HobNob as new topics (and on the relevant facebook pages) with links back to the original STAR items. There are two news items on the STAR home page dated this week, that don't get a mention on here.

Any reason why hard-earned voluntary activity is not shared to promote the very existence of activity ?
Certainly no excuse for invisibility of information.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Technical Suggestion for HNA & STAR

by Royal Lady » 05 Sep 2012 16:30

Glen - I think it's because STAR can't be bothered - I think they feel if there are STAR members on here, they'll have seen the STAR website and they don't want to put stuff on here that non-members will see. Or something like that.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 05 Sep 2012 16:48

Royal Lady Glen - I think it's because STAR can't be bothered - I think they feel if there are STAR members on here, they'll have seen the STAR website and they don't want to put stuff on here that non-members will see. Or something like that.

I sincerely doubt that RL.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 05 Sep 2012 17:02

RL has hit the nail on the head tbh

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Sep 2012 17:05

I think the stumbling block is that if they post stuff up here it gives people the right of reply.

Perhaps they could liaise with Graham to have a read only forum or something?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Sep 2012 17:53

Green I think the stumbling block is that if they post stuff up here it gives people the right of reply.

STAR have mod access in this forum - if they wanted to they could put the news story/link up as a thread here then lock it.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 06 Sep 2012 09:30

Platypuss
Green I think the stumbling block is that if they post stuff up here it gives people the right of reply.

STAR have mod access in this forum - if they wanted to they could put the news story/link up as a thread here then lock it.

I was thinking in terms of automating it - ie to avoid another chore for thankless volunteers. (Can't see any point in read only.)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 07 Sep 2012 17:57

I raised this with our webmaster (it is way beyond me even if was going to stay on the Board) when I saw him at the AGM and he is going to look into it.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Sep 2012 10:38

I suspect STAR feel that they get information to their members through their own website.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Sep 2012 18:13

So why did they ever feel the need to have a STAR forum on here?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 08 Sep 2012 18:44

Royal Lady So why did they ever feel the need to have a STAR forum on here?

on another thread "STAR" is individuals, not a single entity that has a single set of views. Opinions of HNA vary amongst individuals, I'm sure.

The experience some have had is that they get abused by anonymous people here - how do they know who is a WUM and who is genuine, without spending half their lives here to know the individuals concerned? How do they know what is a serious issue and what is petty/trivial/untrue/a wind-up?

It was suggested by a moderator that STAR had a forum and at the time it was embraced by the communications arm of STAR but as the people involved changed to those who are not habitually on HNA, it has not been as active.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Sep 2012 09:23

Hence the offer to weed out the WUMs etc and put forward any genuine concerns or whatever to STAR, but, as we know, STAR didn't want to know. HNA has always been full of WUMs/people who love being abusive to others and people with differing opinions.

Anyway, as I've said, I'm not bothering with this anymore - I suggest anyone on here who has genuine concerns or whatever contact the club directly, as I have. I'm sure the club will be delighted to have repetitive emails from people about the same subject, and maybe they'll start to question why STAR can't collate them and bring them to the club themselves.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 09 Sep 2012 12:33

Personaly I feel that multiple mails from different individuals on the same subject can be more effect than one communication. It gives a much stronger perception of the strength of feeling. Is this one individual, 20, 100, 1000... something you cannot judge when an umbrella organisation is representing peoples views

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1