Veto on changes to the club's image

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Veto on changes to the club's image

by STAR Liaison » 19 Mar 2014 11:01

Luton Town have become the first English club to give supporters the legal right to veto any future change to the club's image.

The Hatters' supporters' group Trust in Luton will be given the final say over amendments to the club's name, nickname, kit colours, crest or mascot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26575873

What do you think about this story / action?

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Veto on changes to the club's image

by Royal Biscuitman » 19 Mar 2014 12:04

Worth noting too that Hull City's name change to Hull Tigers has not been approved (yet) for historical reasons and because of the fans etc.

I would like to see Reading FC's club name protected and for the club to always be based in Reading, the kit colours and badge are important too but nickname and mascot I'm not bothered about - sorry Kingsley and a nickname is something others give not something that can be manufactured.

Currently, Fans do have the power to veto a new kit by simply choosing not to buy it - the club will soon change it back again.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Mar 2014 15:24

Agree re mascots!

Bit surprised at the cloud of indifference greeting this thread.

Does it not matter much?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Mar 2014 16:15

I think the fan's should have a veto on changes to the club's name/shirts etc - not bothered about Kingsley or Queensley to be fair.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Mar 2014 16:25

Royal Lady I think the fan's should have a veto on changes to the club's name/shirts etc - not bothered about Kingsley or Queensley to be fair.

Well, that's three of us then.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Mar 2014 16:27

A case of locking the stable door long after the horse has bolted for this disillusioned fan.

Which one would you protect? Does the current strip/crest/nickname have any more resonance than any of the previous? Not to me, so I couldn't really give a damn about any "veto".

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Mar 2014 16:30

Green A case of locking the stable door long after the horse has bolted for this disillusioned fan.

Which one would you protect? Does the current strip/crest/nickname have any more resonance than any of the previous? Not to me, so I couldn't really give a damn about any "veto".

If a new owner tried to change the strip to Red and white with no hoops it would make a very big difference to me. Crest not so important as that has changed a few times since I started supporting.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 20 Mar 2014 16:48

I admit I wasn't around at the time but what was the reaction in the early 80's to early 90's when the strip was changed to either blue stripes (large stripes) and wholly blue.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Mar 2014 17:04

I didn't like the change, but people got used to it. I'm more bothered about changing colours and changing our name from the Royals to something like the Reading Rockets or whatever.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 21 Mar 2014 09:33

UpThePrem I admit I wasn't around at the time but what was the reaction in the early 80's to early 90's when the strip was changed to either blue stripes (large stripes) and wholly blue.

When we abandoned hoops in 1983 I believe the reaction was quite quiet, despite us adopting the national colours of a country we'd been at war with a year previous! Anything better than Thames Valley United yellow I guess.

Return to hoops in 1992(?) met with enthusiasm. Post Hat Painting anything would have.

Only key items for me are the name and the colours (ie blue and white, hoops) - to refer back to an earlier poster.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2014 11:25

Sebastian I would be happy for the club to relocate, change name, change colours, change nickname and crest - but if they EVER try to get rid of Queensly I will, quite literally, lose my shit.

:lol: :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Mar 2014 22:46

Sounds like a positive to me.

Although if we can't convince the club to give us a decent hooped kit, I'm not sure how much chance there is for this.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 28 Mar 2014 00:48

Ian Royal Sounds like a positive to me.

Although if we can't convince the club to give us a decent hooped kit, I'm not sure how much chance there is for this.

Even if they come up with proper hoops they always figure out a way to muck it up just enough to make you want to see next year's because it will be better.

Regarding vetoing image:
The kit has got to be blue and white hoops (or as close as we get to them most years). Stripes in 80s were poor.
I think this is the third club badge I've known so I'd like to stick with it.
Even Kingsley's grown on me. I wouldn't storm the barricades to save him or his missus though.

It's not exactly image but we need to stick to Lux Aeterna while also ensuring Kevin Girdler's pop classic gets a regular airing. I like the current use of Baba O'Riley, although I'm not really sure why teenage wasteland is an appropriate cultural reference. Is it because the Mad Stad overlooks McDonalds car park?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 31 Mar 2014 13:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26818315

Cardiff City ST now making a plea, following on from activity at Hull.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1