Crowdfunder

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lightning strikes

Crowdfunder

by lightning strikes » 11 May 2017 18:02

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but with the club up for sale every other year, is this an opportunity for STAR to obtain a % of the club with a fan fundraiser?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Crowdfunder

by Nameless » 11 May 2017 19:49

In short, no.
STAR had shares in the old club .
There is no chance any owners would sell off token amounts of shares.

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 12 May 2017 05:24

What about if we asked really really nicely and said please?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 06:40

Would you ask in Thai or Chinese though ?
It's a private company, there is no market for shares in it.
Probably a good job as well, if you use the nonsense we spout on HNA as a guide letting fans have a say on how the club is run would at best be 'interesting' !

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 May 2017 13:12

If STAR had £30m or so then i'm sure the Thai owners would be happy to sit down and have talks. It just needs 30,000 Reading fans to donate £1k each, then the club is ours and all the running costs and debt that comes with it

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 May 2017 14:07

Forbury Lion If STAR had £30m or so then i'm sure the Thai owners would be happy to sit down and have talks. It just needs 30,000 Reading fans to donate £1k each, then the club is ours and all the running costs and debt that comes with it

I'll donate a grand. Let's be a supporter owned football club. We can elect a leader to make decisions. I nominate Dr_Hruffhurer or whatever his name is. He's clever.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 14:33

I'll donate a grand as well, but I want us to be a collective with votes of all owners on all key decisions.
It's hitting stumbling blocks already.....

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 May 2017 09:03

I'll pledge a grand, but I won't hand it over not until it is matched considerably - otherwise I may find I was the only one and STAR/Whoever have a total of £1k in their account!

Running costs are and will be the issue, For £30m we would inherit a company with debts that need to be repaid and genreally more costs than income, plus those pesky fans demanding we use our own money to sign top players each year!

Maybe we will be better off starting AFC Reading?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 May 2017 13:16

Forbury Lion I'll pledge a grand, but I won't hand it over not until it is matched considerably - otherwise I may find I was the only one and STAR/Whoever have a total of £1k in their account!

Running costs are and will be the issue, For £30m we would inherit a company with debts that need to be repaid and genreally more costs than income, plus those pesky fans demanding we use our own money to sign top players each year!

Maybe we will be better off starting AFC Reading?

Yup, you'd basically want your 30K supporters (when we can't even get 15K paying adults in :shock: ) to commit not just the £1K initial costs, but commit to £1K each and every year, for a minimum of 10 years, on top of, not instead of, Season ticket costs, to have any hope of a sustainable model.

Frankly I think our chances of winning the PL next year aren't much lower.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 May 2017 13:36

To put the cost of owning and running a football club into perceptive - even without taking unrealistic fan spending demands into account, I can honestly say that if I won the £81m Euro Lottery on Tuesday night I would not be comfortable buying the club.

I don't think we have a big enough fan base, the potential is there but they are fickle.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 15 May 2017 14:49

A pretty fair degree of knowledge and realism on this thread so far.

One gap in our collective knowledge. We know there's no local SJM2 on the horizon but what about our equivalent of the dozen high net worth individuals who collectively helped Pompey out of their enormous hole (the financial one)? Do we have a dozen Wealthy Berks to turn to if and when the time comes?

PM me if you're far better off than Forbes and slightly more willing! :wink:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 17 May 2017 14:16

STAR Liaison A pretty fair degree of knowledge and realism on this thread so far.

One gap in our collective knowledge. We know there's no local SJM2 on the horizon but what about our equivalent of the dozen high net worth individuals who collectively helped Pompey out of their enormous hole (the financial one)? Do we have a dozen Wealthy Berks to turn to if and when the time comes?

PM me if you're far better off than Forbes and slightly more willing! :wink:

All a bit academic now thankfully (fingers crossed etc).

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1