STAR Exiles - Overview

Crabbers USA Royal

Re: STAR Exiles - Overview

by Crabbers USA Royal » 01 May 2009 19:37

seahawk10 Wondering if there are actually more Royal fans in Los Angeles that just don't post on hob nob?
Not sure about LA but there are a few that are scattered across the US. Any ideas on how to connect the scattered Royals fans in the USA? STAR USA is growing but things are sometimes quiet on the communications front...any suggestions welcome...

Gu1nn3sS

by Gu1nn3sS » 06 May 2009 19:57

I'm a Reading FC fan in Sacramento, California. Going to London for the first time this September and planning on taking the train out to Madejski for a match. Hopefully it will be a Premiership match and not a Championship match. Either way... I'm still going :)

waitingforyears

by waitingforyears » 11 May 2009 07:52

seahawk10 Wondering if there are actually more Royal fans in Los Angeles that just don't post on hob nob?

I hardly ever post on hob nob though I read daily. I'm formally of the LA area, now San Francisco.

Was just browsing the Reading shop and damn, shipping is expensive for a college student such as myself, but I suppose cheaper than flying out there personally : )

Davyc

by Davyc » 20 Aug 2010 18:02

Im hoping to set up an Irish branch of STAR anybody able to giv me some advice or help?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 24 Sep 2010 12:42

Davyc Im hoping to set up an Irish branch of STAR anybody able to giv me some advice or help?

If a guy called Gus askes to become a member just say no.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 18 Dec 2010 02:34

ghey

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 22 Dec 2010 13:05

Ders More Te Ireland Dan Dis!

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 26 Mar 2012 01:20

Was in LA fairly recently, did NOT see anybody flying the flag. And we were on the telly.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Sep 2012 15:40

Anyone in Melbourne?

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 12 Sep 2012 20:48

Midland Royals are on Facebook, so give us a like to get in touch

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 18 Feb 2015 12:02

STAR. Do you seek affiliation with the Bournemouth Royals, of which I was elected Chairman therefore I am able to speak on their behalf.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Feb 2015 09:48

The Rouge STAR. Do you seek affiliation with the Bournemouth Royals, of which I was elected Chairman therefore I am able to speak on their behalf.

Alright - send your email details to media@star-reading.org and we'll include you as an affiliate on our unexciting affiliates programme.

Do you wish to become an official STAR members exiles branch with all the privileges that brings?

leanhnam220

by leanhnam220 » 08 Aug 2015 09:47

Thanks for giving me the necessary information
Tiny Tanks Unblocked Tiny Tanks

BuryAway

by BuryAway » 28 Oct 2015 19:48

Anyone in the Dorchester / Weymouth / Bridport area ?

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 02 Nov 2015 09:44

Hi Buryers, The Rouge is your man for this, he runs the Bournemouth Royals, and will know most of the Royals in Dorset.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Feb 2024 16:16

From the STAR website:

I wonder how many of these proposed branches in 2011 ever came to pass. Perhaps this was actually the golden age of the exile club - with increasing social media it could be distant royals are organising themselves via social media and the like rather than through a central organisation.

I'm always interested/amused how organisations carve up the UK into regions - in this case I wonder what the seemingly random line dividing the capital is based on, or why Wales isn't just Wales, with Hereford Hoops looking to Cardiff for representation rather than Birmingham.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Feb 2024 16:48

Green From the STAR website:

I wonder how many of these proposed branches in 2011 ever came to pass. Perhaps this was actually the golden age of the exile club - with increasing social media it could be distant royals are organising themselves via social media and the like rather than through a central organisation.

I'm always interested/amused how organisations carve up the UK into regions - in this case I wonder what the seemingly random line dividing the capital is based on, or why Wales isn't just Wales, with Hereford Hoops looking to Cardiff for representation rather than Birmingham.

Because Hereford and Herefordshire is in England? The "border" is drawn badly it should be to the west of Herefordshire not the east.

Can anyone on STAR comment, where are the current Reading exile groups that actually exist? I presume they're sparse enough to warrant a redrawing of the border areas as I presume Reading exiles aren't quite as numerous as Liverpool and ManU "exiles".

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 Feb 2024 17:17

Green From the STAR website:

I think this should be looked at. I think the regional boundaries should be based on where STAR members are located, effectively being organic creations. I don't know how many people would be needed in a given area for a branch to be created.

As you mention, social media has made it much easier for Reading fans living away from the Reading area to get in contact with each other - so formal branches aren't going to be as necessary as they were in the past. I think the primary benefit of STAR membership for people living outside the Reading area is assistance in getting tickets for local away games when the member wouldn't have enough points. In general, we don't sell out away games north of the Midlands very often, so wouldn't be utilised very often. There's less benefit being a member when you don't live in the Reading area.

It may be worth STAR considering some sort of free affiliate scheme for those living outside the 'core' areas (Reading; Oxford; Slough and Guildford postcode areas). At the very least, it would give STAR a good idea where we might have supporters and where formal branches may make sense.

It could also be worth having informal branches within the Reading area (say for Basingstoke; Newbury; Oxford; etc.). That could allow for events to be arranged in those areas or there's enough demand for coach travel from Basingstoke (for example) for a separate coach to be put on for certain away matches.

Meatwad

by Meatwad » 19 Feb 2024 19:31

Hello all, first post here!

Been a fan since 2007 and favorite all time player is Bobby Convey(For obvious reasons haha, but thought he was immense here as well). Librarian by trade and was in the Marines for several years(Hence my avatar).

Anyway, trying times for our beloved Royals to put it mildly, but we will persevere!

Also, putting this in this thread as myself and some other American fans I have known for a long time, have started a page on Twitter (@_USARoyals) to network with Reading fans over here and perhaps gain some more as well. So if live in the USA, please give us a follow and share, and even if do not, if you can do the same to help build the page up, that will be great!

Thanks!

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 20 Feb 2024 14:44

Meatwad Hello all, first post here!

Been a fan since 2007 and favorite all time player is Bobby Convey(For obvious reasons haha, but thought he was immense here as well). Librarian by trade and was in the Marines for several years(Hence my avatar).

Anyway, trying times for our beloved Royals to put it mildly, but we will persevere!

Also, putting this in this thread as myself and some other American fans I have known for a long time, have started a page on Twitter (@_USARoyals) to network with Reading fans over here and perhaps gain some more as well. So if live in the USA, please give us a follow and share, and even if do not, if you can do the same to help build the page up, that will be great!

Thanks!

Great to see some of our American fans from that era have stuck around. Not on Twitter very much anymore, but given you a follow!