STAR Statement regarding local radio broadcast rights

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 21 Jul 2006 21:36

Well I sent my email off to 107 and dont really expect a reply.

Has anyone approached the local press to see if they are interested in the story, which taking into account the strength of feeling of the "(normally) silent majority" or Reading Fans they should be.

Could be time for a bit of "Customer" pressure to be applied,

or....

for Reading 107 announce what they are going to do with the rights. perhaps they have tapped up Joel and Tim, and gone DAB?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Jul 2006 21:56

Good point, firstdivision.

Was there any comment on this in the EP tonight?

andyhalls

by andyhalls » 21 Jul 2006 22:02

CocoPops
bb0118
Skin
72 bus Get a petition up on this issue.

Here's one:
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBCBERKS/petition.html

Signed.

ditto, the more the better!

Keep signing, the more signatures we have on it, the more the club will take note. Like I said on the previous topic, when we get to a decent total I shall send the link to Nigel Howe.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jul 2006 23:24

send it to BBC Berks and Reading 107 also

I think the embarrasment factor will ensure that we have decent coverage from the Beeb once again

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 22 Jul 2006 06:41

Jerry St Clair Good point, firstdivision.

No real comment, it was hidden away on about P5, not even in the sport section.

Alan Titchmarsh

by Alan Titchmarsh » 22 Jul 2006 07:21

The 17 Bus
Jerry St Clair Good point, firstdivision.

No real comment, it was hidden away on about P5, not even in the sport section.

There was also comment on the inside back page (p.59) where David Wright comments and a full story is promised for Monday's edition.

The item on Page 5 mentions the BBC offered in the region of 65k for the rights which was a considerable increase on the last bid and in line with what is paid for similar rights.

Seems RFC were looking for a figure somewhere arond 3 times what was paid for the previous rights which the BBC were unwilling to meet.

Be interesting to see what the EP can dig up on this for Monday, think we should make sure they know the fans aren't happy about it.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 22 Jul 2006 07:52

Oi Oi, petition signed. Lovely job

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 22 Jul 2006 08:17

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2002/2 ... commentary

The Evening Post BBC Radio Berkshire has lost the rights to broadcast Royals matches as the club prepares to play its first season in the Premiership.

Rival station Reading 107fm, owned by Royals’ chairman John Madejski, has won exclusive rights to the coverage after a £65,000 bid by the Beeb was turned down by Reading FC.

The move means listeners outside Reading 107’s range will not be able to follow Royals games on air unless they are on national station BBC Radio Five Live.

A BBC spokesman said: “The club asked for a huge increase in their rights fee, over three times what we paid last season.

“We’ve offered a substantial increase, in line with similar clubs in the league, but are not prepared to meet the club’s financial demands.”

Reading 107 managing director Jeff Lee said: “This is great news for Reading 107. Our coverage of the biggest season in Reading Football Club’s history will be second to none.”

See Monday’s Evening Post for the full story and reaction

You can comment on the story here http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/commen ... id=2002747

or email Hilary Scott here hscott@reading-epost.co.uk

let's make sure they know how we feel.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 22 Jul 2006 09:45

The irony is that acros a whole range of issues in the last 10 years, RFC has prided itself on being more professional and forward-thinking than its rivals. But as soon as it reaches the big time. it dives straight into a series of grasping, small-time-mentality decisions like this one and massively hiking kids' STs.

The team had better perform on the pitch straight from the first game, or they'll be back to gates of 10,000 in a couple of years.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 22 Jul 2006 09:50

This is a test for the EP.

Their instinct is to fawn over Mr Mad at every opportunity, but in this case there is a strength of public feeling they surely can't ignore.

I'll be very interested to see how they cover it.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Jul 2006 11:47

I look forward to the Ben Rice column on Tuesday to see his perspective.

Seriously though, it's good to see STAR backing up the views of all Reading fans.

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 22 Jul 2006 12:06

now posted on Sheff Utd forum!

http://www.sheff-utd.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3717

we helped them by drawing with leeds.... they can help us!

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 22 Jul 2006 12:27

Forbury Lion Perhaps STAR can mention this to other clubs at the next Parliament thing, At the very least it may help fans to know they can, for example, log onto a free Liverpool based radio station' site for free coverage of Liverpool games which would mean Reading home and away to Liverpool would be available to those missing out.

In return, should our situation change we can make other clubs aware of any free service available for Reading games (plus premium services which may be cheaper on a single match only option than their local alternatives).

Briliant idea actually. But is there free coverage for all the other Premiership teams?

Legend

by Legend » 22 Jul 2006 12:28

Reading 107

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 22 Jul 2006 13:59

Possible idea, get all those celebrities who rung up after the Leicester game behind this campaign.

OzBiscuit2004
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by OzBiscuit2004 » 22 Jul 2006 23:39

Skin
72 bus Get a petition up on this issue.

Here's one:
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBCBERKS/petition.html

Signed, even though it won't effect me. Interesting to see some of the comments on there :shock:

This is a travesty - worse than when Di died.

I feel sick at hearing this - I haven't been able to eat for an hour

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 23 Jul 2006 01:44

Has anyone thought of mentioning this to their MP.

As I recall one of the Reading Labour MP's (Martin Salter?) is a Royals fan, so the sense of social injustice should be right up his street.

Anyone know him or feel able to bring it up with him?

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 23 Jul 2006 09:16

firstdivision Has anyone thought of mentioning this to their MP.

As I recall one of the Reading Labour MP's (Martin Salter?) is a Royals fan, so the sense of social injustice should be right up his street.

Anyone know him or feel able to bring it up with him?

He has signed the petition:

370. Martin Salter I'm very dissapointed. The fans have been forggoton and the club will need them more than ever this season, and forever more. Don't forget where you've come from and don't forget you can't sell all the season tickets either!

DaveM

by DaveM » 23 Jul 2006 17:21

Surely this statement just emphasizes the reason the club has given an exclusive contract. Not only does Madejski pocket more money by it, but it means the 1/2million people who can no longer listen, will have to pay £35 each to do so. This makes more money to the club.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 23 Jul 2006 17:53

DaveM Surely this statement just emphasizes the reason the club has given an exclusive contract. Not only does Madejski pocket more money by it, but it means the 1/2million people who can no longer listen, will have to pay £35 each to do so. This makes more money to the club.

In the short term, maybe - only the died in the wool fans will stump up £35, and they might have done anyway. The club knows all about the existing fans and has ways to extract money from them already.

What this really means is that a "floating" fan in Basingstoke, Newbury or wherever who would have listened in and become an active fan will now just not bother, or will continue to listen to the 5Live commantary, which will more often than not be Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, etc.

For a club loooking to grow the fanbase (or, in their terminolgy, "build the brand"), this is short-termism at it's worst. It helps one of JM's companies in the short-term, at the long-term expense of another.

Quite apart from the financial aspects, what makes my blood boil the most is the issue of accessibility - already I know of some OAPs who contributed a fortune (to them) to Reading FC over the years of lifetime supporting the club. Now they're too old of frail to come and watch - even if they could afford STs. There's not a hope in hell of them ever having internet access, and public service broadcasting is their only way to follow the club.

And now - gone.