UPDATE - Radio Contract

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 25 Jul 2006 12:04

The broadcast of games puts RFC in the spotlight, fact.

RFC were wrong to try to price anyone out of it, there was no real problem with them both having rights IMHO.

At least something is happening now, and hopefully agreement can be reached soon.

BBCRB said that the price was higher than the norm for The Prem, so it must have been ruddy high.

I suggest that BBCRB takes a fan along to the commentary for games, could be an interesting idea, though someone knowledgeable..

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 25 Jul 2006 12:05

Just to give everyone a further update, there have been numerous conversations today, and STAR has committed to both Reading FC and BBC Berks that, if required, we will provide a certain sum in order to reduce the price of these free-to-air rights to the BBC.

I won't discuss specific prices and break anyone's commercial confidentiality, but we are confident that this sum, which is not an insignificant one, will hopefully bridge the gap and make a deal happen.

So we may be round with the begging bowl later - watch this space!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Jul 2006 12:34

Hoop Blah
Alan Titchmarsh One wonders why it had to be exclusive rights? Why not have both 107 and Auntie pay 50 grand each? The club gets their 100k and we get two radio stations providing friendly rivalry with their coverage - wins all round methinks.

By the sounds of things the price 107 have paid isn't for the exclusive rights. If it was then this really would be a dead debate as the BBC wouldn't be able to match the price and gain rights after 107 have agreed the deal for exclusivity.

I'm guessing, but I think they've announced it as exclusive because nobody else was willing to pay the price set by the club for radio coverage and so as a result 107 have ended up with 'exclusive' coverage.

Due to Mr Mad's presence as owner of both RFC and 107, I can think we can assume two things:

1. The "price" 107 paid is meaningless
2. The "contract" 107 signed up to is meaningless.

CocoPops

by CocoPops » 25 Jul 2006 12:43

STAR Campaigns
So we may be round with the begging bowl later - watch this space!

If BBCRB recieve equal rights, ie no delayed live broadcast, then I will glady chip in.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 25 Jul 2006 12:52

Under the circumstances I'm against the fans having to pay anything. This is not a case of contributing to a worthy cause in order to make up a small shortfall. BBCRB were held to ransom to pay way over the odds.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 25 Jul 2006 12:56

Would I be right in saying that BBC would have a scenario on their hands in that Reading FC is the only league club not covered by their local or county radio stations?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Jul 2006 12:59

Warfield Royal Under the circumstances I'm against the fans having to pay anything. This is not a case of contributing to a worthy cause in order to make up a small shortfall. BBCRB were held to ransom to pay way over the odds.

Won't see another penny from me.

I paid RFC £710 for my season tickets, and I paid £131.50 to the BBC by way of my licence fee. I really feel they ought to be able to reach agreement without going cap in hand via STAR.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Jul 2006 13:01

Huntley & Palmer Would I be right in saying that BBC would have a scenario on their hands in that Reading FC is the only league club not covered by their local or county radio stations?

There was a high up from the beeb on BBCRB this morning (well done Jon Keen BTW) who said Chelsea don't have a BBC deal. Only one he mentioned though.

Says a lot I guess,

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 25 Jul 2006 13:27

by the sounds of it to meet "figures quoted in the media" halfway a sum in the region £20k extra would have to be forked out.

will BBCRB (and any fundraising) meet this?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jul 2006 13:51

That Friday Feeling
Warfield Royal Under the circumstances I'm against the fans having to pay anything. This is not a case of contributing to a worthy cause in order to make up a small shortfall. BBCRB were held to ransom to pay way over the odds.

Won't see another penny from me.

I paid RFC £710 for my season tickets, and I paid £131.50 to the BBC by way of my licence fee. I really feel they ought to be able to reach agreement without going cap in hand via STAR.

Oh dear :?

I'm proud of all our fans who have made a stance on this issue and very grateful to STAR for being so quick off the mark on our behalf (should be worth quite a few new memberships all things being equal)

The vast majority objected because it is clearly unfair to deny less fortunate fans (most on here are probably STH's) from having decent coverage on the radio whilst the stadium remains full.

I paid a lot of money for my season ticket but I'll be more than happy to make a modest contribution, which is all that is required if everyone chips in, to ensure that radio coverage is not cut off to 500k potential fans.

Those who begrudge doing the same are just decending to the level of those who were prepared to make such a crass decision in the first place.

We've taken the moral high ground and there's no need to give it up.

Either, we shame others in to doing what they should have done in the first place or, we pay the shortfall to ensure that it happens with or without their full support.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Jul 2006 14:12

Woodcote Royal Those who begrudge doing the same are just decending to the level of those who were prepared to make such a crass decision in the first place.

Obviously I don't agree. I'm the first to put my hand in my pocket when a few million asians have been devastated by a tsunami, or when David Walliams avoids the ferry fare, or even perhaps when the local scout group need me to buy them a brick. As a licence fee payer I don't see the BBC as a charity deserving of my support. I fully support a publicly funded BBC and have no objection to paying the licence fee.

Woodcote Royal We've taken the moral high ground and there's no need for us to give it up.

Absolutely. I'm not.

Woodcote Royal We shame others in to doing what they should have done in the first place

I feel RFC ought to do the decent thing and accept the 'going rate' for their product. Thirty odd grand is not a large percentage of annual turnover for JM to waive. He'll probably get a lot of that back in merchandise sales from a happy and interested fanbase.

Having said that, £20,000 is not a large sum of money to the BBC either.

They can sort this out themselves.
Last edited by TFF on 25 Jul 2006 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Jul 2006 14:16

Exactly Woodcote, we've taken this stance against the club and any 'chipping in' would be for the benefit of us, the fans. This doesn't mean any money being handed over to the club isn't done so begrudgingly, but it shows that us, the fans, are not prepared to sit back and accept what the club are imposing on us.

We care about the long term future of the club, and cutting off future fans whilst alienating current non season-ticket holders by reducing the catchment area is not something we'll allow if we can help it.

We care about the relationship that Radio Berks have built up over the years with the club, and we are not prepared to allow this to take a massive dent for the sake of a moment of greed.

I'm very impressed with how STAR have handled this so far, and as I am not a member, I shall now be signing up as soon as I can find a form.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jul 2006 14:23

That Friday Feeling
Woodcote Royal Those who begrudge doing the same are just decending to the level of those who were prepared to make such a crass decision in the first place.

Obviously I don't agree. I'm the first to put my hand in my pocket when a few million asians have been devastated by a tsunami, or when David Walliams avoids the ferry fare, or even perhaps when the local scout group need me to buy them a brick. As a licence fee payer I don't see the BBC as a charity deserving of my support. I fully support a publicly funded BBC and have no objection to paying the licence fee.

Woodcote Royal We've taken the moral high ground and there's no need for us to give it up.

Absolutely. I'm not.

Woodcote Royal We shame others in to doing what they should have done in the first place

I feel RFC ought to do the decent thing and accept the 'going rate' for their product. Thirty odd grand is not a large percentage of annual turnover for JM to waive. He'll probably get a lot of that back in merchandise sales from a happy and interested fanbase.

Having said that, £20,000 is not a large sum of money to the BBC either.

They can sort this out themselves.

Well, you got there in the end..................20k is peanuts to our current fan base.

Actually, I'm not sure that 100k is such a high price to pay for what's on offer, especially given what we'll all be paying to watch it.

Simply, if you're not prepared to pay this modest contribution you are giving up the moral high ground whilst undermining what most of us are trying to achieve...............ensuring that the coverage of our football team reaches as wide an audience as possible.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 25 Jul 2006 14:25, edited 2 times in total.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Jul 2006 14:23

Question for STAR.

Should you be required to fund-raise to maintain BBCRB coverage will you undertake to do so for our second season in the Premiership?

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Jul 2006 14:24

That Friday Feeling I feel RFC ought to do the decent thing and accept the 'going rate' for their product.

I completely agree, but it's clear they are not going to. I can't see them coming down any more, after 'meeting BBCRB half way'.

That Friday Feeling Having said that, £20,000 is not a large sum of money to the BBC either

The impression that I get about the way things are run there is that their budgets are strictly centrally controlled and it's very difficult to get an increase, I'm sure the guys at BBCRB agree with you, but just cannot get their mits on it (at present).

The club is shafting one of our greatest media friends and it's not only important that we rally round to support them, but also do what we can to make sure they can come to the party, and provide their service to everyone that wants it. At this stage it is only speculation, as a deal may yet be thrashed out, but I for one, am more than willing to put my hand in my pocket (in these exceptional circumstances) should the need arise.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Jul 2006 14:30

Gav At this stage it is only speculation, as a deal may yet be thrashed out, but I for one, am more than willing to put my hand in my pocket (in these exceptional circumstances) should the need arise.

See my question to STAR above :wink:

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 25 Jul 2006 14:36

That Friday Feeling Question for STAR.

Should you be required to fund-raise to maintain BBCRB coverage will you undertake to do so for our second season in the Premiership?

surely there are too many variables to answer that question now.

BBCRB will know well in advance for next season the ball park figure to get coverage and can budget accordinly.Also by the massive response this time round BBCRB should not have too much of a problem receiving money for their budget?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Jul 2006 14:39

That Friday Feeling I feel RFC ought to do the decent thing and accept the 'going rate' for their product.

But what is the going rate for their product? You can't honestly believe that the going rate is defined in this instance as the amount that the BBC are prepared to pay? The BBC have offered what they believe to be the going rate and Reading Football Club have for what they believe the going rate to be. There is no definitive answer.

Blue Heart

by Blue Heart » 25 Jul 2006 14:53

I'm very impressed with how STAR have handled this so far, and as I am not a member, I shall now be signing up as soon as I can find a form.[/quote]

http://www.star-reading.org :D

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Jul 2006 15:01

Blue Heart I'm very impressed with how STAR have handled this so far, and as I am not a member, I shall now be signing up as soon as I can find a form.

http://www.star-reading.org :D

Cheers