UPDATE - Radio Contract

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 27 Jul 2006 09:18

starliaison
retired aggro
Why? A success for the fans yes, for STAR no. Their involvement was no greater than yours, or many other people who acted on impulse and not on instruction. I'm pretty sure the same result would have come out if STAR was non existant. The power behind the posts on Team Sections sums up the feeling that the decision to give the rights to 107 had. The EP got on the case (nothing to do with STAR) and the petition was set up (nothing to do with STAR) and the emails were sent (nothing to do with STAR)

You are entitled to you opinion but I would be interested if it is based on fact but rather on what you want to believe.

However the result is the important thing not who did what, or why, or even under whose instruction (I am interested whose instruction you are implying as it cannot be RFC which would be the normal allegation!).

It will be a victory for common sense and all those people who cannot, for whatever reason, attend games or receive 107fm.

Starliaison, as you are surely aware, Mr. Aggro is the biggest fisherman on these boards and is not even a Reading fan. Rest assured that the vast majority of STAR members have no doubt whatsoever that your continued endeavour is worthwhile. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your hard work and I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing to do so.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Jul 2006 09:29

starliaison However the result is the important thing not who did what, or why, or even under whose instruction ...

...It will be a victory for common sense and all those people who cannot, for whatever reason, attend games or receive 107fm.

So what is the result starliason?

Gregster

by Gregster » 27 Jul 2006 09:38

Loving the impact of what a topic on HNA can snowball to. Mr Mad having to conduct these negotiations from his holiday in Greece is surely something he would rather not do unless he was concerned about the reaction this decision has had on the fanbase.

Oh ok, with my cynical head on, RFCs gonna make another £Xk but I'm sure 107 will argue that their initial payment was for exclusive rights and therefore withhold a small amount? Either way, i'm happy the club has more money going in and that BBCRB may be back as the premier (get it?) RFC station.

Well done STAR for getting involved and officially representing the fans opinions (with the lines of communication already in place between STAR and RFC, this will always help).

Please PM me to let me know how I donate to the cause.

Keeper

by Keeper » 27 Jul 2006 10:00

I think a point has been missed somewhere, Reading 107 did not pay for exclusive rights, they payed the valuation for coverage and that same valuation was offered to BBCRB and BBCRB did not meet it, so therefore Reading 107 got exclusive rights by elimination.

However does this mean that if BBCRB and RFC come to an aggreement at a lower figure will Readsing 107 get a rebate?

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 27 Jul 2006 10:05

Keeper However does this mean that if BBCRB and RFC come to an aggreement at a lower figure will Readsing 107 get a rebate?

Yea. Mr Mad will move £20k from his left pocket and put it in his right pocket.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 27 Jul 2006 10:10

Where has the 20k figure come from then?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Jul 2006 13:53

willz_royal Where has the 20k figure come from then?

DOH!

Read carefully what premiership_bound wrote

or is it me who deserves a WHOOOSH?!

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 27 Jul 2006 21:28

I'm not usually a great fan of STAR - a bit to ready to roll over in front of the club most of the time, I've felt - but if this comes off, fair dues, they've done a great job, along with HNA, of course.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 27 Jul 2006 23:19

Any news?

It's a week since all this blew up and now it'd all gone quiet.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 27 Jul 2006 23:27

Warfield Royal Any news?

It's a week since all this blew up and now it'd all gone quiet.

Negotiations are still in progress, but as a couple of the key players are out of the country then there will be a few days before anything is resolved.

All sides are definitely talking, though, which can only be good news.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Aug 2006 08:02

Royals confirm new commentary deal with BBC Berkshire

7am, Tuesday 1st August 2006

Reading Football Club and BBC Radio Berkshire announced today, 1st August, a new broadcasting and promotional deal that will see commentary on the club's matches being broadcast next season on the BBC station.

The future of match coverage was the subject of speculation following the announcement that the two parties were initially unable to agree terms.

However, after more talks between the Club and the BBC both parties were able to agree a partnership that will see BBC Radio Berkshire continue its popular service of commentaries, news and other programming following the Royals' progress.

The station's popular commentary team of Joel Hufford and Tim Dellor will be joined by ex-Reading player Mick Gooding.

In addition, there will be a range of other support programming across radio, TV and http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire to follow Reading's historic first season in the Premiership.

Lizz Loxam, Managing Editor of BBC Radio Berkshire, says: "We're delighted. It's great news that we'll continue to broadcast all the Royals games next season. We wish the Royals every success in the Premiership and are looking forward very much to being there with them every step of the way."

Reading FC chairman John Madejski commented, "I am very pleased that we have finally been able to reach an agreement that will allow BBC Radio Berkshire to continue providing live commentary next season.

"They have been strong supporters of the Club for a number of years and we look forward to continuing our relationship."

Live commentary on every game will also appear on Reading 107.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 14,00.html

STAR, do we take it the two sides came to an agreement without financial input from the fans?

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 01 Aug 2006 08:24

That Friday Feeling STAR, do we take it the two sides came to an agreement without financial input from the fans?

Yes, we put in an offer to help bridge the gap if required, but this wasn't needed in the end.

For information, this was based purely on the number of people who said to us words to the effect of "if John Madejski wants everyone to give him a pound let's do that." We're set up to organise collections and so on, and by our calculations (if we did the right kind of publicity!) we could have raised a significant sum, but fortunately for all we didn't need to.

Anyway, it's great news and we're obviously delighted, so we'd like to thank all parties involved for coming back to the table and working out a deal that is a win-win - supporters outside the local Reading area will have match commentary again, and the Reading FC "product" will reach over half a million extra potential supporters, which can only be good for long-term growth of the club. Plus they get some more money, of course....

PS - contrary to reports in some of the press, I am not "STAR Chairman" - Chris Witcher is.