Parking

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Sep 2006 16:51

Platypuss It's on here:

http://www.star-reading.org/archive.pl

I'd venture to suggest that more people would take up the STAR parking offer if it were give a higher profile on the webpage.
A sticky thread on this board would attract more attention.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 06 Oct 2006 11:42

Why can't STAR seem to get rid of the parking permits at Christ the King Primary School?

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 06 Oct 2006 14:30

M4 Junction 11 Why can't STAR seem to get rid of the parking permits at Christ the King Primary School?

Possibly because it's just a little bit too far from the stadium for some people.

On the advert on the OS it says "a few minutes walk", but this is disingenuous. I use the STAR car park and it suits me just fine, as it is the right side of Reading for me, but it actually takes about 30 minutes from my seat in the East stand to my car. But then I can just start the engine and drive home, presumably while some people are still stuck in the official car parks.

Also I can now judge my arrival time with ease, no more worrying that there will be a jam leading up to the HP car park.

In fact come to think of it, it is a Good Thing that the car park is that little bit further out, because you can avoid all the traffic hot-spots.

However there are lots of on-street parking places surrounding the STAR car park, and these are free.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 06 Oct 2006 16:11

Billy The Fish
M4 Junction 11 Why can't STAR seem to get rid of the parking permits at Christ the King Primary School?

Possibly because it's just a little bit too far from the stadium for some people.

On the advert on the OS it says "a few minutes walk", but this is disingenuous. I use the STAR car park and it suits me just fine, as it is the right side of Reading for me, but it actually takes about 30 minutes from my seat in the East stand to my car. But then I can just start the engine and drive home, presumably while some people are still stuck in the official car parks.

Also I can now judge my arrival time with ease, no more worrying that there will be a jam leading up to the HP car park.

In fact come to think of it, it is a Good Thing that the car park is that little bit further out, because you can avoid all the traffic hot-spots.

However there are lots of on-street parking places surrounding the STAR car park, and these are free.

However I notice that the Swan (south of J 11) is now charging £7 per game or £5 if you spend some money with them and this is a longer walk as it is over a mile and a half. Maybe we should sell beer at the same time then people wouldn't notice the walk :D I suspect this is because the council has now added double yellow lines all around Three Mile Cross where there used to be a lot of onstreet parking.

The other bonus for the STAR car park is that it is more secure as the gates are locked during the game so getting around the usual worry of being a sitting duck for those who think it fair game to break into cars near a football ground.