STAR Reaction to Saturday's Stewarding Inadequacies

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 19 Oct 2006 16:36

scum :evil:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Oct 2006 20:59

starliaison Is there a demand for another stewards forum?

No.

I went along to one of these some time back and they were oh so very different in their conduct and attitude on that ocassion than they are on matchdays when they are inconsistent, fussy and unhelpful. The attitude towards paying spectators is generally atrocious; last season I had some buffoon standing directly in my line of vision in a gangway trying unsuccessfully to apprehend someone for some heinous 'crime' or other until I suggested that he move on and get out of my way.

I have become used to their idiosyncracies and long since realised that Madejski Stadium stewards are only marginally less inept than the imbeciles who 'serve' food and drink in the concourses.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 20 Oct 2006 23:04

starliaison
Compo's Hat So what was discussed at the meeting?

That several Reading supporters will be receiving banning orders and will be shown the CCTV evidence that the order is based on and asked why they behaved like that. The orders will be appealable but will be for the rest of the season if enforced.

Several people may be hoping they don't get a letter in the post in the next couple of weeks or so then.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 21 Oct 2006 09:34

floyd__streete
starliaison Is there a demand for another stewards forum?

No.

I went along to one of these some time back and they were oh so very different in their conduct and attitude on that ocassion than they are on matchdays when they are inconsistent, fussy and unhelpful. The attitude towards paying spectators is generally atrocious; last season I had some buffoon standing directly in my line of vision in a gangway trying unsuccessfully to apprehend someone for some heinous 'crime' or other until I suggested that he move on and get out of my way.

I understand, but unless we meet with them and explain that how do we get the message across that they appear inconsistent? I do my best but my experience, as a season ticket holder, has to be limited to what happens around me.

If we were to have a forum where more than a handful of people come along we might get our message across more effectively. As on another thread Andy has said that the apathy of football fans can be astounding, we could have so much more power if only people were willing to do more than moan on messageboards.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 21 Oct 2006 09:46

Maybe it is time that STAR took less notice of what is said on here, many that seem the first to complain are often the ones that like to talk about standing all game, and is strange how it so often is the sae corner that it all happens in, most only got seats there to taunt the away fans.

Had all the fans moved to the North East then this could be averted slightly.

Perhaps RFC might look into that and make the South East a family area after the ground is extended.

earley_royals

by earley_royals » 21 Oct 2006 09:51

Why?

In the three or four years that I have sat in Y25 that is the first real time anything like that has happened. Y25 also creates the atmosphere in the ground due to it's banter with the away fans.

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 21 Oct 2006 10:46

earley_royals
starliaison

That several Reading supporters will be receiving banning orders and will be shown the CCTV evidence that the order is based on and asked why they behaved like that. The orders will be appealable but will be for the rest of the season if enforced.

Several people may be hoping they don't get a letter in the post in the next couple of weeks or so then.
What did they do?

earley_royals

by earley_royals » 21 Oct 2006 10:48

The_Cat
earley_royals
starliaison

What did they do?

Read the thread. :roll:

It's about what happened after the game on Saturday.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Oct 2006 10:50

earley_royals Why?

In the three or four years that I have sat in Y25 that is the first real time anything like that has happened. Y25 also creates the atmosphere in the ground due to it's banter with the away fans.

The East Stand, especially Y25, is the heart and soul of the home support!

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 21 Oct 2006 11:02

earley_royals
The_Cat
earley_royals
starliaison

What did they do?

Read the thread. :roll:

It's about what happened after the game on Saturday.
I know but what are they getting banned for?

DaveM

by DaveM » 21 Oct 2006 13:31

I think the problem is theres clearly 2 different viewpoints here, the Y25 view and the rest of the ground view.

The Y25 lot want their section of the ground to be stewardless, they want to do as they do, whether that's taking photos, standing or abusing the away fans. The club clearly disagree with this and won't let it happen, so they police that area alot more then other areas of the ground which causes conflicts. To resolve that you will need to get Y25 fans talking to the stewards/club, as I think they have different viewpoints and issues to the rest of the ground.

Everyone elses point was the stewards let the away fans onto the pitch, and didn't make much effort at all to stop them, and just let them back into the crowd afterwards.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 22 Oct 2006 11:20

DaveM I think the problem is theres clearly 2 different viewpoints here, the Y25 view and the rest of the ground view.

Nope, we get grief in Y23 aswell.

IIRC a certain nobber was threatened with ejection once for throwing ticker tape in the air when the teams came out.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Oct 2006 11:38

Jerry St Clair
DaveM I think the problem is theres clearly 2 different viewpoints here, the Y25 view and the rest of the ground view.

IIRC a certain nobber was threatened with ejection once for throwing ticker tape in the air when the teams came out.
Very true. And if I see anyone at the top of Y23 gesticulating to the away fans again, I shall ask for him to be removed. :wink:

amdocsroyal

by amdocsroyal » 24 Oct 2006 23:56

Royal Lady
Jerry St Clair

Very true. And if I see anyone at the top of Y23 gesticulating to the away fans again, I shall ask for him to be removed. :wink:

A gesticular ejection could prove troublesome I agree.
Particularly if the tape is of a 'test ticker-lar type' :roll:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 25 Oct 2006 06:41

are you the new Frimmers?

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 25 Oct 2006 08:54

its happens everywhere....happened in b18 when i used to sit there.

end of the day, the team are nothing without our support...our support needs to be vocal.

stewards and old bill are preventing this....sort it out!!

reading98

by reading98 » 25 Oct 2006 11:28

starliaison

That several Reading supporters will be receiving banning orders and will be shown the CCTV evidence that the order is based on and asked why they behaved like that. The orders will be appealable but will be for the rest of the season if enforced. Do not forget that these were used when we did not have a full stadium, so it is not a matter of just being able to resell the seat!

The message we received which may or may not go down well is that RFC want Reading fans to follow the example of the club this week and take the moral high ground. The want us all to show that we do not respond in kind to away followers who try to elict a response, and they certainly do not want supporters who are willing to start any fracas.

As far as the Chelsea supporters who got out of their area, although they should have been treated more harshly, the fact that it was after the game was ended meant that the stewards were attempting to calm them, as per the training that I have personally witnessed even if it is not always in evidence in the home stands, rather than have any further escalation.

I was one of these fans who got a banning order and took it with grace as I know I got wound up and should not of got involved in the trouble after the game but the way RFC dealt with it allowing me to get right up to the gate on sunday to be told in front of my parents and my girlfriend I would not be allowed into the game was a joke could of sent me a letter in the post. Now I have phoned the club everyday waiting to find out when my appeal date is I have already been told I won't be seeing a game at home again this season. All for be wound up by the poor stewarding not stopping chelsea fans on the pitch.

Silly boy

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 25 Oct 2006 11:42

reading98
starliaison

That several Reading supporters will be receiving banning orders and will be shown the CCTV evidence that the order is based on and asked why they behaved like that. The orders will be appealable but will be for the rest of the season if enforced. Do not forget that these were used when we did not have a full stadium, so it is not a matter of just being able to resell the seat!

The message we received which may or may not go down well is that RFC want Reading fans to follow the example of the club this week and take the moral high ground. The want us all to show that we do not respond in kind to away followers who try to elict a response, and they certainly do not want supporters who are willing to start any fracas.

As far as the Chelsea supporters who got out of their area, although they should have been treated more harshly, the fact that it was after the game was ended meant that the stewards were attempting to calm them, as per the training that I have personally witnessed even if it is not always in evidence in the home stands, rather than have any further escalation.

I was one of these fans who got a banning order and took it with grace as I know I got wound up and should not of got involved in the trouble after the game but the way RFC dealt with it allowing me to get right up to the gate on sunday to be told in front of my parents and my girlfriend I would not be allowed into the game was a joke could of sent me a letter in the post. Now I have phoned the club everyday waiting to find out when my appeal date is I have already been told I won't be seeing a game at home again this season. All for be wound up by the poor stewarding not stopping chelsea fans on the pitch.

Silly boy
What did you actually do?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 25 Oct 2006 12:00

The stewards are not football fans. They have no idea what it means to support a team and show passion. They do not care whether your team is 1-0 down and need spuring on to try and find that all important goal. They do not care that the last ditch corner in the last few minutes of a game could rescue a point. They do not care that the referee has given every decision against your team and you want to let him know what you think about that. They do not care what the other teams players are being allowed to get away with. They do not care what the other teams fans are getting away with.

Who gave these @rseholes, that can be randomly shipped in on any given game to steward us, the right and power to ban people when they feel like it? They don't care about the team and they don't care why people might want to stand and be vocal. They couldn't give a toss whether they are right or wrong in the first place, they have no comeback on their decisions, here one game, gone the next.

And can someone clarify wtf the old bill and stewards do with all the footage they record of people standing and making hand gestures, and god forbid, swearing, apart from stroking over it? Are we meant to be scared into believing this is where all the banning orders will come from?
If this is the price of being a Premiership supporter its toss.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Oct 2006 12:38

Sharpy its happens everywhere....happened in b18 when i used to sit there.

end of the day, the team are nothing without our support...our support needs to be vocal.

stewards and old bill are preventing this....sort it out!!

So you are incapable of supporting our club without breaking RFC's rules?