Free Coaches?

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hyundai Coupe

Free Coaches?

by Hyundai Coupe » 10 Nov 2006 19:10

Villa put on free coaches for their supporters at midweeks game against Chelsea and other clubs like Carlton have done the same in the past. Are there any plans for Reading to follow suit?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2006 19:25

Every time this has been suggested in the past JM has pointed out that it would mean people getting something for nothing, whislt is against his personal principles.

Randy Learner at Villa obviously has different priciples!

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 11 Nov 2006 14:55

Dirk Gently Every time this has been suggested in the past JM has pointed out that it would mean people getting something for nothing, whislt is against his personal principles.

But they're not getting something for nothing.

They have given up their time - often the equivalent of a days work - to support Reading. They have sacrificed time with families, and those that are self-employed certainly have lost potential income. Others may have had to use up valuable holiday days.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Nov 2006 15:00

ShrewsandRoyals
Dirk Gently Every time this has been suggested in the past JM has pointed out that it would mean people getting something for nothing, whislt is against his personal principles.

They have given up their time - often the equivalent of a days work - to support Reading. They have sacrificed time with families, and those that are self-employed certainly have lost potential income. Others may have had to use up valuable holiday days.

I know that, you know that, but in JM's mind anything that doesn't figure on a balance sheet doesn't have any value.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 11 Nov 2006 15:48

ShrewsandRoyals

What a load of rubbish.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Free Coaches?

by Forbury Lion » 11 Nov 2006 16:20

Hyundai Coupe Villa put on free coaches for their supporters at midweeks game against Chelsea and other clubs like Carlton have done the same in the past. Are there any plans for Reading to follow suit?
Villa put on free coaches because their chairman paid for them. I don't see our chairman doing the same, but if someone else offered to pay for free coaches I'm sure the offer would be well received..

Whistle

by Whistle » 13 Nov 2006 15:45

If we couldn't get the club to provide one free coach for a lunch-time SKY KO away at Sunderland on the grounds it might discriminate against those travelling by car .... what hope.

Still, at least we know where we stand. STAR and the rest of us shouldn't waste our breath on this one again.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 13 Nov 2006 16:24

If you put it to the club/STAR that they could give free coaches to STAR members to a particular game, that would mean it would attract people who thought of driving to go by coach. If there not members they would have to join STAR which means 10 quid for STAR.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Nov 2006 16:30

Car users are not discriminated against as they are allowed to go by coach if they wish.

If they choose to go by car at additional expense then that's their personal choice.

As long as support is strong home and away there's little benefit to the club of offering travel subsidies.

Perhaps if it was a far away match that was rained off they may decide to subsidise the rearranged trip. In fact I will PM star about this, maybe they can add something like 10p to each coach ticket and use that to credit back the coach tickets of those who miss out. Maybe refund 50% if the game is rained off halfway though like Leicester at home a few years ago.

I can't imagine us having more than one away game every three seasons cancelled last minute after the coaches have left or abandoned midway though.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2006 16:34

I doubt there will be any abandoned matches in the Premiership. The owner of this thread has himself stated he won £5k on the lottery last week, perhaps the Chelsea supporting moneybags would like to put his money where his mouth is. :roll:

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 13 Nov 2006 17:06

Forbury Lion Car users are not discriminated against as they are allowed to go by coach if they wish.

If they choose to go by car at additional expense then that's their personal choice.

As long as support is strong home and away there's little benefit to the club of offering travel subsidies.

Perhaps if it was a far away match that was rained off they may decide to subsidise the rearranged trip. In fact I will PM star about this, maybe they can add something like 10p to each coach ticket and use that to credit back the coach tickets of those who miss out. Maybe refund 50% if the game is rained off halfway though like Leicester at home a few years ago.

I can't imagine us having more than one away game every three seasons cancelled last minute after the coaches have left or abandoned midway though.

STAR has always carried late cancellation of match insurance, it is not cheap but it means that if a game is called off within eight hours of kick off we can run coaches again at no further expense to our members. We have not had to use it in the recent past but I do recall one year we used it three times, so it is worth every penny.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Nov 2006 17:58

That's good to hear, Maybe STAR should publicise these things a bit more as selling points.

What happens if the game is called off 8 minutes before kick off?

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 13 Nov 2006 18:05

STAR TRAVEL STAR has always carried late cancellation of match insurance, it is not cheap but it means that if a game is called off within eight hours of kick off we can run coaches again at no further expense to our members. We have not had to use it in the recent past but I do recall one year we used it three times, so it is worth every penny.

Twice for the same game, away at "sunny" Bournemouth. The second time we got all the way to the roundabout on the A33 by Wellington Country Park before turning back.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 13 Nov 2006 18:27

Forbury Lion That's good to hear, Maybe STAR should publicise these things a bit more as selling points.

I asume that 8 minutes before kick off is within the "within eight hours of kick" off rule.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Nov 2006 19:18

Forbury Lion That's good to hear, Maybe STAR should publicise these things a bit more as selling points.

Not like you buy a seat though is it, I am sure I have read that the cancelled games get free travel for those that booked the original.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 17 Nov 2006 09:01

MK Dons paid for coaches to Mansfield this season aswell

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1