Coverage - Tuesday 1 January 2008

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Coverage - Tuesday 1 January 2008

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2008 18:30

Well I suppose all that can be said is that it can only get better as the year runs on - it surely can't be any worse.

What the hell are you guys playing at, finishing coverage early in favour of some dreadful sports review of the year?!!

There was so much to discuss about the Portsmouth game today but you couldn't even be bothered to hang around for any interviews with players and/or management.

If I want to hear old commentary on horse racing (the only connection to local sport being that horses from all over the place turn up at Ascot to race) I'll listen to another station thanks.

Pull that stunt again and I'll have to put up with 107FM in future.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 01 Jan 2008 19:10

And who thinks Arsenal beat us in the 1927 FA Cup semi??

Or that fans need to pay if others use their ST if they cannot or choose not to attend.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coverage - Tuesday 1 January 2008

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2008 20:07

RoyalBlue Well I suppose all that can be said is that it can only get better as the year runs on - it surely can't be any worse.

What the hell are you guys playing at, finishing coverage early in favour of some dreadful sports review of the year?!!

There was so much to discuss about the Portsmouth game today but you couldn't even be bothered to hang around for any interviews with players and/or management.

If I want to hear old commentary on horse racing (the only connection to local sport being that horses from all over the place turn up at Ascot to race) I'll listen to another station thanks.

Pull that stunt again and I'll have to put up with 107FM in future.
yes it was abruptly truncated today ........I tolerated some of that retro in the hope of some extended feedback from the Madstad

what did I get?

Roger bleedin' Day :evil:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 01 Jan 2008 21:46

I turned it off as soon as the stupid review started. Barmy scheduling.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2008 22:15

barmy and playing into 10Never's hands

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Jan 2008 06:29

Quite agree and what got me most was it was a b****y REPEAT from Saturday's 'coverage' when we lost a half hour before and after the Spurs game.

If you guys were going to do this, why not use Tim's 6 o'clock slot on Friday rather than cutting into the otherwise excellent match coverage you provide.

Please don't do it again in this format.
Last edited by Barry the bird boggler on 02 Jan 2008 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jan 2008 07:12

Can you imagine the amount of mongs and eejits texting in after that?

Mong from Thatcham, Mong from Earley...

Best thing they did was to finish the coverage early.

And the threat about changing Radio stations?
They'll live.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Jan 2008 19:41

We had to endure the one sided clap trap from BBC Southern Counties or whatever it is that was covering the game, as we were in the Isle of Wight. We turned off after 10 mins - it was pitiful. It was far easier on the ear and eye watching Gillette Soccer Saturday.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 02 Jan 2008 19:44

and now they play shite music in between features...have a word!!! what happend to oldskool radio berks from championship games when 1pm-6pm was ALL RFC

BBC Radio Berkshire

by BBC Radio Berkshire » 03 Jan 2008 13:01

First off, we appreciate your feedback so apologies if your enjoyment of the Pompey game was spoiled.

There are one or two points I would like to make though...

1. The Sports Review of the Year is a popular annual programme, and is enjoyed by people who may not tune in for every Reading game or the Friday night show. It also caters for other sports that don't often get a look-in.

2. Many of you are doing other things over the Christmas and New Year period and may not stay tuned to the football coverage beyond the final whistle, or dip in and out of it. We will look at the scheduling.

3. On the specific subject of horse racing, the sport dominates life, and the landscape, in large parts of West Berkshire so a look back on the local racing highlights of the year is totally justified. It is more than just Royal Ascot. Many of you will go racing at Newbury, Windsor or Ascot during the year.

4. On a typical Saturday, Reading FC still dominates our sports show from 2pm till 5.45pm, but we do have a duty to talk about and reflect upon other sports in between 1pm and 2pm, and 5.45pm and 6pm. We very rarely play music during the Reading FC portion, if at all.

5. This is obviously a Reading FC forum so understandably you want wall-to-wall Reading coverage, but if you asked our audience, many of them want a wider variety of sports on the air. Safe to say, 2pm till 5.45pm will always be protected as a 95% Reading FC slot.

Hope this helps. Normal service will resume this Saturday with the FA Cup match.

Andy

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jan 2008 13:05

Due to the unique way the BBC is funded they have to provide a mixed service that caters for the interests of all local licence fee payers.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Jan 2008 15:27

Fair reply Andy, what gets me is tuning in at 2pm and getting a bit about RFC and then other stuff too, I would rather it was condensed, start the match build up at 2-30pm, put all the other bumf from 2, i can then tune in to listen to what I am interested in, and the reast get their fix and can miss the footy stuff.

At the end of the game why not have the phone in from 5-30 to 6, use 5 to 5-30 for a local round up of all sports, we know where we are then.

Cheers, The 17 Bus, txting in and being ignored as usual.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Jan 2008 16:05

BBC Radio Berkshire There are one or two points I would like to make though...

Only one or two? Can you count? :wink:

BBC Radio Berkshire

by BBC Radio Berkshire » 03 Jan 2008 16:30

You've got me bang to rights Wycombe Royal. Hands up, it's a fair cop!

As far as your points go 17 Bus, the problem with doing all the other sports between 5 and 5.30 is that that in itself would annoy many Reading fans wanting footy analysis straight away after the final whistle.

So it's just a case of balancing what everyone wants and pleasing the majority.

All concerned have to accept that Reading stuff is our absolute priority but we must have a smattering of rugby, racing etc between 5pm and 6pm too.

If you listened to a bigger BBC Local Radio station, you'd have to 'put up with' sports shows that feature several different teams, let alone sports.

Enjoy the fact we can concentrate on the Royals.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Jan 2008 07:11

Thanks for your feedback Andy.

I note that on Saturday you tend to start sports coverage at 1pm (albeit with PMQ's) and go through until 6pm.

This being the case do you have an option to not go on air with sports until 2pm but extend the coverage until, say, 6.30pm or is 6pm a time beyond which you must not pass except in special circumstances?

That way you could, say, return to the studio at 6pm, or a little thereafter, and complete a thorough round up of the sport news both locally and nationally and allow a small amount of review for non-league clubs and for other sports which they don't currently get in any real depth. It would also allow the chap or chapette back in the studio doing the texts an opportunity to show their worth as the next Tim....

This would leave the 5 to 6 slot free for interviews, analysis, calls and texts etc.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 04 Jan 2008 10:14

BBC Radio Berkshire First off, we appreciate your feedback so apologies if your enjoyment of the Pompey game was spoiled.

There are one or two points I would like to make though...

1. The Sports Review of the Year is a popular annual programme, and is enjoyed by people who may not tune in for every Reading game or the Friday night show. It also caters for other sports that don't often get a look-in.

2. Many of you are doing other things over the Christmas and New Year period and may not stay tuned to the football coverage beyond the final whistle, or dip in and out of it. We will look at the scheduling.

3. On the specific subject of horse racing, the sport dominates life, and the landscape, in large parts of West Berkshire so a look back on the local racing highlights of the year is totally justified. It is more than just Royal Ascot. Many of you will go racing at Newbury, Windsor or Ascot during the year.

4. On a typical Saturday, Reading FC still dominates our sports show from 2pm till 5.45pm, but we do have a duty to talk about and reflect upon other sports in between 1pm and 2pm, and 5.45pm and 6pm. We very rarely play music during the Reading FC portion, if at all.

5. This is obviously a Reading FC forum so understandably you want wall-to-wall Reading coverage, but if you asked our audience, many of them want a wider variety of sports on the air. Safe to say, 2pm till 5.45pm will always be protected as a 95% Reading FC slot.

Hope this helps. Normal service will resume this Saturday with the FA Cup match.

Andy

Horce racing is fixed and NOT a sport, bit like the old wrestling.

BBC Radio Berkshire

by BBC Radio Berkshire » 04 Jan 2008 10:33

Thanks Barry,

I'm sure the chap reading the texts would appreciate more airtime :D

It gets complicated because 6pm is the time we should join our shared programming across the South region (Solent, Kent, SCR, Oxford).

If we stayed on-air until 6.30pm, people in Berkshire would miss the first half hour of that show. That would be fine for the football fans but not so fine for the thousands of Dave Cash listeners.

Essentially, 1-2 is sporting chat with music and the occasional visit to rugby, horseracing and non-league football. 2-5.45 is virtually all Reading FC and other football with callers/texters and no music, and 5.45-6 is rugby and non-league football, plus a reflection on Reading's result.

I think the balance is usually right, but obviously on New Year's Day was slightly different and not to everyone's tastes.

You can't please all the people all the time!

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 04 Jan 2008 10:37

Stop waffling and tell us why you haven't booked anyone yet for this evening.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Jan 2008 10:40

I assume there is no show as the 1st team are not playing tomorrow.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Jan 2008 17:47

There is a show and SIMON COX is guesting apparently.