RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

WHY?

by RoyalBlue » 12 Apr 2008 17:58

No post match coverage on-line today?

Your performance today is as bad as Coppell and the team! :twisted:

Caught some of it on the radio before signal finally gave up and I would also like to know why TD bottled out of asking Coppell why Kitson left the dressing room early after the game. Was it on the RFC Press Officer's list of banned questions?

BBC investigative journalism hits a new low!!

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

Re: WHY?

by Skin » 13 Apr 2008 19:00

Speaking of online coverage, up until yesterday I was able to listen to the live match commentary in Cheltenham.

I knew it was too good to be true and it had to be a mistake that it was being broadcast on internet.

So what happened? Were the previous weeks someones fault for not flicking a switch at 3pm to turn off the online feed?

Did it really do any harm?, it would be our secret if someone forgot again...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Apr 2008 12:47

RoyalBlue No post match coverage on-line today?
I understand the show was pulled after the commentators turned the air blue in disgust at the performances on display.

I would also like to know why TD bottled out of asking Coppell why Kitson left the dressing room early after the game.
Had to get to the bookies quick to pick up his winnings on a Reading 0-2 Fulham wager.

Was it on the RFC Press Officer's list of banned questions?
Also, Is the blue or red bounty bar question banned as I've yet to hear it asked?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Apr 2008 13:11

Looks like the BBCRB team are about as good as Coppell at coming up with explanations for their abysmal performance on Saturday!!

Call himself a professional broadcaster? He's a lightweight more suited to Hospital Radio* and from now on I'm going to boo every time that Dellor bloke picks up the mic!

I don't care that Tony Blackburn's far worse - Dellor's my boo boy target and, like Oster, no matter how well he does something, I shall boo his every contribution!! :wink:

* Note to Mr Dellor's lawyers - I am only joking!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 26 Apr 2008 17:16

Yet again, no post match coverage on line today? Why? There surely can't be any contractual reasons that prevent us hearing Dellor and Gooding talking about the game, a few texts and a couple of post match interviews?!!

BBCRB an explanation please?! :twisted:

BBC Radio Berkshire

by BBC Radio Berkshire » 28 Apr 2008 12:29

You will have noticed that our online sports coverage is now more closely intertwined with the main BBC Sport site.

Hence, on matchdays our coverage is now controlled by BBC Sport, so there was a full match report featuring Steve Coppell online at 16.59 on Saturday evening, available in our own sport index and via BBC Sport's football section...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 356075.stm

This gives you more information, more quickly, but it does mean we lose our 'local' influence interms of including quotes from Mick and/or texts.

There will still be the odd Reading FC feature generated by us (eg Murty with Peach, or this story from STAR http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 360590.stm), but by and large it all goes through London now.

Our online people here at Berkshire concentrate on sports not really covered at national level (Berkshire cricket, local ice hockey etc).

Don't ask about London Irish because that is different again...covered by us on behalf of the national site.

Andy

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 11 May 2008 22:20

BBC Radio Berkshire You will have noticed that our online sports coverage is now more closely intertwined with the main BBC Sport site.

Hence, on matchdays our coverage is now controlled by BBC Sport, so there was a full match report featuring Steve Coppell online at 16.59 on Saturday evening, available in our own sport index and via BBC Sport's football section...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 356075.stm

This gives you more information, more quickly, but it does mean we lose our 'local' influence interms of including quotes from Mick and/or texts.

There will still be the odd Reading FC feature generated by us (eg Murty with Peach, or this story from STAR http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 360590.stm), but by and large it all goes through London now.

Our online people here at Berkshire concentrate on sports not really covered at national level (Berkshire cricket, local ice hockey etc).

Don't ask about London Irish because that is different again...covered by us on behalf of the national site.

Andy

So much for Local Radio!! :twisted:

We don't want effing quicker news/information on non-related RFC matters that's why we listen to BBCRB in the first place! :twisted: What the hell is the point of having your own website including 'listen live' if you then don't use it for dedicated coverage of events in your area.

Anyway, it makes absolutely no sense at all to just broadcast something on line saying you're not currently broadcasting on line!! As you are still broadcasting the show over the radio and not putting anything different out on line, why can't you pipe the show through on line as you used to? It surely can't be that costly or labour intensive?!

Ollie

by Ollie » 11 May 2008 23:23

Evening all. First of all, commiserations on going down (feeling a bit like Sir Dodger, spending months in the void then swooping back on a fateful day). Not a great day here either given my boys lost 8-1, and have suffered enough relegations to know the feeling. Good luck next season.

Second, I think there are crossed wires going on here. RoyalBlue, am I right in thinking you mean the ability to listen online after the games, to hear the BBCRB post-match stuff? Cos I think Andy took "post match coverage online" to mean the written reports and features provided at bbc.co.uk/berkshire.

I don't work for BBCRB any more (thus long absence from posting here) but in my immensely geeky BBC-web-journo experience, I think I can answer RoyalBlue's question.

The "listen live" link on the website goes dead during match commentaries - that much most people now know, and it's due to a contractual obligation. As far as I am aware, no BBC local station can broadcast Football League or Premier League games online, since clubs monetise the commentary by making it available via their "World" packages on their own sites.

Problem is, either a techy or a journalist needs to manually block that listen live button each game, since the thing can't automatically work out whether it's broadcasting a game or not.

It used to be my job to be the evil dark lord turning off the live coverage for everybody - and since I couldn't predict how much injury time there would be, or if the game would kick off a minute or two late, I'd block it from 2:59 (on a 3pm kick-off) til 5pm, figuring games that went on beyond 5pm were rare beasts. That way you'd get your post-match chat back asap without accidentally broadcasting any live commentary (and by the 11th minute of second half stoppage time, I'd expect most people to have stopped trying it).

Since I've left I don't know who manages blocking the link, but I imagine they're flying slightly less by the seat of their pants and blocking it right through til 6pm in case of delay, meteor strike, etc. Thus no post-match chat.

(Note that I left in November so any cheeky online listening in March was nowt to do with me, guv.)

HTH, and all that.

Ollie

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1