Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by sandman » 20 Sep 2018 19:15

Royality creeps In
Zip It was very quiet from Club 1871 last night. It sort of makes it redundant as the whole purpose is to improve the atmosphere and that is simply not happening. Time to go back to the East Stand folks. You gave it a go and for the QPR and Preston games it helped but thereafter it’s gone backwards

And the rest of the stadium was rocking :roll:

I think those criticising should vent their frustrations at the under performing team.
Fair play to anyone in the crowd last night who could raise the enthusiasm to cheer that bunch of LOSERS on the pitch

As a die hard supporter I am now sitting there head in hands just totally frustrated. I could barely muster a cheer when we equalised as deep down I knew what was going to happen next
You have got to be some sort of mentalist to cheer and get behind the team when they cant be arsed!

In a nutshell Cannot really criticise the South Stand with the absolute rubbish being unfurled in front them.

Problem is that the rest of the stadium aren't hyping themselves up with stuff like this,
Club 1871 Lastly, just to reiterate, what we're about is creating a positive atmosphere at a ground that has descended into toxicity negativity over the last half a dozen years or so. We'll give it verbal hell for leather for the full 90.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Sep 2018 02:34

madstadblues I have moved there from Y20 and whilst it's not massively subscribed it's been a massively better experience not having to sit listening to the whinging, moaning t&%@&^rs sat in front and behind me in Y20.

At least the organisers have tried to improve the atmosphere. Let's face it the drummer is surrounded by empty seats, the east corner is empty (even of you shipped all the C1871 folk there it would be a 1/3 full). West and North stand are non particpants so the reality is we have rubbish support which reflects the performances on the pitch.

I swear you must have been sitting near me then, I'm surrounded by dour bastards and young lads who think they are tactical geniuses behind me despite their most frequent call is to "Switch it".

That said, last night I did get quite animated at times and probably came across as a negative arse, I did my best to get behind the team though in the second half when it seemed like we might turn it around. However their second right after our equaliser killed the atmosphere and the players very clearly gave up.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Sep 2018 06:37

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

We simply don’t have the fan base for good support. It’s too low in quantity and quality. Apathetic fans, apathetic team, apathetic club.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 09:07

CountryRoyal I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

We simply don’t have the fan base for good support. It’s too low in quantity and quality. Apathetic fans, apathetic team, apathetic club.

This.

Even the organisers of Club 1871 have been overtaken with apathy. Not heard a peep out of them this season, they aren't even trying anymore.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Sep 2018 10:56

Old Man Andrews

This.

Even the organisers of Club 1871 have been overtaken with apathy. Not heard a peep out of them this season, they aren't even trying anymore.

I would suggest that the typical match day attendance can be broken down into:;

'Elm Park Legacy' ~ 8,000ish (10,000 with family)
'Mad Stad hardcore' (basically 'Y26ers') - 2,000ish
Casual fans - Between 1,000 and 6,000 depending on how well the team is doing.

That gets topped up to capacity by 'tourist fans' whenever we have big games .

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Sep 2018 11:58

Elm Park Kid

Not sure I agree with this. The average attendance at EP in the early 1990s was about 4000. By 1998 it had risen to around 9000. The latter figure was in The Championship and will have been boosted by a large number of matches with 3000+ travelling supporters.

I always felt the Elm Park hardcore was around 6-7000 in the latter days. Our average attendances rose above 12000 as soon as we moved to the Madejski and have continued climbing.

I doubt more than 20% of our current fanbase were Elm Park regulars. The vast majority of our support will be Madejski natives.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Sep 2018 13:45

Jerry St Clair
Elm Park Kid

Not sure I agree with this. The average attendance at EP in the early 1990s was about 4000. By 1998 it had risen to around 9000. The latter figure was in The Championship and will have been boosted by a large number of matches with 3000+ travelling supporters.

I always felt the Elm Park hardcore was around 6-7000 in the latter days. Our average attendances rose above 12000 as soon as we moved to the Madejski and have continued climbing.

I doubt more than 20% of our current fanbase were Elm Park regulars. The vast majority of our support will be Madejski natives.

Good point.

I suppose I meant to split between the 'loyalist' fans that have been with the club a long time and younger lads that are going through the usual 'pub-football in your 20s' phase.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Sep 2018 17:16

Jerry St Clair
Elm Park Kid

It's been 20 years since we left Elm Park, You have to factor in that a % of the regulars will likely be old peoples homes of 6 ft under by now. :cry:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2018 19:13

Old Man Andrews

This.

This would be true if we hadn't had plenty of decent atmosphere under Pardew, Coppell and McDermott.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Sep 2018 19:35

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

This.

This would be true if we hadn't had plenty of decent atmosphere under Pardew, Coppell and McDermott.

Exceptional times imho. You just have to look at our away support - it’s awful for an established championship side, it’s obviously worse now but it always has been poor.

Some League Two sides have a bigger average away following.

Generic Locale Royal

by Generic Locale Royal » 21 Sep 2018 20:31

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
This.

Exceptional times imho. You just have to look at our away support - it’s awful for an established championship side, it’s obviously worse now but it always has been poor.

Lincoln probably pull in about the same as us at the moment.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 21 Sep 2018 21:06

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
This.

I honestly, and sadly, do not think we will ever see a time like that again.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 22 Sep 2018 07:08

Its depressing enough watching them at home. Whats the point of paying (Quite a lot in some cases) to be depressed EVERY Saturday.
Mind you I'm going to Brentford which as usual will be a good day out interrupted by by 90 minutes of head in hands :cry:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2018 11:44

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
This.

Sorry mate, you don't judge home support and atmosphere by away numbers you judge it by noise and atmosphere at home.

It wasn't exceptional times. Pardew's era wasn't unique. We'd got promoted to the chump and had a PO campaign in it before. We finished outside the POs under Coppell twice. Nothing exceptional about that. Getting toa PO final for a recently relegated team? Not unusual... and PO campaigns are hardly unknown to us.

Fact it, you judge other team's home support by the noise they make at our place. Most home supports don't live up to the ideal.

Ours is a bit passive andneeds a bit more riling than some, but feed it decent performances and some victories and its no worse than average.

Find me a home support that wouldn't be in catastrophic decline and silent after 7 years of almost exclusively shit football and worse results.

Stam's first year is an aberration quickly forgotten. And that leaves you with a home support who have seen 27 home wins out of 92. It's not hard to see what the problem is and it's nothing specific to Reading fans.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Sep 2018 12:16

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Sorry mate, you don't judge home support and atmosphere by away numbers you judge it by noise and atmosphere at home.

It wasn't exceptional times. Pardew's era wasn't unique. We'd got promoted to the chump and had a PO campaign in it before. We finished outside the POs under Coppell twice. Nothing exceptional about that. Getting toa PO final for a recently relegated team? Not unusual... and PO campaigns are hardly unknown to us.

Fact it, you judge other team's home support by the noise they make at our place. Most home supports don't live up to the ideal.

Ours is a bit passive andneeds a bit more riling than some, but feed it decent performances and some victories and its no worse than average.

Find me a home support that wouldn't be in catastrophic decline and silent after 7 years of almost exclusively shit football and worse results.

Stam's first year is an aberration quickly forgotten. And that leaves you with a home support who have seen 27 home wins out of 92. It's not hard to see what the problem is and it's nothing specific to Reading fans.

Indeed. We are no worse. Take the Fulham play off semi final. We were the underdogs. The players worked their socks off. The atmosphere was terrific. Compare that to the first thirty minutes against Norwich where the players gave the supporters next to nothing to cheer on their way to the worst start at home in the club’s entire existence. Hardly surprising its so quiet and feels miserable.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 09:28

The team shouldn't need to be winning to be well supported. I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.

What about teams like Plymouth and Portsmouth? They take good numbers everywhere (much better than us) and are utter dross and in dross leagues.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2018 09:35

where are club is isn't particularly given to a large away support. We take good numbers to the likes of Bristol and Brentford, which no doubt will be sold out.

Its a major chore to be travelling up the M6 every other saturday to some northern hellhole to watch whats been a poor side. I'm not surprised we don't take too many. Reading, unlike a lot of those dumps isn't somewhere you can't wait to get out of each week.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Sep 2018 09:41

John Smith The team shouldn't need to be winning to be well supported. I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.

What about teams like Plymouth and Portsmouth? They take good numbers everywhere (much better than us) and are utter dross and in dross leagues.

Have you been to Plymouth or Portsmouth, I'd be using any excuse to leave for the day.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2018 09:54

Club 1871 were horrendous again on Saturday but decided to give it the big I am afterwards on social media claiming credit for the victory more or less. The phrase 'sing when you're winning' has never been so apt when it comes to them.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 24 Sep 2018 10:59

John Smith The team shouldn't need to be winning to be well supported. I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.

Old Man Andrews Club 1871 were horrendous again on Saturday but decided to give it the big I am afterwards on social media claiming credit for the victory more or less. The phrase 'sing when you're winning' has never been so apt when it comes to them.

Tbf Portsmouth would probably beat us at the moment.

2100 posts