311 posts
tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Training Ground

by tee peg » 15 Sep 2016 09:38

Green
West Stand Man
Nameless
I'm fine with a rethink, if they want to improve it then why not ?
They know there is a fixed date it needs to be completed by and as long as they hit that it doesn't matter too much exactly when it is ready.
For what it's worth I would like to see the plans include a 'show pitch' with public access allowing us to watch more of the youth games. It's a shame Hogwood has essentially been a no go area for fans.

Yes, I always had visions of us having a small 'stadium' on one pitch so that we could watch youth games and maybe even lease time on it to Wokingham so that they could come home!

And a bar with 4 guest ales, and a monorail station to get you back into town after.

Dream on folks.

and beer at over a fiver a pint :lol:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 07 Oct 2016 12:51

UpThePrem Work wasn't due to start until later in the year. They had to get the trees down before March because of the bird nesting season otherwise it would stop the main works later in the year. Same as many construction jobs.

No sign of any progress when I went past at the weekend. If they don't get a wriggle on, those dastardly birds and their nest requirements will scupper the development again.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Oct 2016 13:43

but the trees have all been taken down...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Oct 2016 09:55

At this rate new trees will have had time to grow and a new generation of birds built nests before they start training there...

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 12 Oct 2016 17:15

Irrelevant now anyway as you can cut down as many trees as you like until March. (as long as they don't have a TPO on them).

Royal & Ancient
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal & Ancient » 29 Oct 2016 22:44

Going past today and the piles of rubbish at the blocked off entrance are growing higher. Could not see any players under there!
Feel lot of sympathy for the golfers who had to give up this pleasant little course and see it like this.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Oct 2016 07:05

It is a shame we aren't training there, or that it couldn't have been kept as a golf course for the interim but it would have been wrong to keep it for a small number of golfers at the expense of people in need.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Apr 2017 11:26

I can confirm something is happening at the new training ground. I drive past it every day and the bollards outside the front gates have been moved and have seen a few vans and cars in there. Metal fencing has been erected around the perimeter.

Coincidence that this coincides with the advancement in talks with our new potential owners...?

that is all

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 25 Apr 2017 23:33

probably gyppos or squatters...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 Apr 2017 11:28

blueroyals probably gyppos or squatters...

hi blueroyals. I like your posting style, have you ever thought about posting in some of the boards other forums, such as Anything Else?

You seem like just the kind of funny, intelligent and probably good looking operator who would go down a storm on there

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2017 13:22

WoodleyRoyal I can confirm something is happening at the new training ground. I drive past it every day and the bollards outside the front gates have been moved and have seen a few vans and cars in there. Metal fencing has been erected around the perimeter.

Coincidence that this coincides with the advancement in talks with our new potential owners...?

that is all

The fencing also protects the trees that have preservation orders on.
It looks like they are starting to clear the land, the whole site is brown (whereas you'd expect the undergrowth to be flourishing now), couldn't tell if it was dead vegetation due to weedkilling or it has been cleared completely. Barriers are back in front of the entrance and no sign of anyone on site.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 01 May 2017 07:03

Looks like it's been treated with weed killer. The grass under and beyond the fencing is very green and lush in comparison. Good to see things moving albeit at a snail's pace.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2017 07:48

Is it progress or is it just a bit of 'maintenance' work to keep it relatively tidy ?
If it was the precursor to work starting would you spray it rather than plough it ? As it will all be reseeded is the use of weedkiller to get rid of the likelihood of regrowth ?
Any landscaping experts on the board ?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 01 May 2017 08:37

Nameless
WoodleyRoyal It looks like they are starting to clear the land, the whole site is brown

Good to see that the training pitches are going to replicate the actual playing surface at the Mad Stad!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2017 08:40

Hope so, it was in pretty top condition on Saturday.
Apart from one spot which unfortunately was right where the keeper's warm up prematch.
Annoying that the rugby has clearly been deliberately having scrums in the ingoal area just to ruin the football warm up !

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 May 2017 22:10

Muskrat
Nameless
WoodleyRoyal It looks like they are starting to clear the land, the whole site is brown

Good to see that the training pitches are going to replicate the actual playing surface at the Mad Stad!

The main pitch at Hogwood also replicates the Madejski one.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 May 2017 23:11

West Stand Man
Muskrat
Nameless

The main pitch at Hogwood also replicates the Madejski one.

After every London Irish game does the poor groundsman have to go to Hogwood and rough up all the same patches ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jun 2017 16:40

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 23 Jun 2017 21:13

Sutekh New dome has got the go ahead....

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... e-13225216

Hooray!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jun 2017 16:04

Sutekh New dome has got the go ahead....

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... e-13225216

Coaches entering via Arbor Lane....they didn't think that through very well, it's barely wide enough for two cars to pass on parts of that road.....but nice facility to have a few hundreds yards from our house and at the school my son is likely to be going to.....

311 posts