Royal Elm Park

587 posts
rob_dawson

Re: Royal Elm Park

by rob_dawson » 12 Nov 2016 23:40

Watching darts tonight on TV which is being filmed at Wolverhampton Civic Hall - total capacity around 1800 (1200 standing, rest seated).

This is the sort of event that Reading would really benefit from hosting. Gets us more noticed, on the map a bit more, plus a bit more going on about the place.

biff

by biff » 12 Nov 2016 23:57

Maneki Neko
One8Seven1*
Maneki Neko stadium expansion: looks like a near doubling of the east stand capacity, with further increases in north stand.
actually looks very nice. not that it will happen

Any images you can share?

theyre all massive and in stupid formats

dont let that stop you

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Nov 2016 20:50

rob_dawson Watching darts tonight on TV which is being filmed at Wolverhampton Civic Hall - total capacity around 1800 (1200 standing, rest seated).

This is the sort of event that Reading would really benefit from hosting. Gets us more noticed, on the map a bit more, plus a bit more going on about the place.

As a secondary hall that's spot on, but to be a major conference centre and concert hall it'll need a primary flat floor space with seating above it that can hold a minimum of 5-6000 people standing.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Nov 2016 22:00

Maneki Neko
One8Seven1*
Maneki Neko stadium expansion: looks like a near doubling of the east stand capacity, with further increases in north stand.
actually looks very nice. not that it will happen

Come on surely just edit them.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Nov 2016 08:04

Royal Ginger
rob_dawson Watching darts tonight on TV which is being filmed at Wolverhampton Civic Hall - total capacity around 1800 (1200 standing, rest seated).

As a secondary hall that's spot on, but to be a major conference centre and concert hall it'll need a primary flat floor space with seating above it that can hold a minimum of 5-6000 people standing.

Isn't REP meant to hold around 5000? I guess they're all seated around in tiers though?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2016 09:31

Just want any sort of decent centre so there could some prospect of getting on the gig circuit for touring bands as it is quite pathetic that the Thames Valley/Berkshire has nothing to host decent size concerts on a regular basis

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Nov 2016 11:23

Jagermesiter1871
Maneki Neko
One8Seven1*

Come on surely just edit them.

u bloody edit them!

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Nov 2016 12:37

I attended a wake at the stadium recently, and what I believe was an events manager hung around talking to many of us. I don't recall his name, but he was quick to mention he'd played for the club in the 80's and alongside Trevor Senior. He says what a lot of us are thinking, that when REP is built and sold, and the Thai's make their money, they're off. He was very confident of that. He also suggests the club wont make much from it, mainly the conference centre which will bring in small pickings in football terms. The Thai's were lured her by the promise of the land and what they could do with it, and in the meantime they promised to stabilise the club, but long-term they have no interest in the football side. The debt as mentioned hasn't been cleared, neither has it reduced. It has infact increased. Expect the delay in the new training ground to continue right up until they sell. The only way it will start any earlier is if the club can take on the additional debt to fund it, which it shouldn't do. Make of that what you willl; he is, with respect, a no one as such, but it seems anyone I talk to behind the scenes at the club all share the same opinion of what's to come, and no one as yet has anyhting positive to say about REP except Nigel Howe who is very much the Thai's man now.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Nov 2016 12:47

Sutekh Just want any sort of decent centre so there could some prospect of getting on the gig circuit for touring bands as it is quite pathetic that the Thames Valley/Berkshire has nothing to host decent size concerts on a regular basis

Yea it is quite frustrating when watching TV and some band is on talking about a tour they're doing. Up pops the poster saying where they are going:

Cardiff
Bristol
Bournemouth
Oxford
Nottingham

Everytime...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Nov 2016 13:06

One8Seven1* I attended a wake at the stadium recently, and what I believe was an events manager hung around talking to many of us. I don't recall his name, but he was quick to mention he'd played for the club in the 80's and alongside Trevor Senior. He says what a lot of us are thinking, that when REP is built and sold, and the Thai's make their money, they're off. He was very confident of that. He also suggests the club wont make much from it, mainly the conference centre which will bring in small pickings in football terms. The Thai's were lured her by the promise of the land and what they could do with it, and in the meantime they promised to stabilise the club, but long-term they have no interest in the football side. The debt as mentioned hasn't been cleared, neither has it reduced. It has infact increased. Expect the delay in the new training ground to continue right up until they sell. The only way it will start any earlier is if the club can take on the additional debt to fund it, which it shouldn't do. Make of that what you willl; he is, with respect, a no one as such, but it seems anyone I talk to behind the scenes at the club all share the same opinion of what's to come, and no one as yet has anyhting positive to say about REP except Nigel Howe who is very much the Thai's man now.

If I worked for a company, and went badmouthing the company owners to strangers at an occasion like that, I would expect to be sacked, quite honestly. Are you sure he actually worked directly for ReadingFC? As opposed to a loose associate with a bee in his bonnet, taking this opportunity to spread some poison around. Seriously, I can't see an actual employee doing that, unless they were thick as two planks. What if somebody he talked to knew Nigel Howe personally - surely he'd be out on his ear in no time.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but this is not evidence.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 14 Nov 2016 13:25

bobby1413
Sutekh Just want any sort of decent centre so there could some prospect of getting on the gig circuit for touring bands as it is quite pathetic that the Thames Valley/Berkshire has nothing to host decent size concerts on a regular basis

Yea it is quite frustrating when watching TV and some band is on talking about a tour they're doing. Up pops the poster saying where they are going:

Cardiff
Bristol
Bournemouth
Oxford
Nottingham

Everytime...

It won't make any difference. Reading's problem has always been that geographically it is too close to London.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2016 14:11

grey_squirrel
bobby1413

Cardiff
Bristol
Bournemouth
Oxford
Nottingham

Everytime...

It won't make any difference. Reading's problem has always been that geographically it is too close to London.

Until there is an "event hall" in this area that is capable of offering such a venue that argument is totally unprovable.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Nov 2016 14:12

Can Reading Council not insist on guarantees to the club?

Would the club not be more attractive to future buyers with Reading South a piazza and all the bobbins?

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Nov 2016 14:41

muirinho
One8Seven1* I attended a wake at the stadium recently, and what I believe was an events manager hung around talking to many of us. I don't recall his name, but he was quick to mention he'd played for the club in the 80's and alongside Trevor Senior. He says what a lot of us are thinking, that when REP is built and sold, and the Thai's make their money, they're off. He was very confident of that. He also suggests the club wont make much from it, mainly the conference centre which will bring in small pickings in football terms. The Thai's were lured her by the promise of the land and what they could do with it, and in the meantime they promised to stabilise the club, but long-term they have no interest in the football side. The debt as mentioned hasn't been cleared, neither has it reduced. It has infact increased. Expect the delay in the new training ground to continue right up until they sell. The only way it will start any earlier is if the club can take on the additional debt to fund it, which it shouldn't do. Make of that what you willl; he is, with respect, a no one as such, but it seems anyone I talk to behind the scenes at the club all share the same opinion of what's to come, and no one as yet has anyhting positive to say about REP except Nigel Howe who is very much the Thai's man now.

If I worked for a company, and went badmouthing the company owners to strangers at an occasion like that, I would expect to be sacked, quite honestly. Are you sure he actually worked directly for ReadingFC? As opposed to a loose associate with a bee in his bonnet, taking this opportunity to spread some poison around. Seriously, I can't see an actual employee doing that, unless they were thick as two planks. What if somebody he talked to knew Nigel Howe personally - surely he'd be out on his ear in no time.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but this is not evidence.

Yes, he 100% works for the club. He managed the arrangements for the wake, so my assumption is events manager, but it's probably not a bad thing I don't have specifics as don't want the chap to get into any trouble. I could pick him out from some 80's pictures if I looked hard enough.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 14 Nov 2016 15:05

More likely he works for the catering contractors rather than the football club. Probably just trying to make himself seem more important. Silly to give credence to utter supposition.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Nov 2016 15:12

He also suggests the club wont make much from it
:lol:

I fcuking knew it. Quick, Sack the board before they make us some money!

BKRoyale

by BKRoyale » 14 Nov 2016 15:37

Yellowcoat More likely he works for the catering contractors rather than the football club. Probably just trying to make himself seem more important. Silly to give credence to utter supposition.

Definitely this, having previously worked for the catering company myself (in a completely different area) - all hospitality managers will be employed by them, not the club.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Nov 2016 16:27

Sutekh
grey_squirrel
bobby1413

Cardiff
Bristol
Bournemouth
Oxford
Nottingham

Everytime...

Until there is an "event hall" in this area that is capable of offering such a venue that argument is totally unprovable.

Some of the stuff getting dragged through the hexagon plays bigger places elsewhere particularly comedians.

Bands and other 'shows' are a secondary spend for an out of town arena/conference centre. The acid test would be if a deal can be struck between the centre and the local economy to allow major corporate and even more so medical conferences to put it's hundreds/thousands of delegates in hotels cheaper than Brighton, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Sheffield, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. London is already too expensive, Reading has the proximity to London as a selling point rather than a competitor in this matter.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Nov 2016 16:56

Yellowcoat More likely he works for the catering contractors rather than the football club. Probably just trying to make himself seem more important. Silly to give credence to utter supposition.

No he works for the club, that I'm sure of. He played for us in the 80's. I could give up a little more on him and his family but that could land the poor chap in trouble, so I wont.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 14 Nov 2016 17:04

There's no need to lie to look big on an internet forum.

587 posts