Safe Standing Petition

sloughroyal123

Safe Standing Petition

by sloughroyal123 » 22 Jan 2016 23:01

A new safe stand petition has been set up, if it's something you are interested in seeing please sign it. Already at over 700 signatures https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119094

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Safe Standing Petition

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2016 23:03

These days...half of us prefer to sit down, halfway through our standing up

Good luck though

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2016 23:22

Out

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2016 23:30

Spare us the details paul

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jan 2016 23:41

I bet that most of the wheel chair folk would love the chance to stand at a football game. We're so ungrateful.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 09:54

sloughroyal123 A new safe stand petition has been set up, if it's something you are interested in seeing please sign it. Already at over 700 signatures https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119094

Is this petition associated with any proper campaign or supporters group?

Because a good way of gaining credibility in asking for something is being able to write a short paragraph in good English if you wish to be tsken seriously. I can't believe any decent action group would throw that up. Partly because it seems to semi legitimise safety concers about standing using Hillsbrough as an example when the normal position is that safety concerns linked to standing were false and certainly little to do with that disaster.

Given how poorly written it is, i don't think it's appropriate to bring it to MPs attention. Better to lobby your local MP (accurately) and directly. Or join a major well organised and existing campaign.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Jan 2016 11:04

Since Hillsborough, all the top teams (odd distinction to make since it wasn't just the top teams) have scrapped standing areas due to the lack of safety, however their (there) is an alternative: safe standing. Safe standing uses rails to make sure the area cannot get to (too) crowded, whilst still retaining the great atmosphere stadia like Old Trafford or Anfield deserve (full stop needed)

This system is already being used in Germany, where the atmosphere is far greater than here in the UK (hyperbole) and no safety risks have been shown.

(Extreme lack of information provided, no external sources cited)

D- Must try harder
Last edited by tidus_mi2 on 25 Jan 2016 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 25 Jan 2016 11:13

That petition looks like it was written by one of those 16 year old 'casuals' who claim to be against modern football.

Isn't there an official campaign run by the FSF, or something, which would be a better place to lend your support?

For the record, I think safe standing should be looked at seriously as it quite obviously works elsewhere. The alternative of people standing in seated areas is a disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Jan 2016 16:33

tidus_mi2
Since Hillsborough, all the top teams (odd distinction to make since it wasn't just the top teams) have scrapped standing areas due to the lack of safety, however their (there) is an alternative: safe standing. Safe standing uses rails to make sure the area cannot get to crowded, whilst still retaining the great atmosphere stadia like Old Trafford or Anfield deserve (full stop needed)

This system is already being used in Germany, where the atmosphere is far greater than here in the UK (hyperbole) and no safety risks have been shown.

D- Must try harder

You missed one out tidus.

E.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Jan 2016 17:06

Tony Le Mesmer
tidus_mi2
Since Hillsborough, all the top teams (odd distinction to make since it wasn't just the top teams) have scrapped standing areas due to the lack of safety, however their (there) is an alternative: safe standing. Safe standing uses rails to make sure the area cannot get to crowded, whilst still retaining the great atmosphere stadia like Old Trafford or Anfield deserve (full stop needed)

D- Must try harder

E.

Or have I? :wink:

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Jan 2016 13:56

Signed.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Jan 2016 14:11

Ian Royal
sloughroyal123 A new safe stand petition has been set up, if it's something you are interested in seeing please sign it. Already at over 700 signatures https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119094

Is this petition associated with any proper campaign or supporters group?

Because a good way of gaining credibility in asking for something is being able to write a short paragraph in good English if you wish to be tsken seriously. I can't believe any decent action group would throw that up. Partly because it seems to semi legitimise safety concers about standing using Hillsbrough as an example when the normal position is that safety concerns linked to standing were false and certainly little to do with that disaster.

Given how poorly written it is, i don't think it's appropriate to bring it to MPs attention. Better to lobby your local MP (accurately) and directly. Or join a major well organised and existing campaign.

+1.

Dirk Gently (RIP) would be turning in his grave.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jan 2016 22:53

Coppelled_Streets Signed.

Classic example of who'll sign this.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2016 23:30

tidus_mi2
Tony Le Mesmer
tidus_mi2
D- Must try harder

E.

Or have I? :wink:

Definitely missed one. In my experience, the atmosphere at both Old Trafford and Anfield is shit.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 Jan 2016 12:39

Ian Royal

For wanting a safe standing area? You really are a prat, Ian. Why not cater for all? We're not all boring little farts like you who want to sit there with a cup of hot chocolate and sit in silence. Some actually feel that being on your feet and adding to the atmosphere is a big part of their match day experience!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2016 17:12

Coppelled_Streets
Ian Royal

For wanting a safe standing area? You really are a prat, Ian. Why not cater for all? We're not all boring little farts like you who want to sit there with a cup of hot chocolate and sit in silence. Some actually feel that being on your feet and adding to the atmosphere is a big part of their match day experience!

:lol:

Try reading the petition, then reading everyone else's response to it, including mine. You're really demonstrating you earnt your Batchelor's Degree.

Oh, and I stand all game and sing. And very rarely have a hot chocolate. Thanks for proving my point.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 29 Jan 2016 17:37

Is a Batchelors degree some sort of soup based qualification?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2016 17:57

Winchester Royal Is a Batchelors degree some sort of soup based qualification?

:oops: whoops. Probably closer to what Jay has though.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 30 Jan 2016 10:04

The second any safe standing petitioner gets lazy and utters the words 'look at Germany' I am OUT!

safe standing doesn't dict8 atmosphere, attitude does.

cp

by cp » 30 Jan 2016 11:09

I need to sit nowadays, so standing is not an option for me, but I can see the attraction for others. However, apart from the safety aspects (which of course are paramount), standing in a seating area isn't good (eg those who can't stand easily such as myself, can't see past people).

So it would clearly need to be a separate area. But then the club will have 2 types of areas to sell tickets for and to fill. Given currently they can just sell tickets for seating anywhere, I can't see them taking on the problem of needing to ensure 2 types of areas get filled. It may be economic & logistical reasons that make it unlikely.