The Egg chasers relegation

353 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Egg chasers relegation

by John Smith » 18 Dec 2018 15:46

Nameless It’s Sad to see Irish go and I fear for their future.
The one eyed RFC fans who ranted on about the pitch have been proved well and truely wrong as since the pitch was relaid there has been absolutely no issues.
I do agree that this gives an opportunity to get the women’s team playing at the Madejski. At the moment they really don’t feel a full part of the club, which they should be.

Rugby is a joke sport and has rightly had to go.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Dec 2018 16:32

John Smith
The one eyed RFC fans who ranted on about the pitch have been proved well and truely wrong as since the pitch was relaid there has been absolutely no issues.
I do agree that this gives an opportunity to get the women’s team playing at the Madejski. At the moment they really don’t feel a full part of the club, which they should be.

I suspect rugby cares little for your opinion of it !
I love my football but at the highest level rugby (union) wipes the floor with football.
Footballcan only dream of having a team like the All Blacks....

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Dec 2018 16:35

Nameless I suspect rugby cares little for your opinion of it !
I love my football but at the highest level rugby (union) wipes the floor with football.

My god. Another member of this board that needs to have their account revoked.

Go and post on a rugby forum them.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Dec 2018 17:02

John Smith
Nameless I suspect rugby cares little for your opinion of it !

My god. Another member of this board that needs to have their account revoked.

Go and post on a rugby forum them.

We’re not allowed any breadth of sporting interest then ?
You must find just watching one sport utterly tedious !

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Dec 2018 17:08

Nameless
John Smith

The All Blacks are in quite a unique spot with such a small population producing such world class players over such a long period of time.

I would guess the only team which comes close to it would be the Spain team of the late 00s -> early 10s.

Would compare the West Indies cricket team of the 70s & 80s with the All Blacks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Dec 2018 17:20

Hendo
Nameless
John Smith Rugby is a joke sport and has rightly had to go.

The All Blacks are in quite a unique spot with such a small population producing such world class players over such a long period of time.

I would guess the only team which comes close to it would be the Spain team of the late 00s -> early 10s.

Would compare the West Indies cricket team of the 70s & 80s with the All Blacks.

Been a few great teams in various sports but no one has been able to just continually replace world class stars with new stars so seamlessly and over such a long time. They also manage to combine incredible skill with extreme physicality and breath taking teamwork.
Closest I can think of is the 106 side....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Dec 2018 17:44

Nameless
Hendo
Nameless

Been a few great teams in various sports but no one has been able to just continually replace world class stars with new stars so seamlessly and over such a long time. They also manage to combine incredible skill with extreme physicality and breath taking teamwork.
Closest I can think of is the 106 side....

Absolutely.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Dec 2018 17:54

They should be fine. It's not like London is overflowing with decent rugby teams, but it will take a while to build up support.

The one eyed RFC fans who ranted on about the pitch have been proved well and truely wrong as since the pitch was relaid there has been absolutely no issues..

The issues only really came about when you had a rugby match after a prolonged period of heavy rain. That would always ruin the pitch. General use didn't present many issues at all, but it just couldn't take the punishment when very soft.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Dec 2018 19:51

tmesis

They should be fine. It's not like London is overflowing with decent rugby teams, but it will take a while to build up support.

The one eyed RFC fans who ranted on about the pitch have been proved well and truely wrong as since the pitch was relaid there has been absolutely no issues..

The issues only really came about when you had a rugby match after a prolonged period of heavy rain. That would always ruin the pitch. General use didn't present many issues at all, but it just couldn't take the punishment when very soft.

Odd that since the pitch was relaid there has been no wear, whatever the weather. The problem was always down to the pitch not being maintained properly rather than the usage. It’s designed to handle at least 80 events in a season if looked after. Not saying that after a double header weekend with wet weather it woukdn’t Start looking a bit ragged but it should always have recovered quickly.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Dec 2018 21:50

Nameless
tmesis

Odd that since the pitch was relaid there has been no wear, whatever the weather. The problem was always down to the pitch not being maintained properly rather than the usage. It’s designed to handle at least 80 events in a season if looked after. Not saying that after a double header weekend with wet weather it woukdn’t Start looking a bit ragged but it should always have recovered quickly.

It never did though. You'd usually, about once a season, have a week of terrible weather around January, then the Irish would be at home, and destroy the pitch. It just couldn't recover until the end of the season.

Playing rugby in such conditions just damages the pitch far more than usual.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Dec 2018 07:44

Seems odd that in the season after a major pitch replacement with some of the worst winter weather in recent years and plenty of rugby played the pitch showed no signs of the problems seen in previous years.
The claimhad always been that it was the cumulative effects of rugbybthst had created the problem, interesting that now it seems it happened after a single game....

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Dec 2018 13:36

Nameless Seems odd that in the season after a major pitch replacement with some of the worst winter weather in recent years and plenty of rugby played the pitch showed no signs of the problems seen in previous years.
The claimhad always been that it was the cumulative effects of rugbybthst had created the problem, interesting that now it seems it happened after a single game....

Rugby causes patches of wear, but it's always been playing on an excessively heavy/soft pitch that causes excessive damage. Scrums/mauls etc put far more strain on the surface than football ever does, and when it's wet teams tend to go for a more physical carrying game to avoid turnovers from dropping passes - which means more even more pitch-damaging mauls than usual.

The pitch certainly copes a lot better than it used to, but if you get that perfect storm of rugby played after a prolonged period of rain, it will damage the pitch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2018 10:45

I think the weather was reasonably kind last year. Had that horrible week or two of snow, but it was in March, when the grass is growing again, so it recovered quite quickly. Basically grass grows when the temp doesn't fall below 5c. Reckon if that had been December or January, the pitch would have suffered more. Dec-Feb from memory were pretty mild and not excessively wet

I was pretty amazed when I watched LI last year, that the fat rugger lads warmed up by imitating the scrum on the actual football pitch, inside the penalty area and on the wing just outside. Proper dug up the pitch with clearly no regard for any damage caused (and obvs not their problem)

353 posts