The Egg chasers relegation

353 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Egg chasers relegation

by tmesis » 16 Oct 2016 21:19

AthleticoSpizz Can't say that I have been over-enamoured (bearing in mind, we have three Reading teams and we, being neither London nor Irish) but 16 years in......funny that nobody was complaining back in 2006 etc

There were numerous complaints in the earlier years, not just lately.

When LI finally move out...no doubt we (RFC) will be seeking new tenants

With London Irish only drawing just over 3000 despite being top of the league, and with an established fan base, from London, as well as here, it's difficult to see who could step into their place.

I can't really see any other London club thinking they'd get the support to make renting the ground pay off, nor would any rugby club in Reading have a hope in hell of making the move pay.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Oct 2016 21:29

Don't know the £inances

But LI are in the league below and still getting 3k + crowds......this will increase as their "successful" season progresses.

If they....or any team can average 6k then surely it would pay-off?

Afterall, it was less than 20 years ago that our own football team weren't attracting crowds much bigger than that

and tbf...I cannot remember any complaints from the footballing fraternity back in the days of Richmond and early day LI

Maybe, My memory has slipped

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Feb 2017 14:52

BBC saying the Irish move to the new Brentford stadium is now confirmed.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Feb 2017 15:11

Obviously no details on dates etc yet as the stadium hasn't even started to be built. Irish will invoke the early escape clause in their contract and return to their roots as soon as they can.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Feb 2017 15:40

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Feb 2017 15:49

In the meantime, Irish are likely to be back in the Premier League next season, they have been a class above everyone else this season, while they could choke in the play-offs, I just can't see it happening.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Feb 2017 16:28

They seem very very keen to move back to Brentford. Found it slightly strange no mention of the fans that have supported them in Reading. Pretty much turns me to the good riddance side of the argument to be honest

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2017 16:35

tidus_mi2 In the meantime, Irish are likely to be back in the Premier League next season, they have been a class above everyone else this season, while they could choke in the play-offs, I just can't see it happening.

Not difficult, aren't they virtually the only professional team at that level this season?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Feb 2017 19:47

Hound They seem very very keen to move back to Brentford. Found it slightly strange no mention of the fans that have supported them in Reading. Pretty much turns me to the good riddance side of the argument to be honest
nearer to their brilliant training facilities ( Hazlewood) this would always be on the cards. The name London and Irish hasn't rang that well around here.

Some of the Reading -based clientel might take the journey own the M4. Plenty of alternative local teams to nestle into...but I doubt that they will

Can see the Madstad having different tenants when LI leave...like Coventry based "London team" Wasps....the stadium spends too much time unoccupied otherwise.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Feb 2017 21:05

Hound They seem very very keen to move back to Brentford. Found it slightly strange no mention of the fans that have supported them in Reading. Pretty much turns me to the good riddance side of the argument to be honest

Genuinely pleased when they piss off. That press release pretty much sums up their existence whilst based in Reading.

Hopefully with new owners for us, the general pittance we receive whilst ruining the playing surface damaging the type of football we are trying to encourage their will be no need to rent the ground out again. Teams with
Premier league aspirations do not require such tenants.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Feb 2017 21:29

You deluded fool....but yeeees

(Not that you're bothered about local youth sport..........but the local rugby scene will miss them and their money/development opportunities).

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Feb 2017 21:44

Not seen any of their youth development but I do see loads from Basingstoke, Aldermaston, Tadley, Overton, Newbury etc so doubt it will make a ripple.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Feb 2017 22:06

paultheroyal Not seen any of their youth development but I do see loads from Basingstoke, Aldermaston, Tadley, Overton, Newbury etc so doubt it will make a ripple.
three (Reading) Abbey lads that have gone on to represent England U 18's (in the last year alone) and are currently first-teaming for LI and Wasps...and that's just my lads ex-team mates.

Cannot vouch for the other two Reading teams and their lads who may've benefitted from LI's mentoring....but I know one of Redingensians lads was a regular in LI's Premier team last season.

Look outside of the football family occasionally Paul

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 10 Feb 2017 22:46

paultheroyal

Genuinely pleased when they piss off. That press release pretty much sums up their existence whilst based in Reading.

Hopefully with new owners for us, the general pittance we receive whilst ruining the playing surface damaging the type of football we are trying to encourage their will be no need to rent the ground out again. Teams with
Premier league aspirations do not require such tenants.

^^ This. Never wanted Richmond or London Irish playing at our stadium and I can't believe we actually make a single shiny penny out of them doing so. So quite frankly it's fack orf and good riddance.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Feb 2017 22:54

Great... : :roll:

So lets have this decent stadium doing nothing for more than 23 weeks per year :roll:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Feb 2017 00:29

AthleticoSpizz
paultheroyal Not seen any of their youth development but I do see loads from Basingstoke, Aldermaston, Tadley, Overton, Newbury etc so doubt it will make a ripple.
three (Reading) Abbey lads that have gone on to represent England U 18's (in the last year alone) and are currently first-teaming for LI and Wasps...and that's just my lads ex-team mates.

Cannot vouch for the other two Reading teams and their lads who may've benefitted from LI's mentoring....but I know one of Redingensians lads was a regular in LI's Premier team last season.

Look outside of the football family occasionally Paul

Clueless with your last comment...

Won't get more of a sporting billy than me....

I have an opinion on the Irish being at madjeski and that is all...

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Feb 2017 00:30

AthleticoSpizz Great... : :roll:

So lets have this decent stadium doing nothing for more than 23 weeks per year :roll:

Like pretty much every other football stadium up and down the country.... more to life than on the pitch....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Feb 2017 02:27

Just to repeat myself on this thread for the 3rd time I think ...

I just don't get why people are so delighted and exurberent over LI leaving.

The argument that they ruin our pitch i just don't buy. I've seen other grounds which are pure football and they've had poor pitches sometimes. Also so-the-feck-what if our pitch is cut up. Our players should be used to it, opposition ones not.

The advantages for Reading are the biggest draw for me.

A top rugby team (well was a top one and soon to be again I think)

People moan about a lack of things to do in the town or lack of attractions, etc... you all my not like rugby (I'm not a fan btw) but many do and it puts Reading on the map more, increases visitors, helps grow the place etc...

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Feb 2017 07:49

Bobby, seriously,

Do you really think Arsenal, Chelsea and the like could play their football on a pitch like ours? Seriously?

There is a reason there pitches are like bowling greens, it's left for football, looked after and suits their style of play.

Most too teams have quality pitches now because of sole use. Next you will be saying you will want a pitch like Huddersfield and there's is like that through normal wear and tear.

The accountant books show it's not an exciting return of cash to have rugby here and with the constant development needed in pitch maintenance to repair the mess it just ain't worth it.

How does London Irish put Reading on the map? They clearly want to go back to their roots....

Plenty of top quality rugby in surrounding towns which means something locally to people to go and watch.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 11 Feb 2017 07:56

I think for me, the good news around their move will be that the smaller inconveniences of having tenants can be ironed out.

For example, the obligation to have a section of the shop displaying LI tat, the London Irish players included in the lovely Heineken mosaic outside the East Stand and it really irks me when I see footage of the stadium in general with the LI branding. All this twinned with the fact that we are getting a yearly pittance (in the grand scheme of things), it just seems more of a nuisance. It won't be a big one, but I can see a small rise in our attendances for the sport lover who no longer has the chance to watch the rugby.

The impact on the pitch mind doesn't have as much to do with LI as people make out. Yes, the volume of matches, which includes numerous youth football matches, doesn't help - but it has been 10 years since it had a major overhaul.

353 posts