The Egg chasers relegation

353 posts
LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: The Egg chasers relegation

by LWJ » 13 Feb 2017 12:33

AthleticoSpizz
The pitch is in a sh1t state, and yes LI have played a large part in its demise. However, and again, I did spot some areas that were grassless in zones that could not be attributed to the rugby, football, linesmen/touch judges etc......but maybe I'm just "embarrassing" myself further by mentioning it.

Which areas out of interest?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Feb 2017 13:43

Hound Hopefully the pitch should improve quite quickly now we've warmer weather

:shock: Where's that warmer weather?

Talking about the sun making the grass grow (not that there's much left to grow!), what happened to the 'growth lights' that the club used to hire? Has cost cutting seen the end of them?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2017 13:57

ha really? Its about 10c warmer today...

all the grass roots underneath the surface should start sending out new shoots when the average soil temp stays above 5c. Anything higher than that will help it grow quicker - so a couple of weeks of 10c+ and no frosts (as forecast) should see some reasonable growth starting

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Feb 2017 14:48

LWJ
AthleticoSpizz
The pitch is in a sh1t state, and yes LI have played a large part in its demise. However, and again, I did spot some areas that were grassless in zones that could not be attributed to the rugby, football, linesmen/touch judges etc......but maybe I'm just "embarrassing" myself further by mentioning it.

the area surrounding, and just back from the SW corner flag was one of the worst.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2017 14:55

half time penalties?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Feb 2017 15:07

Hound half time penalties?

That's North-East, surely?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 13 Feb 2017 15:13

AthleticoSpizz
LWJ
AthleticoSpizz

the area surrounding, and just back from the SW corner flag was one of the worst.

Anything from the 10 down to the try line on either side of the pitch will be maul related from kicking to touch/ playing percentages. Especially if it comes in 5 yards or so from the touch line.

Looking at Paul's picture I can basically explain all but the centre circle mud patches for why rugby would have created them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2017 15:46

Platypuss
Hound half time penalties?

That's North-East, surely?

oh yeah

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Feb 2017 20:38

LWJ
AthleticoSpizz
LWJ Which areas out of interest?

Anything from the 10 down to the try line on either side of the pitch will be maul related from kicking to touch/ playing percentages. Especially if it comes in 5 yards or so from the touch line.

Looking at Paul's picture I can basically explain all but the centre circle mud patches for why rugby would have created them.
yeah thanx, but this is pretty much "dead ball" territory that I was looking at.

Not quite so unexplainable but almost as puzzling is the technical areas...they looked sparce yet normally don't see too much abuse.....in fact, they rarely see anyone at all inside them :)

(Sadly, Pauls' pic doesnt show the affected corner areas.)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Feb 2017 22:10

RoyalBlue

Talking about the sun making the grass grow (not that there's much left to grow!), what happened to the 'growth lights' that the club used to hire? Has cost cutting seen the end of them?

They own the lights, they don't hire them. I think they have 4 sets having bought a more from Arsenal a couple of seasons ago. They are usually parked by the fence behind the South Stand when not in use. I don't think they are powerful enough to turn mud to grass....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Feb 2017 08:07

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Feb 2017 08:08

I did have other photos showing area around the box but deleted them.

I'm a remainer but got to admit the pitch doesn't look great.

All the green stuff has gone.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2017 08:21

Thanks Bobby

I rest my case (hi Paul)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2017 08:43

wow.

At a guess I'd say no sunlight hits that part of the pitch in the winter months, hence why it is so terrible.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 14 Feb 2017 12:08

Looks like the SE corner. Which would be where stuff like the lights gets wheeled in and out

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2017 15:28

It was the same (if not worse) at the SW corner....and without any mechanical incursions

For for you
Paultheroyal x

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Feb 2017 00:18

AthleticoSpizz It was the same (if not worse) at the SW corner....and without any mechanical incursions

For for you
Paultheroyal x

Thought I would look myself before making judgement and yep, I was right you are talking utter bollocks. You focus on an area with obvious increased where and tear from heavy equipment, drag off areas from pitch release and probably because they can't be arsed to spend time to repair a five metre square area of the pitch when rest of pitch is oxf*rd from the rugby. The pitch is in a shit condition for the reasons already said but crack on and keep embarrassing yourself. Further evidence is highlights of other games tonight in the championship....

On a separate note had to laugh at stam tonight who said he is looking forward to Huddersfield because football will be improved as pitch better than hours lol - he clearly hasn't seen any footage of their home games yet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Feb 2017 08:13

Nameless
RoyalBlue

They own the lights, they don't hire them. I think they have 4 sets having bought a more from Arsenal a couple of seasons ago. They are usually parked by the fence behind the South Stand when not in use. I don't think they are powerful enough to turn mud to grass....

I thought I'd heard they hired them, at least initially, possibly from Wembley?

True, they can't turn mud to grass but should help what grass is left on the pitch to grow. Also, if used, hopefully we would have lost less grass.

So back to my original question, are they still there and being used?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Feb 2017 18:48

RoyalBlue
Nameless
RoyalBlue

I thought I'd heard they hired them, at least initially, possibly from Wembley?

True, they can't turn mud to grass but should help what grass is left on the pitch to grow. Also, if used, hopefully we would have lost less grass.

So back to my original question, are they still there and being used?

See use of the present tense in the previous answer.....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 Feb 2017 17:10

Just watching a bit of the Ospreys rugby game :oops: on sky sports 1.

They play in Swanseas stadium and their pitch looks lovely. Healthy green, no bald patches.

Why is Readings so sh*t then?

353 posts