The Egg chasers relegation

353 posts
retro royal

The Egg chasers relegation

by retro royal » 07 Mar 2016 13:32

Great news, the pitch should be much better next season with the imminent relegation of London Irish

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Egg chasers relegation

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2016 13:44

Why's that then? Do you get a season off if you get relegated?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2016 14:24

Sutekh Why's that then? Do you get a season off if you get relegated?

I'd imagine they'd look to a downgraded capacity ground but not sure how that would work out with current contracts?

Anyway I think there's a thread on this already in club policies, which is where this should be.

On a side note the pitch is truly shocking, I don't remember it this bad for some time.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 07 Mar 2016 14:36

It wouldn't surprise me if they have opted to not strengthen in order to go down and release themselves from the contract they have with the stadium and move to Brentford new ground when its finished.

There won't be a huge difference in the money the club receives as there is no real money in the game anyway.

They used to sell out the stoop when they played there, so I would imagine they would be willing to take a hit for a year in order to achieve their long term ambition of playing in London.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Mar 2016 14:42

I would be surprised if they stay as can't see them attracting the crowds they would need in the Championship bar in the play-offs if they make it.

Depends on the contract I guess though. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a clause in there allowing them to leave if they are relegated with the option to return if they get promoted again.

Also would depend who comes up, Bedford are well placed to make the play-offs and will need a suitable ground, so could look to move over if they are promoted and LI relegated - though Wycombe may suit them better.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Mar 2016 15:07

Lol at the idea they have not strengthened ! They signed some top class players but sadly everyone else has more money so just keeps moving further ahead.
There is a thought that a season in the Championship would be no bad thing as they get parachute payments and would win just about every game by a big margin if they kept the squad together. I think they'd stay here for that one season as the crowds would probably not change (fewer away fans balanced by more locals returning to see a winning team).
The Brentford move seems unlikely, there's no benefit for them to go there unless it is at zero cost. They need a ground of their own but I've seen nothing to indicate that is even on the horizon.
Would be really sad if they left and it wouldn't make that much difference to the pitch so we'd need another excuse for that....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Mar 2016 15:08

CountryRoyal On a side note the pitch is truly shocking, I don't remember it this bad for some time.

True dat... it's an utter disgrace

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Mar 2016 15:20

It's a bit premature to be celebrating their relegation when there are still 6 games left to play, including away games against their 2 closest relegation rivals Newcastle and Worcester. That said it does look bleak, winning those 2 games would still only put them level on points with Newcastle directly above them so they'd either have to get a win or 2 elsewhere or actually start picking up bonus points when they've only gained 1 all season.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Mar 2016 15:22

Are people genuinely talking about rugby on here?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Mar 2016 16:13

John Smith Are people genuinely talking about rugby on here?

sure, some people can appreciate a wide range of sports. I understand for some a simple game like football is as much as they can handle but there are more sophisticated options :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Mar 2016 16:27

Nameless and it wouldn't make that much difference to the pitch so we'd need another excuse for that....

:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Mar 2016 16:40

cannot believe we only charge them 0.6 million a year.
ridiculously under priced.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Mar 2016 16:57

Was pondering this earlier,

Some quotes from admittedly the previous regime in 2013 when faced with relegation....

“Firstly, we won’t get relegated. But even if we did, we will still be at Madejski Stadium.

“You would expect when these sort of contracts are put in place long term all different eventualities are factored in.

“One of those is what league we are playing in, but there is no grey area. It is very clear, the contract works for us and we enjoy being at Madejski Stadium.

“We will be staying there regardless of what league we are playing in next year. That is covered in the contract so we are absolutely relaxed about that. It won’t happen.”

[url]http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/rugby-news/london-irish-stay-madejski-stadium-4299077
[/url]

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 07 Mar 2016 18:12

JamieY26 It wouldn't surprise me if they have opted to not strengthen in order to go down and release themselves from the contract they have with the stadium and move to Brentford new ground when its finished.

There won't be a huge difference in the money the club receives as there is no real money in the game anyway.

They used to sell out the stoop when they played there, so I would imagine they would be willing to take a hit for a year in order to achieve their long term ambition of playing in London.

When did they play at The Stoop? That is Harlequins stadium (just across the road from Twickenham).

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Mar 2016 18:13

Nameless
John Smith Are people genuinely talking about rugby on here?

sure, some people can appreciate a wide range of sports. I understand for some a simple game like football is as much as they can handle but there are more sophisticated options :wink:

Lol at rugby being sophisticated. A load repressed homosexuals jumping on each other.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 07 Mar 2016 18:15

bobby1413
CountryRoyal On a side note the pitch is truly shocking, I don't remember it this bad for some time.

But not a lot to do with the Irish playing on it. The problems go deeper than that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2016 18:23

West Stand Man
bobby1413

But not a lot to do with the Irish playing on it. The problems go deeper than that.

Yeah it's not like we've had a rugby team on it every other season when the pitch was fine or anything.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Mar 2016 18:36

The pitch is designed to cope with the use it gets. And the areas of worst wear are pretty obviously caused by football use.
It's fair to say if the pitch was used less, and especially if there were fewer double header weekends it might help keep it better but I don't think there is much evidence that the rugby causes the pitch problems.

Irish shared The Stoop before moving into the Madejski.

As for rugby players being repressed homosexuals it's a thought that rugby is one of the few sports where openly gay players and officials have been involved at the very top level with barely an eyebrow raised. Repressed or just not bothered about it ? Whereas football is way too scared of it to do anything other than use it as a term of abuse. Very sophisticated......

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Mar 2016 20:51

You're a cheerless fcuker nameless. Go on smile.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Mar 2016 20:58

Nameless The pitch is designed to cope with the use it gets. And the areas of worst wear are pretty obviously caused by football use.
It's fair to say if the pitch was used less, and especially if there were fewer double header weekends it might help keep it better but I don't think there is much evidence that the rugby causes the pitch problems.

Irish shared The Stoop before moving into the Madejski.

As for rugby players being repressed homosexuals it's a thought that rugby is one of the few sports where openly gay players and officials have been involved at the very top level with barely an eyebrow raised. Repressed or just not bothered about it ? Whereas football is way too scared of it to do anything other than use it as a term of abuse. Very sophisticated......

Not sure if you are on a wind up or totally dillusional!

Rugby has destroyed that pitch. The bare patches are set down from line outs and scrums! The pitch can cope with a match on a Saturday with a downpour but throw in a wet rugby match on a Sunday and it takes it toll.

I will be delighted if Irish get relegated if it means it's not financially viable to stay at the madjeski and go elsewhere.

353 posts