My second team -Reading

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: My second team -Reading

by tmesis » 21 Dec 2016 18:43

I grew up not liking football at all, then got into it aged 11 when a mate suggested we watch the 81 cup final and replay. The following morning he suggested we should supports Spurs (he was one of those kids who changed teams as often as he changed his jumper) so I went along with it, and followed them, getting properly into following their games week by week in 1982.

Until then, I don't think I even knew Reading had a football team, but I noticed them on the football pools coupon, and also noticed they were not very good that year.

Coverage of Reading was more of less zero, and then the suddenly became back page news with the proposed Thames Valley Royals takeover, which was a very big story. I think Morecambe & Wise even made a joke about it on TV. It gave me a first bit of interest in Reading.

I followed the club's results the following year, when they went up from Division 4, but again, it was hard to follow them in any meaningful way.

I'd been curious, and fancied going to a game, but I had no idea where the ground was. The only map of Reading I had didn't show anything beyond the town centre, but early in 1986 my brother got called up for jury service, and had to go to the courts down Tilehurst Road. His letter came with a map, and that map showed the ground.

I went to to next game, a 2-0 win v Newport County, and was surprised at home much I enjoyed it. I went to the remainder of the games that season.

The following year I was working, and it just happened that Reading and Spurs were at home on alternate weekends, so I watched both teams. I did similar for the next year or two, but started favouring Reading if there were clashes.

Reading games also started to mean more to me, and I started going away with Reading frequently, and Spurs just sort of drifted away. I think I knew the game was up when I went to see Spurs v Middlesbrough in 1989. Spurs won 3-2, scored two goals in the last four minutes or so, but rather than being delighted, I just felt sorry for Trevor Senior who was at Middlesbrough at the time.

tl;dr version - supported Spurs as kid, but switched to Reading slowly over about four years in the mid 80s

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Dec 2016 22:03

What a fascinating read.

I'm a firmly lapsed Reading supporter. I was a regular between 1989 and 2009, and had a season ticket from 1992 to 2009, But I've only been to a handful of games since 2010. In that time, now living in Gloucestershire, I've probably been to over 100 Cheltenham games including following them away,

I have developed a real affection for the Robins, while my affection for Reading is waning. If they ever played each other I genuinely don't know where my allegiance would lie. There's a good chance I'd find myself in the away end of the Madejski. Something I never, ever thought could happen.

Hup Holland Hup

by Hup Holland Hup » 22 Dec 2016 08:30

I'm just a footballing slut. I've supported Fortuna Sittard in the Netherlands since the age of 6 and go to all home games and about 50% of the aways. My first affair started in the early 80's when I moved to Reading. Was persuaded by friends to visit Elm Park and although it wasn't love at first sight, my affection for RFC grew over the next 10 years.

Clearly still follow them from afar and used to travel back on a fairly regular basis to see them play. I guess, up until 3 years ago, I'd see about 3 or 4 home games a season. However, someone new has entered my life. My other passion (collecting football pin badges :oops: ) led me to visit "the Crabble" on one of my journeys to the UK. I'm ashamed to say that I enjoyed the game and have subsequently watched Dover a dozen times over the last 3 years. I feel so dirty

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Dec 2016 09:35

When I was younger I supported Man Utd, think it came down to no one pressuring me to support a club and United being the team winning everything, which was good enough for my simple mind.

Then my Dad takes me to see Reading vs Brighton in 2002 in our joint promotion season, Brighton had what would have been a late winner chalked off, for offside I believe.

It wasn't a great game but when my dad asked if I wanted a season ticket for the following season I went along with it and eventually I realised it was much more fun to see a game live than to watch on TV which pretty instantly wiped out the support I had for United. Still keep somewhat of a preference for them in the title race.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2016 17:40

Hup Holland Hup I'm just a footballing slut. I've supported Fortuna Sittard in the Netherlands since the age of 6 and go to all home games and about 50% of the aways. My first affair started in the early 80's when I moved to Reading. Was persuaded by friends to visit Elm Park and although it wasn't love at first sight, my affection for RFC grew over the next 10 years.

Clearly still follow them from afar and used to travel back on a fairly regular basis to see them play. I guess, up until 3 years ago, I'd see about 3 or 4 home games a season. However, someone new has entered my life. My other passion (collecting football pin badges :oops: ) led me to visit "the Crabble" on one of my journeys to the UK. I'm ashamed to say that I enjoyed the game and have subsequently watched Dover a dozen times over the last 3 years. I feel so dirty
dover were my first team having grown up there. Used to go to pretty much every home game. Allegiance started to switch when I came to uni in Reading in 88

Hup Holland Hup

by Hup Holland Hup » 23 Dec 2016 07:46

3points
Hup Holland Hup I'm just a footballing slut. I've supported Fortuna Sittard in the Netherlands since the age of 6 and go to all home games and about 50% of the aways. My first affair started in the early 80's when I moved to Reading. Was persuaded by friends to visit Elm Park and although it wasn't love at first sight, my affection for RFC grew over the next 10 years.

dover were my first team having grown up there. Used to go to pretty much every home game. Allegiance started to switch when I came to uni in Reading in 88

Big game on boxing day against Maidstone

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2016 18:56

Pepe the Horseman Enjoyed that.

Spin off :arrow:

Anyone else switched allegiances? I was a Spurs fan until I was 11. Not sure that counts though.

I flip flopped through 'liking' a few clubs as kid (I didn't even realise Reading had a team at that point), before I started following Reading on Final Score in the McGhee years. Spurs and Liverpool were two of the more prominent likes... but that was as much based on who's kit I liked more than anything.

Once I went to a Reading match that was it, hooked on them. And we've been doing well enough that I've never had reason to consider stopping until the end of last season when I ditched the ST at the sacking of McDermott. I'm quite enjoying my 'holiday' away from matches at the moment, but I expect I'll pick up a season ticket again next year.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2016 19:47

Ian Royal

Anyone else switched allegiances? I was a Spurs fan until I was 11. Not sure that counts though.

I flip flopped through 'liking' a few clubs as kid (I didn't even realise Reading had a team at that point), before I started following Reading on Final Score in the McGhee years. Spurs and Liverpool were two of the more prominent likes... but that was as much based on who's kit I liked more than anything.

Once I went to a Reading match that was it, hooked on them. And we've been doing well enough that I've never had reason to consider stopping until the end of last season when I ditched the ST at the sacking of McDermott. I'm quite enjoying my 'holiday' away from matches at the moment, but I expect I'll pick up a season ticket again next year.

Do you remember the first game you listened to?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 30 Dec 2016 19:57

Pepe the Horseman
Ian Royal

:lol: :lol: :lol:

shots fired

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2016 20:12

Pepe the Horseman
Ian Royal

:lol: Nope, no idea. It'd have been on Classic Gold with Mike Lewis though. First game I saw on TV was the second leg of the PO Semi against Tranmere. I think my first away game was Oxford in the League Cup in the noughties. First live game Bolton PO Final, first Elm Park was a pre-season friendly against Steaua Bucharest... first competitive game at home... can't remember actually. First game at Mad Stad - Luton, first PL game - Middlesbrough.

siforest65

by siforest65 » 19 Feb 2017 08:55

CrowthorneRoyal Swapped from Forest to Reading when my family moved back to the area when I was a teenager

I've just turned 50 and am considering doing exactly the same :D

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 Feb 2017 12:25

Wonder if Tim's jumped ships back?

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 20 Feb 2017 09:06

siforest65
CrowthorneRoyal Swapped from Forest to Reading when my family moved back to the area when I was a teenager

I've just turned 50 and am considering doing exactly the same :D

I only really supported Forest as I used to hang around with Fred Reachers daughter when she used to come over to Cyprus 5 times a year.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Feb 2017 13:45

genome

Been Reading since I was 4 years old. Hope Kestrel doesn't see this but I was also Liverpool fan until the age of about 8 and absolutely cried my eyes out when Cantona scored in the FA Cup Final '96.

My family has always been Tottenham so I guess they're my second team now, if I have one.

NOTED.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 20 Feb 2017 15:04

Brilliant read.

As a kid, I had individual players as heroes: Denis Law, Jim Baxter, Bobby Charlton, but only seen Reading as collective heroes once I had gone to Elm Park with my uncles for my first match. Never been an inkling of supporting another team. Just never, ever occurred to me.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Feb 2017 15:57

spurs from 8-10

Chelsea from 14-22

Reading since 98

in my defence I was raised by women, so hadn't the foggiest clue about football. it was only when I started going to games that I understood what support was really about.

came quite quickly to the conclusion that if it was Chelsea vs Reading id only ever want reading to win, and at that point further Chelsea "support" was pointless.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Feb 2017 16:03

Maneki Neko

spurs from 8-10

Chelsea from 14-22

Reading since 98

Who did you support between the ages of 22 and 98 - or did you lose interest in the game in those years due to families and all that sort of stuff?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Feb 2017 17:57

Sutekh
Maneki Neko

spurs from 8-10

Chelsea from 14-22

Reading since 98

Who did you support between the ages of 22 and 98 - or did you lose interest in the game in those years due to families and all that sort of stuff?

:lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Feb 2017 17:58

Maneki Neko

spurs from 8-10

Chelsea from 14-22

Reading since 98

in my defence I was raised by women, so hadn't the foggiest clue about football. it was only when I started going to games that I understood what support was really about.

came quite quickly to the conclusion that if it was Chelsea vs Reading id only ever want reading to win, and at that point further Chelsea "support" was pointless.

Come back and support Chelsea.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Feb 2017 18:34

I went to Craven Cottage yesterday btw, in the neutral end (although it was all Spurs), with my Dad who is a big Spurs fan. It was a good laugh, Spurs fans were very noisy