From April 1st OAP`s have to pay on Football buses

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

From April 1st OAP`s have to pay on Football buses

by Royals and Racers » 28 Jan 2017 18:11

If only it was a April fool !!!! what a bummer !!! us OAP`S cannot suddenly find an extra £5 per match. I`m so upset I`m going to write to my MP.

WAZZOCK

Re: From April 1st OAP`s have to pay on Football buses

by WAZZOCK » 28 Jan 2017 19:17

Cool, thanks for the update

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jan 2017 10:41

Obviously I don`t know your physical well being. but an option would be to leave home earlier and use public transport. , granted its quite a walk from and to Basingstoke road.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2017 11:16

Presuming this is not a club policy and is therefore a decision solely made by Reading buses and/or RBC?

Just isn't right at all and something needs to be done about it. Why wouldn't a standard OAP bus pass be valid?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Jan 2017 11:54

Royals and Racers If only it was a April fool !!!! what a bummer !!! us OAP`S cannot suddenly find an extra £5 per match. I`m so upset I`m going to write to my MP.

Is there confirmation of this anywhere?

My folks are STH, over 65 and get the bus to every home game. That'll be an extra £230 a season they'll have to fork out just for the league games.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 29 Jan 2017 13:47

No Fixed Abode
Royals and Racers If only it was a April fool !!!! what a bummer !!! us OAP`S cannot suddenly find an extra £5 per match. I`m so upset I`m going to write to my MP.

My folks are STH, over 65 and get the bus to every home game. That'll be an extra £230 a season they'll have to fork out just for the league games.

Confirmation was on the bus yesterday- they blame Government subsidy cuts- it also said that it`s going to be 9.30 am before passes can be used(mon-fri) starting April 1st. http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/articles ... ry-travel/

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 29 Jan 2017 14:05

windermereROYAL Obviously I don`t know your physical well being. but an option would be to leave home earlier and use public transport. , granted its quite a walk from and to Basingstoke road.

My OP was a bit " tongue-in-cheek" I would rather pay the £5 than mess around with normal buses.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 15:11

Sutekh Presuming this is not a club policy and is therefore a decision solely made by Reading buses and/or RBC?

Just isn't right at all and something needs to be done about it. Why wouldn't a standard OAP bus pass be valid?

Slightly factitious, but it's not a standard bus service.

Agree it's not right, but that's what happens when public service funding gets squeezed by the government.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jan 2017 15:24

....and it's better than the alternative :D

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jan 2017 22:37

No Fixed Abode

Maybe you could help them out with all the money you save from not going to games.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 30 Jan 2017 13:33

Seems like they've been getting their pricing structure all wrong.

£5 for a local bus ride is a total rip off.
Over 65s have been using it for FREE until now? That does seem remarkably generous.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Jan 2017 13:45

Tony Le Mesmer Seems like they've been getting their pricing structure all wrong.

Over 65s have been using it for FREE until now? That does seem remarkably generous.

OAP`S can travel free on buses all weekend - so hardly generous. the £5 is a return fare. Maybe OAP`s might be offered a discount on the full fare but somehow I doubt it.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Jan 2017 13:55

Royals and Racers
Tony Le Mesmer Seems like they've been getting their pricing structure all wrong.

OAP`S can travel free on buses all weekend - so hardly generous. the £5 is a return fare. Maybe OAP`s might be offered a discount on the full fare but somehow I doubt it.

You can also buy online multiple "match-day" tickets, which cover all travel on a match day in the Reading area. On Tuesday nights that means I get travel to town to go to work, travel on the shuttle from town for the match, and then travel back to Calcot afterwards, for a *max of £5. That seems like a decent deal to me

*max because if you load up your card with 10 it works out at 4.75 a matchday and 20 is £4.50.

But all OAP free-fares are paid for by the council, and they are obviously looking for easy cut-backs. They had already restricted it in Calcot so that OAP's couldn't go for free unless they were within the Reading area, rather than West Berks (which meant walking to a bus-stop closer to town for some)

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Jan 2017 11:44

I don't know to be honest. Many OAPs have more disposable cash than young people these days. On what logic should they get free football buses? They don't get free programmes or burgers?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 10:46

CountryRoyal
No Fixed Abode

Maybe you could help them out with all the money you save from not going to games.

You're right. I don't go to Reading games. Seeing as I've got over £130,000 saved up, I don't mind helping them out at all.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 10:50

Elm Park Kid I don't know to be honest. Many OAPs have more disposable cash than young people these days. On what logic should they get free football buses? They don't get free programmes or burgers?

Just seems silly to do this really. If people won't stump up the £5, they can get a bus into town then get a Kennet Island bus, then walk the rest of the way. That's ok if you're mobile enough. Given that Reading buses make so much profit apparently and are 'self funding', you'd think they would just leave it as it is without the excuse of Gov cuts. Pathetic stuff again from RBC.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 10:53

Ian Royal
Sutekh Presuming this is not a club policy and is therefore a decision solely made by Reading buses and/or RBC?

Agree it's not right, but that's what happens when public service funding gets squeezed by the government.

Imagine if there wasn't pointless protests about Trump whipped up by Owen Jones. Would be more money in the coffers to fund getting OAPs to football.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Feb 2017 11:03

No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal

Imagine if there wasn't pointless protests about Trump whipped up by Owen Jones. Would be more money in the coffers to fund getting OAPs to football.

Imagine if Inland Revenue collected the money they should from the fat cats instead of "coming to arrangements". Imagine if megatons of money wasn't wasted on economically suspect vanity projects like HS2. Blah blah blah. How about we stick to the football, and leave the politics for elsewhere?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 15:11

muirinho
No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal Slightly factitious, but it's not a standard bus service.

Imagine if Inland Revenue collected the money they should from the fat cats instead of "coming to arrangements". Imagine if megatons of money wasn't wasted on economically suspect vanity projects like HS2. Blah blah blah. How about we stick to the football, and leave the politics for elsewhere?

Politics is relevant as it's 'forcing' RBC to charge over 65s to get to football on the bus.

Serious question - are disabled people being charged?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Feb 2017 15:16

No Fixed Abode
muirinho
No Fixed Abode

Politics is relevant as it's 'forcing' RBC to charge over 65s to get to football on the bus.

Serious question - are disabled people being charged?

People who can't use standard transport can still use readibus - I don't know if there are any curtailments to that service, but haven't heard of any.

To be fair to RBC (not words I say often), the restrictions are bringing them in-line with their obligations - before that they were going above and beyond what they needed to. West Berks restricted OAP freebies in the summer.

And over 65's can still get to the football on standard services, albeit with a bit of a walk.