From April 1st OAP`s have to pay on Football buses

Pandoras Box

Re: From April 1st OAP`s have to pay on Football buses

by Pandoras Box » 01 Feb 2017 15:20

No.
'There are no proposed changes in Reading to the issue and acceptance of Access Passes for disabled persons’ bus travel which will continue to be valid at any time.'

According to the Reading Buses website.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 16:02

Pandoras Box No.
'There are no proposed changes in Reading to the issue and acceptance of Access Passes for disabled persons’ bus travel which will continue to be valid at any time.'

According to the Reading Buses website.

Some disabled people work, so they should be charged surely?! Some get benefits akin to somebodies pension, so they should be charged too?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Feb 2017 17:37

Depends on the criteria for qualifying. It may be cheaper to give it to all regardless of income, because the cost of administering a better system is disproprotionately high.

It may be based on proof of low income & disability.

Either way, greater minds than yours will have made the decision on what procedure to follow.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 18:19

Ian Royal
Either way, greater minds than yours will have made the decision on what procedure to follow.

:lol:

We're talking about Reading Borough Council here.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Feb 2017 20:20

No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal

We're talking about No Fixed Abode here too. IR's point stands :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Feb 2017 20:43

muirinho
No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal

I've encountered mildew that qualifies, tbf

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 21:08

muirinho
No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal

I'm not sure if this is a rattLOLed on the verge of a meLOLtdown reply. :lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Feb 2017 21:08

Ian Royal
muirinho
No Fixed Abode

I've encountered mildew that qualifies, tbf

Victor Mildew?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2017 16:44

Probably a bit harsh on some of the poorer pensioners for this price change to be implemented during the football season, particularly as the Reading-Buses website states:
fares frozen - again!

For the 5th year in a row, we have once again frozen our football fares. This means you will still pay the same price as when you caught the football bus in the 2010/11 season!

Concessionary passes
With the exception of journeys that start in West Berkshire, concessionary passes are valid on all our football buses. If you get on a football bus within the West Berkshire boundary, due to the changes introduced by West Berkshire Council to their concessionary scheme, you will no longer be able to use a concessionary pass for free travel. You must instead purchase a single fare to the stadium and use your pass for the return journey.
which may have been a factor in the pensioners opting to buy a season ticket in the first place, now they have to find an extra £5 or failing that, just not go and miss out on games they have bought tickets for.

Maybe they will get away with paying an OAP price, similar to the Children's price?

Bargan ticket has to be the F2 Park and Ride group ticket, £5 for up to 4 people versus £3.50 for one adult return. Potential saving of £9 total or £2.25 each of you find 3 other adults to get the bus with.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Feb 2017 08:18

Club doing their bit again - subsidising pensioner STH fares so they are £1 each way for remainder of the season. Not as good as £0, but better than a kick in the teeth

http://mobile.readingfc.co.uk//news/art ... 78785.aspx

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Feb 2017 08:50

muirinho Club doing their bit again - subsidising pensioner STH fares so they are £1 each way for remainder of the season. Not as good as £0, but better than a kick in the teeth

http://mobile.readingfc.co.uk//news/art ... 78785.aspx

Fair play to the club for this. A nice gesture. The highly profitable Reading buses could have at least waited until next season before bringing these costs in.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 17 Feb 2017 10:21

I wonder why the elderly are deemed more in need of this subsidy compared to teenagers.

State pension £119 per week. I wonder how many teens are on that. I suppose the yoof could cycle.

So actually meh.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Feb 2017 10:38

Greatwesternline I wonder why the elderly are deemed more in need of this subsidy compared to teenagers.

:|

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 17 Feb 2017 11:05

genome
Greatwesternline I wonder why the elderly are deemed more in need of this subsidy compared to teenagers.

Seriously! Why? Is it disposable income? Is it respecting your elders? Teenagers still at school have less money than pensioners. I don't accept a blanket old people need to be given more money narative any more than the unemployed or the young.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Feb 2017 11:42

Greatwesternline
genome

Seriously! Why? Is it disposable income? Is it respecting your elders? Teenagers still at school have less money than pensioners. I don't accept a blanket old people need to be given more money narative any more than the unemployed or the young.

It's always a tricky one. IMO OAPs should just get a concession r8 on the football buses if they 'have to charge them, but I believe they're going to be charged full price. That's £115 extra they have to fork out a season and that doesn't include cup games.

One or two people I've spoken to said they'll just not buy a drink before the game at the stadium to offset the price of the bus. So the club will lose out a bit there if a few others do the same. Some won't even renew their season tickets and will just go on a game by game basis.

The other alternative is for many is to get two buses. One into town, then one to Kennet Island/Whitley and walk. Which is ok if you're mobile enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2017 12:02

fully with the sentiment on that its not on OAPS getting subsidies but not children. Especially in these times of over 65s being both generally better off than they were, but also a lot healthier at that age. I didn't realise they did get on free until this announcement.

Good on the club (again) but I'd like to see a reduction in the price of the kids on the buses to be honest - 3 quid each is pretty significant when you are taking 2 or 3 along as I do most weeks.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Feb 2017 12:23

The car parks are pretty damn expensive as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2017 12:37

Hound fully with the sentiment on that its not on OAPS getting subsidies but not children. Especially in these times of over 65s being both generally better off than they were, but also a lot healthier at that age. I didn't realise they did get on free until this announcement.

Good on the club (again) but I'd like to see a reduction in the price of the kids on the buses to be honest - 3 quid each is pretty significant when you are taking 2 or 3 along as I do most weeks.

Considering how much cheaper match tickets are for kids compared to the over 65s I think your case is shaky to say the least !
Consider your transport subsidy to already be built into your massive ticket subsidy....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2017 13:21

well not really. As mentioned its the club which sets the prices on the seats in the ground. I've nothing but praise for how the club run the family side of things. Its the buses that are the issue,

I'm also paying for the kids, whilst I'd expect the OAPS to pay for themselves.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Feb 2017 14:26

Not sure you can complain about children's bus fares when the cost of a ST has never been cheaper