Stewards - "siiiiit down!!!"

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Stewards - "siiiiit down!!!"

by bobby1413 » 05 Mar 2017 12:22

Ah you're one of the "it's an all seater stadium" people. Thanks for your input.

RFCLakers

by RFCLakers » 05 Mar 2017 12:55

bobby1413 Ah you're one of the "it's an all seater stadium" people. Thanks for your input.

Last time I checked it was.....Y25 is becoming a joke with the spotty teenagers eating hotdogs who think they are part of the ICF and men who need to grow up and act their age. When you have small children having to move because some idiots, think they are hard because they can stand up at a football match. I do get the standing up bit when the action dictates it and everyone jumps up, but when you are spoiling the view for those unable to see for the whole game that is wrong. Some stewards are prats as are some fans, but the ones that have been looking after the Y25 this season have been good in my opinion. They need to throw more people out who ignore them, otherwise it undermines their authority. What was all the filming of the stewards all about...was Justin Bieber there!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Mar 2017 12:56

bobby1413 Ah you're one of the "it's an all seater stadium" people. Thanks for your input.

Very observant.

It was a pleasure.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 13:29

Funny how the good old US of A, one of the most litigious nations in the world, seem to think it is both safe and acceptable to stand in all-seater stadia.

And the 'English disease' is no longer an acceptable justification for the over zealous approach by RFC stewards (even if driven on by the equally over-zealous and out of touch RBC/Licensing Authorities). Times have changed and, of course, it is now been clearly established that terraces and standing were not the prime cause of the Hillsborough Disaster.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Mar 2017 13:40

There's a few things about this issue which is relevant I feel:

- right or wrong standing is something that modern fans naturally do, particularly when away. Some home grounds have a culture of it too including certain sections.

- Away fans at Madejski stand

- we are a very well behaved group of supporters. Can't remember last time seeing any real trouble at a home game. Any fights between home fans in recent times? Any flares, objects, homophobic or racist abuse? They barely ever happen. And certainly not at a home game against Barnsley, Wolves, Rotherham, Preston on a standard Tuesday/Saturday game.

- Why are the stewards targeting just the bottom half of Y25. at times the whole Block was stood up.

- the stewards were relentless. It was harassing in nature, constant presence and in between rows, even throughout half time a group of about 6 were arguing with a few supporters. Funnily after half time they didn't get involved at all

I am not one of these hyped up, petulant fans who moan because I'm not allowed to do something. I'm not even in the area effected.

The reason I'm posting is because the whole experience of going to games these days is poor. Having JS whinge about attendances, the PA man screaming about our viciferous support is a kick in the teeth when stewards CONSTANTLY are marching into rows of fans and waving at them to sit down.

All this in the presence of 2000+ standing wolves fans. This had never been an issue before. In fact fans used to often sit when nothing really was happening. The stewards are picking a fight where there really doesn't need to be one.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Mar 2017 13:57

Why is it not possible to shout, sing, screem while sitting down?

Why is standing so important?

Is it becuase so many people have their heads up their arses?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Mar 2017 14:01

Gordons Cumming Why is it not possible to shout, sing, screem while sitting down?

Well my immediate argument is that atmosphere is better.

A block of fans standing will make more noise and generate more atmosphere than a block of seated fans.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Mar 2017 14:23

Nobody deserves to get marched out of the ground by a man in an orange coat for supporting their team. It's absurd.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Mar 2017 14:24

Gordons Cumming Why is it not possible to shout, sing, screem while sitting down?

A choir stands up to sing. That's why.

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 05 Mar 2017 14:27

You're boring arn't you :roll:

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 05 Mar 2017 16:29

Gordons Cumming Okay

Some facts

If you behave sensibly and don't stand up the stewards won't bother you. Simple.
It's an all seater stadium for a reason. Look up your British football history and you'll find out why.
If you want to stand up while watching football go to a ground that has few seats.
Some stewards are idiots as are some of the fans.
Not all stewards are school kids. In fact most aren't.
When the council attend matches the stewards have to up their game. In order to retain their safety certificate the club has to be seen to enforce things, like keeping people seated.

Some people on here need to grow up.

End of lesson.

The fact that nearly every single team across the country has fans who stand all game where stewards let them be shows your argument as invalid. I'm pretty sure those clubs have their safety certificates still. Maybe rather than looking up your 'British football history', you should look around and see what is happening in the present.

This ladies and gents is a prime example of a member from the prawn sandwich w@nk gang.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2017 18:50

Again, take it up with the club, by and large, the stewards are just doing what they have been told to do.

FWIW, it is ludicrous to expect Y26 fans to do as they're told and sit down, whilst just a yard or two away, thousands are stood up unchallenged in the south stand......as is our current policy.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Mar 2017 22:29

madreadingfan
Gordons Cumming Okay

Some facts

If you behave sensibly and don't stand up the stewards won't bother you. Simple.
It's an all seater stadium for a reason. Look up your British football history and you'll find out why.
If you want to stand up while watching football go to a ground that has few seats.
Some stewards are idiots as are some of the fans.
Not all stewards are school kids. In fact most aren't.
When the council attend matches the stewards have to up their game. In order to retain their safety certificate the club has to be seen to enforce things, like keeping people seated.

Some people on here need to grow up.

End of lesson.

The fact that nearly every single team across the country has fans who stand all game where stewards let them be shows your argument as invalid. I'm pretty sure those clubs have their safety certificates still. Maybe rather than looking up your 'British football history', you should look around and see what is happening in the present.

This ladies and gents is a prime example of a member from the prawn sandwich w@nk gang.

Loving the term prawn sandwich - that's so millennium.

So that puts him and many others at the football at least 17 years, when no doubt you were still learning to count!! (And eat jammie square sandwiches)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Mar 2017 22:31

In all seriousness though I just think the Y26 brigade should just keep bursting out the stand up if you love reading, stand up if you love jaap stam, stand up if you love tikka takka football, play a little game... and this will all blow over

biff

by biff » 06 Mar 2017 01:43

"end of lesson". christ :lol: :lol:

The reality is the product stinks. 3rd party security firms and brainless tangos incessantly harassing fans for doing what a vast majority of paying customers want to do/enjoy doing is not conducive to any kind of entertainment.

The whole idea of "all seater" and the constant harking back to "british football history" is such a tired trope, and it wont be long until rail seating is the norm. Celtic are having a whale of a time.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Mar 2017 07:17

paultheroyal
madreadingfan

It's now called "The chicken and avacado salad brigade". I hate them lot. For me, they're in the same category as the Beetroot & Radish on rye bread gang.

AthleticoSpizz Again, take it up with the club, by and large, the stewards are just doing what they have been told to do.

FWIW, it is ludicrous to expect Y26 fans to do as they're told and sit down, whilst just a yard or two away, thousands are stood up unchallenged in the south stand......as is our current policy.

I think I will take your advice AS and email the club this morning. I've only ever done it on one occasion.

To give a lot of credit to RFC when fans have reacted to something they're normally really good at responding to it and changing the thing that's caused the upset.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Mar 2017 07:25

Anyone watch Orlando City vs New York City last night?

What an atmosphere Orlando generated in their new 25.000 capacity soccer specific stadium. The rail seating/safe standing terrace behind the goal was fantastic. That's how a modern football stadium for a club of Readings size and stature should be. Everyone's happy then.

The way the Saturday match day experience is going at Reading nowadays is extremely depressing.

And what about the new boys in the MLS Atlanta Utd.... First top flight game in their 55,000 all seat stadium and it's full to capacity and everyone is standing up. They looked like they'd been established for years. It's hard to believe that it was the first match for that new soccer franchise. The MLS is looking a great league these days. It's in rude health. While we're going backwards. I might see if I can emigrate to Trumps US of A.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Mar 2017 07:38

Funnily enough I was saying to someone the other day about MLS "soccer". There's lots of cringey videos of the fans singing songs and rallying the other supporters, but I was saying that you can laugh all you want but they really do get involved and support the club.

Anyway, GO ROYALS!!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Mar 2017 09:27

bobby1413
paultheroyal
madreadingfan

It's now called "The chicken and avacado salad brigade". I hate them lot. For me, they're in the same category as the Beetroot & Radish on rye bread gang.

AthleticoSpizz Again, take it up with the club, by and large, the stewards are just doing what they have been told to do.

I think I will take your advice AS and email the club this morning. I've only ever done it on one occasion.

To give a lot of credit to RFC when fans have reacted to something they're normally really good at responding to it and changing the thing that's caused the upset.
Top man Bobby.....do us all a favour.

Good luck and keep us posted.....as I'm sure you will :)

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 06 Mar 2017 09:29

sloughroyal123

You're boring arn't you :roll:

Maybe he's old and doesn't fancy standing up for 90 minutes, or maybe he takes a child who can't see anything if everyone stand up.

I'm all for safe standing or designated areas where you can expect the majority to stand but until we have that, standing for 90 minutes isn't fair or those who can't