Stewards - "siiiiit down!!!"

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Stewards - "siiiiit down!!!"

by bobby1413 » 11 Feb 2017 22:40

For the 3rd or 4th game in a row now I've seen stewards in Y25 continually gesture for fans to sit down. This is mainly in the lower sections and at times when the entire block is standing.

I don't want this to be a "well that's the rules" thread but I'm just confused why they've suddenly started harassing fans again.

They did do it years ago but thankfully stopped and I've only just noticed them doing it again.

It is distracting as you just see two stewards on each side of the block going into the row and waving at people to sit down. Seconds later there's a shot or "moment" in the game and people naturally stand up again.

Anyone else noticed this happening more frequently in the past few games

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Stewards - "siiiiit down!!!"

by Nameless » 12 Feb 2017 19:27

Probably been told they have a visit from the licensing authority, or need to get the safety certificate renewed so they are having to abide by the rules again for a bit. Suspect it will all die down soon....

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Feb 2017 12:49

have noticed too but its too far down to annoy me

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 14 Feb 2017 23:23

Saw this a lot today. A guy on the Facebook group "Reading FC 1871" said that he got kicked out and swore at by a steward in Y26 for asking why he was told to sit down. I did also see at least two stewards at the bottom of Y24/25 go over to a guy in the front row and they left with him; and a ball boy was spoken to by the stewards in the same area afterwards; and then some woman went down with the ball boy for a few minutes. I've described it terribly but does anyone have a clue what went on?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 Feb 2017 08:33

IceIceGylfi Saw this a lot today. A guy on the Facebook group "Reading FC 1871" said that he got kicked out and swore at by a steward in Y26 for asking why he was told to sit down. I did also see at least two stewards at the bottom of Y24/25 go over to a guy in the front row and they left with him; and a ball boy was spoken to by the stewards in the same area afterwards; and then some woman went down with the ball boy for a few minutes. I've described it terribly but does anyone have a clue what went on?

Haha that makes no sense!

The guy in Y26 who was kicked out... if he means against Barnsley then I may have seen that.

He's the same guy who nearly got into a fifth with another fan earlier in the season and looks a complete d1ck.

What I saw was steward went over and assumingly said sit down. Guy didn't look aggressive but clearly was asking why. After about 30 seconds steward asked him to go to concourse with him. Guy did. It all looked fairly low key

purleY19

by purleY19 » 15 Feb 2017 10:08

I understand that one is supposed to be seated, what I don't understand is why the stewards are leaving it until the 20th minute (Barnsley) or the 35th minute (Brentford) to actually enforce it, and rudely. The female steward in lower Y26 last night was particularly hostile.

During the Fulham match I questioned one of the stewards why the top of Y25/6 were allowed to stand and we weren't, he said it was a ground regulation that you are able to stand above the concourse levels. Think that may be bullsh*t, surely it's seated everywhere. There's no consistency. Look at most away fans and they'll be stood for the entire match without interference.

It's frustrating as we were creating a good atmosphere for the first time in what felt like years last night, only for it all to be silenced by over zealous and rude stewards.

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 15 Feb 2017 13:12

bobby1413
IceIceGylfi Saw this a lot today. A guy on the Facebook group "Reading FC 1871" said that he got kicked out and swore at by a steward in Y26 for asking why he was told to sit down. I did also see at least two stewards at the bottom of Y24/25 go over to a guy in the front row and they left with him; and a ball boy was spoken to by the stewards in the same area afterwards; and then some woman went down with the ball boy for a few minutes. I've described it terribly but does anyone have a clue what went on?

Haha that makes no sense!

The guy in Y26 who was kicked out... if he means against Barnsley then I may have seen that.

He's the same guy who nearly got into a fifth with another fan earlier in the season and looks a complete d1ck.

What I saw was steward went over and assumingly said sit down. Guy didn't look aggressive but clearly was asking why. After about 30 seconds steward asked him to go to concourse with him. Guy did. It all looked fairly low key

Well I wasn't aware that happened against Barnsley - the Facebook guy was talking about last night's match. Clearly the stewards have been told to raise their game recently because this is becoming more frequent now

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Feb 2017 20:38

The lad looked like an actual real life scrotum tbf though

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 16 Feb 2017 20:52

If this is in relation to Luke Wilton getting thrown out, as reported on get Reading. I'd have thrown the goofy cúnt out myself. Just look at the prick, he needs those teeth knocking out for a start, well done the stewards, Luke Wilton is the kind of cünt we don't need supporting our great club.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 Feb 2017 21:25

Oh my good god... I've just read that article. He claims "the steward took me outside and called me every name under the sun". Yea sure.... :roll:

It's hard to take a 17 year old whining idiot seriously when he's saying things like this and then posting a picture on twitter of the letter he got from RFC - which btw was addressed to his Mum and Dad and says things like "Luke failed to ...".

Ban the little scroat based on that article alone.

double d

by double d » 16 Feb 2017 22:46

What a sad act. At least get banned for swinging at somebody. Fwiw the stewards are nobs, I got banned for standing aswell and haven't even been back since. Killjoy jobsworths

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Feb 2017 22:59

poohs pure If this is in relation to Luke Wilton getting thrown out, as reported on get Reading. I'd have thrown the goofy cúnt out myself. Just look at the prick, he needs those teeth knocking out for a start, well done the stewards, Luke Wilton is the kind of cünt we don't need supporting our great club.

You really taking the piss out of a 17 year old kid and throwing around petty insults? Grow up.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Mar 2017 15:52

I'm here live from the spackerdrome. Stewards are worse than ever today.

From 8th minute and all through half time they've been in the rows of Y25 and at the sides continually gesturing for fans to sit down.

We are a well behaved fan base. Meek and mild at worst yet they seem to treat games recently like it's West Ham vs Millwall and there's a massive risk of violence and disorder.

We struggle with atmosphere and match day experience is in decline.

I've said before this all started about 7-8 games ago. They've just started this whereas before it was more relaxed.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Mar 2017 22:13

Grow up and take it to the club Bobby

I know of at least one steward (my lad) in Y26 today, who totally agrees with you.

Remember, "the stewards" are mainly school kids, just doing what they're told to do by RFC for a massive £8 per hour.

double d

by double d » 04 Mar 2017 22:30

The stewards are why I have boycotted RFC. I got kicked out years ago and kept trying to come back and they kept kicking me out for no reason. All it really is tbh is a bit of banter and football. It's boring without drinking loadsa pints and abusing some people. This is why I go to maidenhead games and lower league football. It's easy to get pissed and abuse people.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Mar 2017 22:33

Excellent example

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Mar 2017 08:58

I've been saying for years atmospheres have declined since they got rid of racist chanting. :roll:

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 05 Mar 2017 09:45

AthleticoSpizz I know of at least one steward (my lad) in Y26 today, who totally agrees with you.

He agrees but still works as a steward? What a oxf*rd jobs worth .

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2017 10:51

K.URZ13
AthleticoSpizz I know of at least one steward (my lad) in Y26 today, who totally agrees with you.

He agrees but still works as a steward? What a oxf*rd jobs worth .
he's also a oxf*rd schoolkid whose parents have encouraged him to go out and earn his own pocket money :|

Take it up with the club big fellah.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Mar 2017 12:09

Okay

Some facts

If you behave sensibly and don't stand up the stewards won't bother you. Simple.
It's an all seater stadium for a reason. Look up your British football history and you'll find out why.
If you want to stand up while watching football go to a ground that has few seats.
Some stewards are idiots as are some of the fans.
Not all stewards are school kids. In fact most aren't.
When the council attend matches the stewards have to up their game. In order to retain their safety certificate the club has to be seen to enforce things, like keeping people seated.

Some people on here need to grow up.

End of lesson.