Car Park Renewals

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Car Park Renewals

by Jackson Corner » 21 Mar 2017 21:51

Health and safety my arse. I am one who usually arrives just in time for KO. I have no problems whatsoever getting to my parking space there is hardly any traffic around the ground and get waved through by the stewards. Are they saying if you arrive at 14:31 you will not be able to use the parking space that you have lready payed paid for? What about the disabled that park by the ground? Will they not be allowed in if they arrive late?

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 22 Mar 2017 08:49

WAZZOCK Here's some advice for people and a different take on things...

The roads around the stadium is an accident waiting to happen in that period just before kick off. Numerous times I have seen near misses, particularly at the north entrance where the zebra crossing is. I can see exactly why these moves are being taken, and I would hazard a guess that these measures have been suggested by an authority who oversee the H&S of various similar venues.

Suggesting that the rise of £50 for a few hundred fans is a revenue generator is laughable given the great lengths the club have made to make watching Reading as affordable as possible. If you're in a car of three people, you'll still be paying less that you did last season. I believe I also read somewhere that there will be an additional 30 spaces available for disabled supporters - it goes without that these are available for free. The reality is, the car park itself was probably underpriced at £8 a pop, given that the park and ride is £7. People won't like it because price rises are never popular, but all they have done here is set a reasonable price after giving supporters a cheaper rate than they ought to have done for almost 20 years.

A word of advice for people, the Greyhound has always got plenty of space. Get your step count up and park in there if you've got such a big issue and don't want to park at the stadium. Alternatively there are plenty of free places to park on the other side of the A33. The Greyhound can also be a 'get out' for people who may arrive late due to traffic. All I'd suggest is give yourself plenty of time and enjoy yourself at either the hotel, Jazz Cafe or the bars outside the East Stand.

Comparing the Allianz Arena above is a ridiculous thing to do. Firstly the Allianz is younger and clearly had significantly more investment into it. Unfortunately due to being one of the first of the new batch of stadiums from the late 90s, a lot of clubs have learnt from our mistakes rather the other way round.

Two points:
1) Disabled spaces are not free. Currently they charge £5 a match. Dont know what the charge is for next year but they are also subject to the 30 minute closure which is the main bone of contention.
2) If everyone who parks in the red car park switches to the Greyhound stadium it will be full by 2pm let alone 2:30.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Mar 2017 09:34

I can understand why they have done it but perhaps not the best way to have acheived it. If they must put down the barriers at 14.30 then perhaps they should look to open the car parks again at 14.55 or even at kick off when pedestrian numbers are low. They won't of course to avoid people arriving and parking up on the road for 25 mins.

When does the cut off even truly take place, say you arrive at the roundabout at the bottom of the hill at 14.20 but due to a queue of cars by the time you get to the entrace it is 14.31 - are you barred from parking or allowed in because you were in the queue in good time?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Mar 2017 09:47

As an aside. It's done on H&S grounds. So when people are running late or stuck in traffic, some are going to driving like plonkers to beat the 14:30 cut off time, which may cause accidents elsewhere....

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 22 Mar 2017 10:19

I've lost count of the number of lives I've saved by not running people over who run across the access roads without noticing if a car is coming. This happens whether I'm there one hour or one minute before KO.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Mar 2017 12:27

WAZZOCK Here's some advice for people and a different take on things...

The roads around the stadium is an accident waiting to happen in that period just before kick off. Numerous times I have seen near misses, particularly at the north entrance where the zebra crossing is. I can see exactly why these moves are being taken, and I would hazard a guess that these measures have been suggested by an authority who oversee the H&S of various similar venues.

Goes with exactly what I've heard. By all accounts the Newcastle match was as bad as its been in years. And after the game there's still a large number of drivers who happily drive away at speed when a large number of pedestrians are walking towards the buses and ignoring the pedestrian crossing.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Mar 2017 16:50

What about the park and ride car park (Is it still there or has that relocated to Mereoak) and hotel customers?

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 22 Mar 2017 19:20

Forbury Lion What about the park and ride car park (Is it still there or has that relocated to Mereoak) and hotel customers?

The p&r is still there but it doesn't operate on match days between 11:45 and 18:00 so will not be affected.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Mar 2017 23:01

This doesn't affect me but if the club are concerned about H&S of fans around the stadium there are two more important things they could do:
- after getting off the bus and walking up the nice wide pavement to the North stand the pavement suddenly ends at the crossing. This means I have to leave the pavement and walk on the road up to the North stand.

- Cars and in particular taxis drive up there and drop off people, there should be dropping off area where pedestrians are on the pavement not on the road.

They need to extend the pavement and stop cars/taxis going up from the lower roundabout. Neither will affect car park access.

Stadium access from the other side is no problem except when you meet a coach unloading. There's no pedestrians on the road to impede car park access.

They could/should enforce better exit restrictions as early leavers do bolt away when pedestrians are in the road.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 23 Mar 2017 17:59

Why not put a zig zag slope where those steps were in the early days?
Pedestrians could use that instead of the road.
If they must have that stupid safety gate as well then move it up nearer the away so pedestrians again could use the ziz zag slope down to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill instead of sending them all the way round the ground and into the road?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Mar 2017 18:53

loyalroyaldaz Why not put a zig zag slope where those steps were in the early days?
Pedestrians could use that instead of the road.
If they must have that stupid safety gate as well then move it up nearer the away so pedestrians again could use the ziz zag slope down to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill instead of sending them all the way round the ground and into the road?

Excellent idea and common sense..........no doubt it won't happen

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Mar 2017 11:42

PieEater - after getting off the bus and walking up the nice wide pavement to the North stand the pavement suddenly ends at the crossing. This means I have to leave the pavement and walk on the road up to the North stand.

Yeah - I always thought that was weird setup. No idea who comes up with these things, you would think someone with experience in pedestrian safety. Clearly not.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 27 Mar 2017 15:20

Apparently, the club are reconsidering the whole 30 minute car park lockdown... :wink:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Mar 2017 16:24

Turns8 Apparently, the club are reconsidering the whole 30 minute car park lockdown... :wink:

Really?
Where'd you hear that?

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 28 Mar 2017 10:48

Just received a letter from club saying that following representations they are not now going ahead with the 30 min closure and are looking at alternative measures to avoid current problems. Well done to Star and others who lobbied and well done RFC for taking a sensible decision.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Mar 2017 11:06

North Somerset Royal Just received a letter from club saying that following representations they are not now going ahead with the 30 min closure and are looking at alternative measures to avoid current problems. Well done to Star and others who lobbied and well done RFC for taking a sensible decision.

Great news, well done everyone who lobbied

Tartanb

by Tartanb » 28 Mar 2017 12:45

Common sense has indeed prevailed. I can now happily reverse my decision not to renew both our 2 season tickets as well as of course our car park permit. Well done RFC for listening.

Delboy

by Delboy » 28 Mar 2017 13:18

Glad I raised this subject on Hon Nob, with STAR and Get Reading. Fan power and common sense worked !

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Mar 2017 14:33

North Somerset Royal Just received a letter from club saying that following representations they are not now going ahead with the 30 min closure and are looking at alternative measures to avoid current problems. Well done to Star and others who lobbied and well done RFC for taking a sensible decision.

Cheers.

We did write a long letter as a consequence of the feedback we received from supporters, explaining the degree of anxiety and anger this measure would cause.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 28 Mar 2017 14:36

Great news!!