Private mini bus travelling

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rob_dawson

Private mini bus travelling

by rob_dawson » 15 Apr 2017 22:27

I've seen tons of clubs and fans do this, including Reading fans.;

I don't want to travel on the STAR coaches as I don't want to be confined by the rules of that and would rather be free to drink and be merrry.

I've seen schemes where fans go on mini buses that are privately rented. I don't have any connections for thsi, but is this an option that someone can link me up with?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Private mini bus travelling

by Nameless » 16 Apr 2017 07:51

Go to a hire company, hire a van, get a dozen mates to chip in..

Be aware that you would be bound by the same rules regarding alcohol as STAR. In theory any alcohol carried on board opens the person who carries it, the person in charge, the driver and the hire firm open to pretty swinging penalties.
You'd theoretically have more freedom on timings, routes etc but again technically you cannot stop for a beer, although you can have a drink with a meal and there are limits to where you can stop.
The law applies to vehicles carrying 9 or more people so nothing to do with whether hire Star the vehicle or you do...

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Apr 2017 13:05

A lot of hassle running a min-bus as Nameless points out, they are bound by the same rules as STAR coaches. I wouldn't be in a rush to do it again having done it a few years back for Bradford in the FA Cup.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Apr 2017 15:34

We got clobbered with a fine outside Goodison in 2007 when the police checked inside the vehicle for cans, I think a tenner each covered it but it's easily avoidable if you clear the vehicle out before you arrive.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 16 Apr 2017 18:18

Having done this a fair few times myself, like others have mentioned, this can be hard work.

Leeds away, 1995, no problems at all. Mini bus was knee deep in beer, yet the local plod were happy to help us park up etc.

Wigan away, play off semi final, plod were a nightmare. Couldn't wait to haul us over. All sorts of grief. Confiscated all alcohol.

Just be aware of the strict rules and regulations these days. Times have changed !!! :(

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 16 Apr 2017 18:44

Go and see alcoholics anonymous!

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 16 Apr 2017 20:20

MR. CYNICAL Go and see alcoholics anonymous!

Great shout. I'll take a mini bus :roll:

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Apr 2017 22:43

rob_dawson I've seen tons of clubs and fans do this, including Reading fans.;

I don't want to travel on the STAR coaches as I don't want to be confined by the rules of that and would rather be free to drink and be merrry.

I've seen schemes where fans go on mini buses that are privately rented. I don't have any connections for thsi, but is this an option that someone can link me up with?

Can't recall ever being sober on a Star coach, if that helps

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Apr 2017 00:56

72 bus
rob_dawson I've seen tons of clubs and fans do this, including Reading fans.;

Can't recall ever being sober on a Star coach, if that helps

You take a hip flask?

Isn't it all families and oldies?

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1