Does Reading FC do enough in/around town

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Does Reading FC do enough in/around town

by bobby1413 » 02 Jun 2017 17:11

I was thinking that apart from the Reading FC bus I can't think of any other examples of Reading FC's presence in town.

E.g. posters, bill boards, those things that hang off the side of lamp posts, club shop (I realise that's probably not feasible, but just saying), maybe an advert on one of the moving screens - like the new one on the broad street mall.

I think it has several benefits:

1) increases awareness
2) increases sales potentially
3) could increase attendances, particularly if it's before a game
4) ties in the club to the community more (tbf I know the club do a lot of community engagement, but I'm talking here about the town itself)

Do you think the club do more or am I over looking things they may already do. Just a thought

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Does Reading FC do enough in/around town

by Nameless » 02 Jun 2017 17:14

Every Reading bus has ads for games /ST on heavy rotation on the destination screens inside the bus.

I agree that having some posters giving details of upcoming games would make sense and not be expensive.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jun 2017 17:19

Nameless Every Reading bus has ads for games /ST on heavy rotation on the destination screens inside the bus.

Oh really? That's good, it seems that the club have a decent business relationship with the bus company

I would say trains but I know that may be a bit pointless on a train going from Penzance to London and there wouldn't be much benefit probably.

Maybe we need a Reading TV channel like what Nottingham, Manchester and London have :wink:

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 02 Jun 2017 19:48

It would be good for there to be a ticket office or club shop in town, perhaps one location which could perform both functions. I doubt it currently stacks up for the club but it might increase awareness.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jun 2017 20:30

Used to massive in and amongst the schools...hunty,karacan,harps,ferdinand etc

Jem's thing for the Avenue School got them a brand new kitted out car for disabled kids a couple or three years ago.

The last couple of years have been quiet in comparison.

This town loves you...time to give a bit back guys

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 Jun 2017 09:22

Schools are great too. You can really groom the kids... into supporting the club or at least attending games.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Jun 2017 15:31

Just make sure the adverts aren't done by whoever is in charge of the twitter feed.

Two official tweets today start " 'That Moment When' last summer asked you to stick by us for the moments of magic. "

What is that even supposed to mean? It reads like one of those Japanese random English words t-shirts.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 04 Jun 2017 15:50

I was in Cologne earlier this year for the carnival and it was amazing the presence the football team has in the town. Agree massively with the OP that more could/should be done

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 04 Jun 2017 20:44

tmesis Just make sure the adverts aren't done by whoever is in charge of the twitter feed.

Two official tweets today start " 'That Moment When' last summer asked you to stick by us for the moments of magic. "

What is that even supposed to mean? It reads like one of those Japanese random English words t-shirts.

It's pretty obvious isn't it? The seasons prior to 16/17 were a bit dire, but stick by us because you never know what's around the corner. Looks like it's been pretty vindicated given the season we just had.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 04 Jun 2017 20:49

It's all very well sitting at a keyboard commenting that more should be done, but do any of you have any idea as to how much town centre advertising costs? As someone who works in that industry, it is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps if they raised the season ticket prices by £100 each we would be able to have a few posters, happy with that?

The relationship with Reading Buses seems to be working well, for instance we have this...

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 04 Jun 2017 22:45

WAZZOCK It's all very well sitting at a keyboard commenting that more should be done, but do any of you have any idea as to how much town centre advertising costs? As someone who works in that industry, it is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps if they raised the season ticket prices by £100 each we would be able to have a few posters, happy with that?

The relationship with Reading Buses seems to be working well, for instance we have this...

It's not about paying for billboards, it's about using the clout of the football club for the good of the town. Drape blue and white ribbons from lamp posts, put a Reading crest on new signs of pubs and newsagents, get shout outs on radio shows, but of course don't pay the going rate for a billboard that would otherwise be sold at the going rate to Samsung! :roll:

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 05 Jun 2017 07:32

Ok, well....

Lamp posts - A council decision I'm sure, and I'm struggling to see what benefit this would do. Most people would probably see it as a Tory promotion

Pubs/newsagents - the club do have relationships with independent pubs in the town, but this wouldn't get signed off on chain pubs

Radio - BBC Berks give a huge amount of airtime to RFC, as do Jack when they can

I'd be very much surprised if all that you (and others) have suggested hasn't been considered by the club. It's a bit unfair to criticise given some of the fantastic schemes they have undertaken in recent times.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Jun 2017 08:21

PistolPete It's not about paying for billboards, it's about using the clout of the football club for the good of the town. Drape blue and white ribbons from lamp posts, put a Reading crest on new signs of pubs and newsagents, get shout outs on radio shows, but of course don't pay the going rate for a billboard that would otherwise be sold at the going rate to Samsung! :roll:

WAZZOCK It's a bit unfair to criticise given some of the fantastic schemes they have undertaken in recent times.

All we're asking is if more could be done. I'm sure they do more than any of us realise or see, but we're asking if it could be improved.

My initial reason was that I can walk around town all day long and not see any trace of the club (Other than the bus). As an example, I went to Brighton about 6 months ago and on the lamposts was quite a lot of flag things with the football logo on.

I think PistolPete has understood my motivation - I just would like to see more spaces utilised by the club.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 05 Jun 2017 09:24

In light of the recent terror attacks do you think Reading FC should visit the local mosques, on the Occy Road, Lower Whitley, the one near Palmer Park and any others to engage with the Muslim community more?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Jun 2017 09:57

WRTTOP, are you just talking commercially, in a direct retail and/or advertising sense?

I've long said that I'd like them to be more involved in the community, but usually get shouted down by some location_royal who tells me they do a couple of primary school visits and an old peoples home gig per season.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jun 2017 10:04

No Fixed Abode In light of the recent terror attacks do you think Reading FC should visit the local mosques, on the Occy Road, Lower Whitley, the one near Palmer Park and any others to engage with the Muslim community more?

The Muslim community is part of the whole community. Therefore if they we're going to do such an initiative they should also equally go into churches and synagogues. Segregating one faith above others would not be cricket IMO.

nice try though kes

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 05 Jun 2017 10:28

WoodleyRoyal
No Fixed Abode In light of the recent terror attacks do you think Reading FC should visit the local mosques, on the Occy Road, Lower Whitley, the one near Palmer Park and any others to engage with the Muslim community more?

The Muslim community is part of the whole community. Therefore if they we're going to do such an initiative they should also equally go into churches and synagogues. Segregating one faith above others would not be cricket IMO.

nice try though kes

I'm not sure what you're getting at here tbh. Given the very large muslim community in Reading you rarely see any at games.

jar95

by jar95 » 05 Jun 2017 10:36

I was in and around The Oracle last weekend before Wembley, and you wouldnt have known the club were a few days away from one of the biggest games in years! Works both ways IMO, thought a few shops would at least have a 'Good Luck Reading' banner in their window etc

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 05 Jun 2017 10:51

Love seeing things like this from the past. Not really the done thing now.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2017 11:13

jar95 I was in and around The Oracle last weekend before Wembley, and you wouldnt have known the club were a few days away from one of the biggest games in years! Works both ways IMO, thought a few shops would at least have a 'Good Luck Reading' banner in their window etc

Totally agree. I remember in the week leading up to Walsall at Cardiff you had blokes in Broad St. selling souvenir tat - I saw none of that this year. Even before Swansea at the station there was a real sense of excitement. I had none of that on Monday. It was tepid as oxf*rd. I've felt better lead ups to league games at the Madejski than that. It was awful.

I think I'll probably only do two or three homes and aways next year, especially given the distances.