Safe standing progress

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Safe standing progress

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2018 14:31

multisync1830
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4746344/Liverpool-fans-vote-majority-favour-safe-standing.html

Liverpool supporters vote by a huge 88 per cent majority in favour of safe standing after 18,000 take part in poll
A total of 17,910 people voted online with the majority favouring use of rail seats
Spirit of Shankly organisation say result was 'a significant step' for safe standing
Liverpool's most influential fan organisation will be in favour of introduction
1989 Hillsborough disaster led to all-seater stadiums in football's top two tiers

The online petition currently has 107,375 signatures, so there should be a dabate upcoming at some point in the next x years

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 03 May 2018 10:38

25 June

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 May 2018 12:48

Hopefully it will be given the consideration it deserves. I can't believe Tracey Crouch and her cronies turned down the previous request just to look into Safe standing/Rail seats. It's like they didn't even look at the evidence from clubs already using it in Germany and more locally, Celtic.

Safe standing doesn't mean a return to surges on the terraces like it was 20+ years ago. Pull your heads out of your overpaid arses MP's!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 May 2018 14:14

Tilehurstsouthbank Safe standing doesn't mean a return to surges on the terraces like it was 20+ years ago.

All this for some half-baked compromise?

It's the AV referendum all over again, isn't it?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2018 14:17

Tilehurstsouthbank Hopefully it will be given the consideration it deserves. I can't believe Tracey Crouch and her cronies turned down the previous request just to look into Safe standing/Rail seats. It's like they didn't even look at the evidence from clubs already using it in Germany and more locally, Celtic.

Safe standing doesn't mean a return to surges on the terraces like it was 20+ years ago. Pull your heads out of your overpaid arses MP's!

As with all these things it'll be what the government says you'll have and stuff whatever the public want or may have voted for,

Democracy :lol:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 May 2018 18:43

Watch any game on TV now and you will see standing.. I mean on the kop nobody ever sits down, if these f*cking idiots can`t see what`s so flaming obvious they must have their heads stuck firmly up their collective arseholes

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2018 21:28

Had confirmation from my local MP that he supports safe standing!

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 04 May 2018 21:36

Snowflake Royal Had confirmation from my local MP that he supports safe standing!

But does he go to many evening games after a 12 hour shift on his feet?
Thought not.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 May 2018 23:15

72 bus
Snowflake Royal Had confirmation from my local MP that he supports safe standing!

Thought not.

What does that have to do with anything?

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 05 May 2018 07:36

For me the main point is Hillsborough.
We haven’t had another catastrophe like it since the change to all seater stadiums.
Why are we considering going backwards?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2018 08:51

Forest Gump For me the main point is Hillsborough.
We haven’t had another catastrophe like it since the change to all seater stadiums.
Why are we considering going backwards?

You're aware that Hillsborough was caused by a badly designed entrance to a stadium that was run down and had no safety certificate, and police incompetence, not standing?

And that with safestanding and modern stadium design a second Hillsborough would be literally impossible?

Right?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 07 May 2018 11:01

muirinho
72 bus

Thought not.

some people have the bizarre idea that allowing safe-standing/terracing means everyone will forced to stand.

One of the the stupid things in all this is that there's absolutely nothing at all, not a single regulation anywhere, that prevents clubs installing safe-standing right now. It really is little more than a barrier in front of a seat*.

All that isn't allowed is to let fans stand in such a section.

* I see no reason at all, if you are going to have a seat there, why you couldn't just have a normal seat like now, rather than one of the metal ones they always show for safe standing.

See these at Kaiserslautern, for example...

For all the excitement about questions being raised, does anyone actually think it'll be any more than one question, and one answer trotting out the official "unconvinced about its use elsewhere, and see no need to change" answer?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 13:10

tmesis
muirinho
72 bus
Thought not.

some people have the bizarre idea that allowing safe-standing/terracing means everyone will forced to stand.

One of the the stupid things in all this is that there's absolutely nothing at all, not a single regulation anywhere, that prevents clubs installing safe-standing right now. It really is little more than a barrier in front of a seat*.

* I see no reason at all, if you are going to have a seat there, why you couldn't just have a normal seat like now, rather than one of the metal ones they always show for safe standing.

For all the excitement about questions being raised, does anyone actually think it'll be any more than one question, and one answer trotting out the official "unconvinced about its use elsewhere, and see no need to change" answer?

It's about mounting sustained pressure until it eventually makes a difference. The change is inevitable if the pressure is sustained given its supported by most fans, and many clubs because there simply isn't a credible argument against it. Whether that's this year, next year, in five years or in ten will depend on who is in power and the general political climate.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 May 2018 13:27

Snowflake Royal
tmesis
muirinho

It's about mounting sustained pressure until it eventually makes a difference. The change is inevitable if the pressure is sustained given its supported by most fans, and many clubs because there simply isn't a credible argument against it. Whether that's this year, next year, in five years or in ten will depend on who is in power and the general political climate.

I agree. At the moment it's all about the fear of a media storm being kicked up by an ignorant right-wing press and having to hear 'Hillsborough' being brought up every time it's discussed. To be frank there's no benefit to the government of pushing ahead with it (other than the begrudging thanks of football fans who probably aren't voting Conservative anyway) and lots of negatives.

Hopefully Labour will add it to their list of reforms they are suggesting for football and it will still be there whenever they next get elected . . . .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 14:19

True, with the exception that if anyone mainstream, particularly a Tory, mentions Hillsborough as a reason not to, they will get absolutely slaughtered in the media.

Nobby Royal

by Nobby Royal » 20 Jul 2018 22:50

Frustrating to think Oxford United will likely have safe standing before we do. In fact their Ox rail system is better than conventional safe standing as you can sit down at half time.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/ox-rails-update/

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 16 May 2019 10:46

I see Wolves are now installing Rail seating, believe Spurs have it in their new stadium, what chances of us bringing it in for the South stand as an experiment?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 16 May 2019 10:53

Don't Panic I see Wolves are now installing Rail seating, believe Spurs have it in their new stadium, what chances of us bringing it in for the South stand as an experiment?

I've been to Spurs' ground twice, different stands, neither had it. Perhaps its something that got abandoned in order to get it completed quicker

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 May 2019 11:06

Spurs and Wolves don't have the rail seating that Shrewsbury installed. They've just put a barrier in front of seats.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 16 May 2019 13:43

Nobby Royal Frustrating to think Oxford United will likely have safe standing before we do. In fact their Ox rail system is better than conventional safe standing as you can sit down at half time.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/ox-rails-update/

Will that be in the stand behind the goal with the car park behind............ohhhh hang on