Re: Parking

by John Smith » 03 Nov 2017 10:07

Marino13 it really gets my goat with
parking signs and their
vagueness. all designed to fleece
the customers out
of more of their hard earned cash.

Absolutely correct.

Are you intentionally writing in some sort of poetic verse? I'm just seeing stanzas with mentions of goats and fleeces...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Nov 2017 13:11

John Smith
parking signs and their
the customers out

Absolutely correct.

Are you intentionally writing in some sort of poetic verse? I'm just seeing stanzas with mentions of goats and fleeces...

I thought the same
Keep reading these posts as though they are poems and then feel a bit disappointed that they are not :(

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Nov 2017 13:46

bcubed
John Smith
parking signs and their
the customers out

Absolutely correct.

I thought the same
Keep reading these posts as though they are poems and then feel a bit disappointed that they are not :(

I've rewritten it to assuage my disappointment :

It really gets my goat
That parking signs are vague
It's all designed to fleece
The people of their wage.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Nov 2017 13:59

Sutekh
bcubed
John Smith Absolutely correct.

I thought the same

It really gets my goat

I prefer the original. Has the feeling of a haiku or something like that. As opposed to a ditty.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 06 Nov 2017 16:45

muirinho
Sutekh
bcubed
I thought the same

It really gets my goat

I prefer the original. Has the feeling of a haiku or something like that. As opposed to a ditty.

Another Pointless watcher?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Nov 2017 19:34

marlowuk
muirinho
Sutekh

It really gets my goat

Occasionally, yes. But I don't see....

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Nov 2017 21:38

muirinho
Sutekh
bcubed
I thought the same

It really gets my goat

It's fine to park here
Between noon and six PM
The fine is instant

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 06 Nov 2017 22:52

bcubed
John Smith
parking signs and their
the customers out

Absolutely correct.

I thought the same

...what do you mean they are not?

The enjambment between the second and third line create a sense of confusion and disorientation for the reader; the rejet mirrors the poetic point the poet is creating, emphasising the extent of the 'vagueness' of the parking signs. The caesura in the middle of the line creates an abrupt break in the cadence, signifying just how much it gets the author's goat and also giving the reader time to reflect upon the magnitude of the situation being described. Marino's use of free verse reflects how this is a topic many laymen can empathise with, as the poem matches patterns of speech and utilises everyday vernacular. The poet also varies line length for effect: 'the customers out' stands alone, highlighting that this is a problem which affects paying customers - not just ordinary members of the public - the most. This is emphasised by the fact that 'customers' is preceded and succeeded by two monosyllabic words, pulling the reader towards the middle of the line. It ends with a colloquialism ('cash'), again grounding the work in everyday life and helping the reader to relate to the struggles of the poet.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Nov 2017 08:54

:)

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 08 Nov 2017 09:36

Haven't got to a game since August, WTF is this holiday inn thing about??? First they up the charge and now they've stopped the guy that looks like Seve Ballesteros taking the money making it a massive pain in the arse? The situation with the parking could genuinely deter me and the old man from going at all any more, seems an absolute shambles.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Nov 2017 10:00

You're clearly not that bothered are you?

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 08 Nov 2017 20:03

muirinho
marlowuk
muirinho

Occasionally, yes. But I don't see....

Every now and then the Pointless questions are delivered in haiku form. It is the only time I have ever heard of that literary form!!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 12:01

Royal Tezza Haven't got to a game since August, WTF is this holiday inn thing about??? First they up the charge and now they've stopped the guy that looks like Seve Ballesteros taking the money making it a massive pain in the arse? The situation with the parking could genuinely deter me and the old man from going at all any more, seems an absolute shambles.

Having driven/parked every season since the stadium opened I have started getting the bus this season. It’s really very good. Quick, simple and while I’m not sure why it is significantly more expensive than the normal buses it is much cheaper than parking.
Obviously I don’t want to see huge numbers switching as there may be no room on the bus by the time it reaches my stop but I am a firm convert and as long as they can find enough buses I think the plan to encourage Those who can to stop driving to games makes a great deal of sense.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Nov 2017 12:43

Nameless
Royal Tezza Haven't got to a game since August, WTF is this holiday inn thing about??? First they up the charge and now they've stopped the guy that looks like Seve Ballesteros taking the money making it a massive pain in the arse? The situation with the parking could genuinely deter me and the old man from going at all any more, seems an absolute shambles.

Having driven/parked every season since the stadium opened I have started getting the bus this season. It’s really very good. Quick, simple and while I’m not sure why it is significantly more expensive than the normal buses it is much cheaper than parking.
Obviously I don’t want to see huge numbers switching as there may be no room on the bus by the time it reaches my stop but I am a firm convert and as long as they can find enough buses I think the plan to encourage Those who can to stop driving to games makes a great deal of sense.

In comparison to normal bus prices, they're actually getting better. £2 return from town to the stadium is a steal. £5 return from the suburbs is more expensive than the £4 normal return to town, but I wouldn't say it is significantly more expensive. Where it does make a difference is group travel. If there's 4 of you who go by car, there's no denying 4 by bus is more expensive

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 Nov 2017 12:58

muirinho
Nameless

In comparison to normal bus prices, they're actually getting better. £2 return from town to the stadium is a steal. £5 return from the suburbs is more expensive than the £4 normal return to town, but I wouldn't say it is significantly more expensive. Where it does make a difference is group travel. If there's 4 of you who go by car, there's no denying 4 by bus is more expensive

But 4 by car to the P&R is still ok. Especially now that you can get a group deal on the Ride element.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 13:12

muirinho
Nameless

No one pays £4 return surely ? I pay £1.80 per trip and that is fare is available to anyone using one of the prepay options. You can’t use the prepay on the football buses though making a premium of £1.40 on the price. They do offer a SimplyMatch smart card which quite ludicrously offers you the chance to include the football buses but you can only buy them for a number of days, not journeys. So a 5 day pass for £25 offers no value whatsoever unless you spend your life making bus journeys...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Nov 2017 13:19

Nameless
muirinho
Nameless

No one pays £4 return surely ? I pay £1.80 per trip and that is fare is available to anyone using one of the prepay options. You can’t use the prepay on the football buses though making a premium of £1.40 on the price. They do offer a SimplyMatch smart card which quite ludicrously offers you the chance to include the football buses but you can only buy them for a number of days, not journeys. So a 5 day pass for £25 offers no value whatsoever unless you spend your life making bus journeys...

But the 20 day one I got gives me a matchday price of £4.50. I was comparing non pre-pay for both options. But if you're doing pre-pay, you should be comparing £3.60 (or £4 for a day pass) with £4.50. A 10-day pass works out at £4.75 a throw.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 13:25

IT’s impossible to work out what a 10 day pass works out at. Some weeks we might squeeze 3 home games In 10 days other times we might just have 1.
In any given 10 spell I might work 6 days in town or 8. Or I might get a lift to work and bus back one day. The time limited cards are aimed at maximising bus company revenue not saving passengers money.
If you buy a 10 trip card you get full value because you don’t have to pack the journeys in a restricted time, but you can’t use those for football.

The whole subject of bus and train fares and the options involved is a fascinating one and surely worthy of a thread of it’s own, if not a separate discussion group.....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Nov 2017 13:33

Nameless IT’s impossible to work out what a 10 day pass works out at. Some weeks we might squeeze 3 home games In 10 days other times we might just have 1.
In any given 10 spell I might work 6 days in town or 8. Or I might get a lift to work and bus back one day. The time limited cards are aimed at maximising bus company revenue not saving passengers money.
If you buy a 10 trip card you get full value because you don’t have to pack the journeys in a restricted time, but you can’t use those for football.

The whole subject of bus and train fares and the options involved is a fascinating one and surely worthy of a thread of it’s own, if not a separate discussion group.....

No, that's not how it works. I have a pass which I just use for football. The 20 days means I use that card 20 times over the course of a season, any day there's a football match. Each of those days costs me £4.50 which covers the football bus, and any other bus I care to take.

There is no time limit on when you can use the 20 days.