Stop explicit language in the ground...

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Stop explicit language in the ground...

by bobby1413 » 28 Aug 2017 19:11

Article by Russell Kempson which is just a mish mash of information, views and the sort of comments and observations you'd get from a rugby fan who has just been to their first game.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport ... c-13531219

He states

But when that "unity" spills over into F & C ranting, especially with women and children around, it’s just totally Jurassic.

Perhaps there is a perverse satisfaction to be gained from such pathetic macho posturing in front of mostly ineffective stewards away from the long arm of the real law. Who really knows?

And how vocally brave would those Reading fans have been had Millwall’s travelling contingent – just 471 - been similar in size to that of Aston Villa’s 3,935 for the Championship clash with Royals the previous week?

It was seen and heard at the King Power Stadium recently, when some low-life fans of Leicester City resorted to homophobic abuse during their 2-0 Premier League win over Brighton & Hove Albion.

For no other reason than the town of Brighton has a large lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

The whole article just seems pointless really. I mean it's like going to a pub on a Saturday night in town and afterwards saying "Oh my god, 99% of the people there had a great time, but is there any need for those few guys to get so drunk and start being disruptive".

Not even that, it's barely even on the register of being noteworthy. It's not like any of us have ever left a game recently and thought "good game (lol) but the crowd were really sweary for no reason". :roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Stop explicit language in the ground...

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2017 19:19

Fcuk that pcunt. If you don't like swearing go to the family section.

This standard uptight, self-entitled bullshit modern world where unfortunately everyone has been lead to believe they are important and that their opinion matters.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2017 19:26

WHat is wrong with Kempson ?
He's a football man, been around as a football journo for donkey's years and learned his trade with Reading.
These days he seems to just be a bit of a miserable so and so writing stuff which tries to be a bit 'controversial' while just sounding out of touch.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2017 19:32

Nameless WHat is wrong with Kempson ?
He's a football man, been around as a football journo for donkey's years and learned his trade with Reading.
These days he seems to just be a bit of a miserable so and so writing stuff which tries to be a bit 'controversial' while just sounding out of touch.

Nothing specifically my initial sentence was more of a piss-take (Fs and Cs). Don't read any GR stuff anymore, but tbh an article saying you don't like swearing is a little soppy and naiive.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 Aug 2017 19:35

The ridiculous thing is that the article is basically void of any content. It's just words about nothing.

He's not actually got any point either. I'd understand it if it was say racist chanting which had become an issue.

The funny thing is he says:

"This chanting is in front of woman and children".

Ironic that his article is calling some fans "Jurassic" when his own words are Jurassic. The poor woman being surrounded by boys and men swearing, someone really needs to protect the little ladies who are with the kids whilst the men enjoy their beer and football.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2017 19:47

bobby1413 The ridiculous thing is that the article is basically void of any content. It's just words about nothing.

He's not actually got any point either. I'd understand it if it was say racist chanting which had become an issue.

The funny thing is he says:

"This chanting is in front of woman and children".

Ironic that his article is calling some fans "Jurassic" when his own words are Jurassic. The poor woman being surrounded by boys and men swearing, someone really needs to protect the little ladies who are with the kids whilst the men enjoy their beer and football.

So true. Such an archaic belief. I know girls that would put most blokes to shame with the vile shit that comes out of their mouths when they're angry.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Aug 2017 20:24

Kempston used to be a decent local hack back in the day but since he's returned his articles have been dreadful. It's almost as if someone has taken pity on him and given him a column to keep him off the streets despite knowing he's not up to it anymore.

The bits about Hull and Leonid Slutsky were more interesting but not as interesting as the fact that Slutsky's own playing career was ended at 19 by a serious knee injury sustained falling out of a tree whilst trying to rescue a cat.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2017 08:47

CountryRoyal
Nameless WHat is wrong with Kempson ?

Nothing specifically my initial sentence was more of a piss-take (Fs and Cs). Don't read any GR stuff anymore, but tbh an article saying you don't like swearing is a little soppy and naiive.

We may have been at cross purposes here !
When I asked what was wrong with him that was aimed at him, not querying why you thought he was poor ....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Aug 2017 10:39

I like a good swear however as with everyday life, I wouldn't stand up in a cinema and start calling the projectionist a cnut.

I take my kids to football and tbh there's always been swearing - it's what it is, however it's the extremely agressive stuff that fcuks me off.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Aug 2017 12:19

leon I like a good swear however as with everyday life, I wouldn't stand up in a cinema and start calling the projectionist a cnut.

I take my kids to football and tbh there's always been swearing - it's what it is, however it's the extremely agressive stuff that fcuks me off.

See the extremely aggressive stuff is what I enjoy most. It's basically the only reason I go to football.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Aug 2017 12:30

Jagermesiter1871
leon I like a good swear however as with everyday life, I wouldn't stand up in a cinema and start calling the projectionist a cnut.

See the extremely aggressive stuff is what I enjoy most. It's basically the only reason I go to football.

And that's the reason I frequent the ED stand.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2017 12:36

Title doesn't make much sense either. Does that mean they're happy for you to have an ambiguous "rant"?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Aug 2017 13:22

I also noticed that the majority of Kempson's articles start with the headline of "Why..."

"Why there's no reason for Reading FC fans to panic just yet"
"Why Aston Villa were crazy to sign John Terry after Chelsea release"
"Why Huddersfield's promising pre-season may be shortlived"
"Why Tariqe Fosu's sparkling Reading FC debut was just an illusion"
"Why John Swift's double penalty pain must not hinder progress of the Reading FC star"
"Why Leeds United are unlikely to be going Dutch this summer"
"Why Millwall's "marauding morons" and John Terry's stage-managed substitution went too far"
"Why I can't face another Reading FC play-off final"

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Aug 2017 13:52

bobby1413 I also noticed that the majority of Kempson's articles start with the headline of "Why..."

"Why there's no reason for Reading FC fans to panic just yet"
"Why Aston Villa were crazy to sign John Terry after Chelsea release"
"Why Huddersfield's promising pre-season may be shortlived"
"Why Tariqe Fosu's sparkling Reading FC debut was just an illusion"
"Why John Swift's double penalty pain must not hinder progress of the Reading FC star"
"Why Leeds United are unlikely to be going Dutch this summer"
"Why Millwall's "marauding morons" and John Terry's stage-managed substitution went too far"
"Why I can't face another Reading FC play-off final"

Where are the companion pieces?

"Why is this idiot still given the time of day?"
"Why was he so oxf*rd miserable during one of our best seasons in recent years?"
"Why if he hates ReadingFC so much, does he claim that he is a fan?"
"Why does he even watch football any more?"

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 29 Aug 2017 14:25

It's always a dilemma with football. Football has come a long way in the last 20 years in eradicating racist, homophobic and sexist chanting. I can see his perspective on it. Just because you're at a football match doesn't give you licence to act in a manner you wouldn't normally in a public place. However, I'd say most people shout obscenities from time to time.

Are we going to get to a stage where people are thrown out for persistent foul and abusive language? And what is too much foul and abusive language? It's just too much interpretation involved for me on this subject whereas, racist, homophobic and sexist chanting isn't.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Aug 2017 14:34

Jim Royal It's always a dilemma with football. Football has come a long way in the last 20 years in eradicating racist, homophobic and sexist chanting. I can see his perspective on it. Just because you're at a football match doesn't give you licence to act in a manner you wouldn't normally in a public place. However, I'd say most people shout obscenities from time to time.

Are we going to get to a stage where people are thrown out for persistent foul and abusive language? And what is too much foul and abusive language? It's just too much interpretation involved for me on this subject whereas, racist, homophobic and sexist chanting isn't.

I think that's spot on, it's overly analysed and it couldn't be more indicative of an article being published just for the sake of it. He's apparently been a long standing Reading Fan and wrote in the Times for 13 years about Football.

All of that and he comes up with "Fans swear a lot... it's not very nice... oh and other fans were making fun of Brighton due to their links with LGBT"

Seriously? There are not enough :| :| :| in the world for it.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Aug 2017 14:54

A friend of mine took his very young daughter to a match at Elm Park. She asked him: "Dad, what's a wakner?"

Hi reply was priceless "That referee, darling!!"

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Aug 2017 15:44

Hampshire Royal A friend of mine took his very young daughter to a match at Elm Park. She asked him: "Dad, what's a wakner?"

Haha, brilliant reply! I'm sure your friends daughter has not been too traumatised by the whole horrible brutally terrifying experience

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2017 15:55

I don't know what the deal is with Kempson. His articles are the most miserable dour reads around. We could win a game 5-0 and he would whinge that Mannone was bored

The fact most of his stuff doesnt make any sense doesn't help.

In terms of this article, I don't take my kids to away games, and sit in the ED (where I can only remember once hearing some old duffer F'ing and blinding), as I don't generally want to expose them to too much bad language. Dour Kempson would be better spending his time praising the club for the generally exemplary behaviour in the ED

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2017 20:18

Hampshire Royal A friend of mine took his very young daughter to a match at Elm Park. She asked him: "Dad, what's a wakner?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: