Stop explicit language in the ground...

The Reverend

Re: Stop explicit language in the ground...

by The Reverend » 30 Aug 2017 09:07

I clicked on Kempson's article when I read the headline

Opinion: There is no need for Reading FC fans to cross the line and turn chanting into explicit ranting

thinking that he might have been raising a valid point about the persistant, infantile efforts by some of our spotty yoof to start a Harry Redknapp is a paedo chant at Birmingham. That was just embarrassing.

Having read it, and most of it was not about Reading at all, Russell can fcuk off

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Aug 2017 12:05

If someone wants to write an article on bad behaviour of football fans then they probably shouldn't use Reading fans as an example

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 Aug 2017 10:25

John Smith If someone wants to write an article on bad behaviour of football fans then they probably shouldn't use Reading fans as an example

Completely agree m8, we are one of the most feared and poorly behaved of all football firms, so it paints a bad picture for everyone.

Use someone with a more family-friendly reputation like Millwall or Leeds

double d

by double d » 01 Sep 2017 06:51

This is the snowflake world we live in

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Sep 2017 07:38

It’s an opportunity to watch a game, meet your mates, have a beer or three and a burger, let off steam, support your side or have a bit of a moan and groan.

Before you go back to the humdrum 9-5 Monday to Friday …

And what happens when you meet your mates, have a beer or three and a burger, have a bit of a moan and groan before you go back to the humdrum 9-5 Monday to Friday?

You tend to not act how you would during the humdrum 9-5, which might include a bit of swearing and piss taking.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 Sep 2017 09:51

I've no problem with a bit of aggressive swearing and calling the referee a w*nker.

The homophobic stuff needs to be as unacceptable as racist chants though.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2017 11:34

bobby1413 Article by Russell Kempson which is just a mish mash of information, views and the sort of comments and observations you'd get from a rugby fan who has just been to their first game.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport ... c-13531219

He states

But when that "unity" spills over into F & C ranting, especially with women and children around, it’s just totally Jurassic.

Perhaps there is a perverse satisfaction to be gained from such pathetic macho posturing in front of mostly ineffective stewards away from the long arm of the real law. Who really knows?

And how vocally brave would those Reading fans have been had Millwall’s travelling contingent – just 471 - been similar in size to that of Aston Villa’s 3,935 for the Championship clash with Royals the previous week?

It was seen and heard at the King Power Stadium recently, when some low-life fans of Leicester City resorted to homophobic abuse during their 2-0 Premier League win over Brighton & Hove Albion.

For no other reason than the town of Brighton has a large lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

The whole article just seems pointless really. I mean it's like going to a pub on a Saturday night in town and afterwards saying "Oh my god, 99% of the people there had a great time, but is there any need for those few guys to get so drunk and start being disruptive".

Not even that, it's barely even on the register of being noteworthy. It's not like any of us have ever left a game recently and thought "good game (lol) but the crowd were really sweary for no reason". :roll:

totally agreed

theres a family section in the north and a quiet section for chin stroking in the west stand.
anyone who sits near y25 and then complains about the swearing is a oxf*rd oxf*rd

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Sep 2017 20:13

Maneki Neko theres a family section in the north and a quiet section for chin stroking in the west stand.
anyone who sits near y25 and then complains about the swearing is a oxf*rd oxf*rd

I don't know. There's a young chubby ginger-haired lad towards the top of Y25 who says a certain four letter word beginning with C so often that it makes you think he's an especially unimaginative tourettes sufferer.

I don't mind swearing as such, but I wish he'd shut up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2017 08:25

tmesis
Maneki Neko theres a family section in the north and a quiet section for chin stroking in the west stand.

I don't know. There's a young chubby ginger-haired lad towards the top of Y25 who says a certain four letter word beginning with C so often that it makes you think he's an especially unimaginative tourettes sufferer.

that chap does need to sort himself out. Seen him at away games as well. Really no need

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2017 08:30

notice Kempson's new article is equally as un-thought provoking and pointless. Whinging about the 'undisclosed fees'

Do fans really give that much of a to$$ in the slightest? We know pretty much what the figures were anyway

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Sep 2017 09:38

Maneki Neko totally agreed

theres a family section in the north and a quiet section for chin stroking in the west stand.

This should have been the 2nd comment in this thread and then it should have been closed. There's no need to make 2 pages out of this non-story.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 04 Sep 2017 09:39

Hound
tmesis

that chap does need to sort himself out. Seen him at away games as well. Really no need

yeah he is honestly an absolute embarrassment don't know who he thinks he is

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Sep 2017 10:16

Is it Ginger Roy?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Sep 2017 10:51

I can see both sides to this argument but at the same time I think Russell Kempson on his recent history of articles is being a bit of a drama queen.

That said there are some people who can't seem to say a few words without them being accompanied by some sort of profanity, at a certain point it just seems unnecessary.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Sep 2017 13:28

John Smith
Maneki Neko totally agreed

This should have been the 2nd comment in this thread and then it should have been closed. There's no need to make 2 pages out of this non-story.

I sit in the ED family section - no-one minds all my swearing at all :D

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Sep 2017 14:39

From Despair To Where? The bits about Hull and Leonid Slutsky were more interesting but not as interesting as the fact that Slutsky's own playing career was ended at 19 by a serious knee injury sustained falling out of a tree whilst trying to rescue a cat.
What happened to the cat?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Sep 2017 18:36

genome Is it Ginger Roy?

No. It's young lad, about 18 or so.

Ginger Roy must be about 40 now. I used to know him years back, friend of a friend, when he worked at the 3Bs at town hall. I remember him having to compare a quiz night once as the guy who used to do it had to work the bar. He got very flustered, and was pleading " Craig! Craig! I don't know how to do the questions like you do them" down the microphone.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Sep 2017 21:00

Hound
tmesis

I would imagine when 33% of the words he hears regularly when being addressed by others.. You ginger c, it has probably not helped his stunted vocabulary.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Sep 2017 08:58

Article is ridiculous particularly as the club put in excellent steps to prevent isolated bad language.

The text service they offer to report unruly fans, abusive language etc is an excellent facility and for many parents with kids will come in very handy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Sep 2017 10:15

actually agreed with a Kempson article, which is a first. Not the bad language one, but the one about Liam Kelly and ROI

Watched them last night and they were crying out for someone like him. Big mistake not picking him, at least in the squad