PA Announcer

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

PA Announcer

by Forbury Lion » 04 Oct 2017 15:52

How long has the old PA announcer been back announcing games?

He was definitely there on Saturday for the Norwich game, A big improvement, less fake enthusiasm and annoying phrases like "Under the stewardship of".

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: PA Announcer

by genome » 06 Oct 2017 09:57

?

I thought it was still DJ Megaparty. But, I wasn't really paying attention, I've learned to tune him out now

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 09:59

I thought he was worse than usual, and yes it was DJ Mega Party.

In fact on the BFTG thread I mentioned that he'd gone back to being a tw@t again

All this: "whether you sit in the west stand... or the ED stand... or the East stand, we need your support"... and "Well, after a great 45 minutes, the Royals come back to the pitch"... just fck off

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2017 10:04

bobby1413 I thought he was worse than usual, and yes it was DJ Mega Party.

In fact on the BFTG thread I mentioned that he'd gone back to being a tw@t again

All this: "whether you sit in the west stand... or the ED stand... or the East stand, we need your support"... and "Well, after a great 45 minutes, the Royals come back to the pitch"... just fck off

he was never going to tone it down when the tv cameras were there was he?

it is thoroughly cringeworthy

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2017 10:09

He is told what to say. If you listen to the interview he did for the Tilehurst End you will get a bit of a better understanding rather than just throwing out insults.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 06 Oct 2017 13:31

Hound

he was never going to tone it down when the tv cameras were there was he?

it is thoroughly cringeworthy

It's horrible. I find myself doing a Homer Simpson style shudder when he goes off on one....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 13:43

Tilehurstsouthbank It's horrible. I find myself doing a Homer Simpson style shudder when he goes off on one....

Greed... I could really accept it if we had 24000 inside the ground, all roaring in anticipation (like against Fulham in the Semi-Final). But when there's about 11000-12000 Reading Fans sat down for just another game then it's just annoying.

I get that the team needs introducing, that's fine. But all the "We welcome the team back to the hallowed turf ..." like it's some gladitorial, crunch game is just sad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2017 14:29

actually thats fair. I quite liked him before the Fulham game

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Oct 2017 14:30

The "Madejski's legendary atmosphere" is a line that makes me rofl (on the inside)

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 06 Oct 2017 15:10

bobby1413
Tilehurstsouthbank It's horrible. I find myself doing a Homer Simpson style shudder when he goes off on one....

Greed... I could really accept it if we had 24000 inside the ground, all roaring in anticipation (like against Fulham in the Semi-Final). But when there's about 11000-12000 Reading Fans sat down for just another game then it's just annoying.

I get that the team needs introducing, that's fine. But all the "We welcome the team back to the hallowed turf ..." like it's some gladitorial, crunch game is just sad.

It'd probably go down a treat in the U.S, but over here us reserved Brits hate all that shit..

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Oct 2017 15:40

The same PA Announcer that is now regarded one of the best in the business and now second in command to pick up games at Wembley.

The same one?

Is it the same people moaning about him who also moan about Chris Gunter - because that would make sense. You know the awful right back we have who has been voted Wales Player of the Year ahead of Gareth Bale.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Oct 2017 15:52

paultheroyal Wales Player of the Year

Damned by faint praise, I fear

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 17:51

paultheroyal The same PA Announcer that is now regarded one of the best in the business and now second in command to pick up games at Wembley.

The same one?

Is it the same people moaning about him who also moan about Chris Gunter - because that would make sense. You know the awful right back we have who has been voted Wales Player of the Year ahead of Gareth Bale.

I love Chris Gunter but hate the PA man

However, I am willing to conceed that I'm wrong about DJ Mega Party. I just find the whole thing a bit false when they're on about it being the hallowed turf of the Madejski Stadium when it's 13000 people sat watching Barnsley on a Tuesday Night

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Oct 2017 18:47

bobby1413
paultheroyal The same PA Announcer that is now regarded one of the best in the business and now second in command to pick up games at Wembley.

The same one?

I love Chris Gunter but hate the PA man

Me too. It depends who does the regarding! He may be regarded well by the stadia but I still detest him. It is true that he does get all the big gigs, I've heard him on a few televised events - his style is so irritating that he is instantly recognisable.

Little surprise the team is doing so badly when we have a steward managing them :twisted:

'Under the stewardship of Jaap Stam'

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 07 Oct 2017 12:39

genome The "Madejski's legendary atmosphere" is a line that makes me rofl (on the inside)

The atmosphere is legendary. Just not in a good way.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 08 Oct 2017 14:31

It was mentioned above, but conveniently ignored by everyone (why let facts get in the way of a glad moan he?), he was on TTE earlier this year - have a listen

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... ki-stadium

Strange for people to have a go after the Norwich game. The week before at Hull the atmosphere was dreadful, so clearly the announcer and the club wanted to do all they can to ensure that didn't happen again. Lo and behold, a bit more meat on the bones pre match and the atmosphere was significantly better - even with a smaller attendance. Go figure.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Oct 2017 16:27

Tilehurstsouthbank
bobby1413

It'd probably go down a treat in the U.S, but over here us reserved Brits hate all that shit..

It just what he'd been doing down Bracknell Ice Rink for 25 years. Being a sport where the loud playing of music for 100% of the time when the puck isn't in play is the norm there, it was ok. It just doesn't work at football.

I actually went to a Bracknell Bees game many years ago when he wasn't there, and the guy in the DJ booth did it more like a football PA guy, and it was so flat it was awful.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Oct 2017 17:26

WAZZOCK It was mentioned above, but conveniently ignored by everyone (why let facts get in the way of a glad moan he?), he was on TTE earlier this year - have a listen

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... ki-stadium

Just listening now - about 30 minutes in. He sounds like a really nice guy

Edit: Oh it's also interesting hearing how he altered his style and toned it down after realising his style wasn't the norm for football

Marino13

by Marino13 » 12 Oct 2017 12:30

genome The "Madejski's legendary atmosphere" is a line that makes me rofl (on the inside)

i recall in the days when warnock was in charge for sheff utd. he said something along the lines of "it's always a good atmosphere at the mad stad". i concur back then. atmosphere isn't great these days.

East End Lady

by East End Lady » 12 Oct 2017 12:45

It pees me off that they no longer announce the opposing team just before kickoff. Would be nice to show appreciation for former players.

Also wish he would get it right when he does the urzzz bit - holds the U for far too long