Mad Stad atmosphere rated 2nd worst in league

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Mad Stad atmosphere rated 2nd worst in league

by Forbury Lion » 24 Oct 2017 16:11

Old Man Andrews
tee peg The atmosphere reflects what is happening on the pitch. :shock:

It was the same last season and we came 3rd. Your point is invalid.
You're confusing better results with excitement on the pitch. They are not the same thing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2017 16:54

Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews

You're confusing better results with excitement on the pitch. They are not the same thing.

We've barely had any excitement on the pitch since Stam arrived.

Just trying to recall the exciting moments and can only remember the PO game v Fulham (well that was something to be decided on the night so not surprising) and about 20 minutes in the second half v Brentford. There's probably another somewhere but struggling to recall it.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 24 Oct 2017 17:27

bobby1413
genome
tidus_mi2 Who the hell was voted as a worse atmosphere than us?

Surprisingly not Fulham

Edit: Just had a look at the list. They're 5th! :lol: :lol:

All credibility of that list has now gone

The list seems bizarre. Whenever I've been to Sunderland or Middlesbrough the atmosphere has been atrocious, I would say worse than ours, and they're rated 9th and 11th respectively. Cardiff, Bristol and Norwich are all lower and I've experienced brilliant atmospheres over the years.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 24 Oct 2017 18:39

Totally agree, surprised we're not the worst

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Oct 2017 18:46

Sutekh
Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews

Just trying to recall the exciting moments and can only remember the PO game v Fulham (well that was something to be decided on the night so not surprising) and about 20 minutes in the second half v Brentford. There's probably another somewhere but struggling to recall it.

Winning isn't exciting? You'd rather we'd have come 14th but played end to end stuff and coming up short in 5-4 home defeats?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 24 Oct 2017 19:31

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh
Forbury Lion You're confusing better results with excitement on the pitch. They are not the same thing.

Winning isn't exciting? You'd rather we'd have come 14th but played end to end stuff and coming up short in 5-4 home defeats?

Well I, for one, would have preferred that. Still would.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Oct 2017 14:06

West Stand Man
Old Man Andrews
Sutekh

Well I, for one, would have preferred that. Still would.
+1 Me too.

Winning isn't everything if you're paying good money to see the players standing around doing nothing of excitement and then knocking the ball into the net by accident.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 25 Oct 2017 14:36

Jagermesiter1871
bobby1413
genome
Surprisingly not Fulham

Edit: Just had a look at the list. They're 5th! :lol: :lol:

All credibility of that list has now gone

The list seems bizarre. Whenever I've been to Sunderland or Middlesbrough the atmosphere has been atrocious, I would say worse than ours, and they're rated 9th and 11th respectively. Cardiff, Bristol and Norwich are all lower and I've experienced brilliant atmospheres over the years.

i can't speak for boro' but I've always
enjoyed my visits to sunderland. can't recall the atmosphere being that terrible
but the whole matchday experience there was very good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2017 19:44

genome

Definitely think this is true.

Reading fans are generally passive, very reactionary, unlike clubs who create an atmosphere regardless. It's a shame because we can create a good atmosphere. We all saw the Fulham semi, and what Reading fans are capable of when they're motivated.

True, on the plus side we tend to turn against the team slower and less vocally than the likes of Leeds, Forest, Wolves.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2017 19:48

Sutekh
Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews

Bar Blackman briefly learning how to kick a ball and Alfie time, we've barely had any excitement on the pitch since McDermott got us promoted. Excluding last season our home record since that promotion is diabolical... so it's no wonder the fans a struggling.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Oct 2017 19:54

Old Man Andrews

Although the "style" was equally as bad last season - we were just a darn sight luckier last season, that's the only difference - oh and we played with a striker. A 35 year old striker who retires this season. So I feel your comment is actually invalid.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 25 Oct 2017 20:37

strap
Old Man Andrews

Although the "style" was equally as bad last season - we were just a darn sight luckier last season, that's the only difference - oh and we played with a striker. A 35 year old striker who retires this season. So I feel your comment is actually invalid.

I feel like Al Habsi's magic is being underrated. I wouldn't say he single handedly dragged us from being as shit as this year to finishing 3rd, but it's wasn't far off it.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Oct 2017 09:17

Personally I haven't really enjoyed watching Reading since McDermott was fired the first time. I only go to games to catch up with friends.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 26 Oct 2017 11:30

HeinzGuderian As the tilehurst end wrote about a few weeks back, it comes off the back of the club trying everything they can to make it as family orientated as usual and they have alienated a big group of our support

This is quite lazy conclusion to come to in my opinion. Whilst the club put on a wide variety of events and initiatives to cater to children and families, it's not the case that adults have gone completely uncatered for.

They have introduced a reasonably large area for supporters to congregate and have a drink ahead of the match, which also sold an exclusive RFC ale that was created by supporters. In addition, they have also slashed the ticket prices for supporters in their early adult years in a bid to attract a noisier demographic to matches.

I'm sure there are other things that the club have put on that I've missed. I'd also be very interested to hear about any (reasonable) suggestions you have about what the club could do to improves things.

The clubs that have successfully improved their atmosphere have all been as a result of fan initiatives with some assistance from the football club where necessary. Reading fans who moan about the club for restricting the atmosphere need to get their thumbs out their asses and think about what they can do to improve things.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 26 Oct 2017 11:50

Personally, I think we should create a dog section where owners can come with their dogs. Not only do I think this would improve the atmosphere, I also think this will increase attendances.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 26 Oct 2017 12:27

savage 4 england Personally, I think we should create a dog section where owners can come with their dogs. Not only do I think this would improve the atmosphere, I also think this will increase attendances.

LOLOL

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2017 12:59

strap
Old Man Andrews

What a moronic comment. There was no luck in coming 3rd, we were there on merit. You can't luck your way to coming 3rd place in the Championship and reaching a playoff final.

How lucky were we in that penalty shootout? Try to watch the games in future, your points won't be so laughable that way.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Oct 2017 13:01

Gunny Fishcake
savage 4 england Personally, I think we should create a dog section where owners can come with their dogs. Not only do I think this would improve the atmosphere, I also think this will increase attendances.

LOLOL

GIMME AN R
WOOF

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 26 Oct 2017 15:46

Reading never have and never will have a good atmosphere, fans are gimps and either old and grumpy, think there in green street, or just going to get p!ssed with there mates. Mind you id rather be one of those people than one of those sad little weirdos who live and breathe football like Leeds, I always wonder do they not have anything better to do?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Oct 2017 18:17

The Mad Stad is in a dull location, but is it really worse than Bolton? At least our ground is in the same town.

We've had boring football for about four years in a row now. Even last year was dull, despite the good results. The play-off semi showed we can certainly get up for it when we care. We just don't seem to care enough most games.

Atmosphere isn't just about singing. When the crowds are into it, even when there's no singing, you still get a buzz from the crowd, from people talking.

Too often it's just so quiet that you can hear the shouts of the players, and the fans sit there, feeling like an audience rather than a crowd.

There have been many comments about people trying to sing being chucked out and banned, although it's hard to say how many that applies to in reality. For some reason the Y26 singers have never really had the respect the song starters at Elm Park had, and fewer join in.

I don't want to see a drummer though. While they can work, they have to be a pretty good drummer. Just bashing out "boom boom boom" every couple of minutes just pisses people off.