The drummer

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nobby Royal

The drummer

by Nobby Royal » 15 Feb 2018 08:27

Given the general bad feeling among many fans these days I'm surprised the club hasn't done more to replace the drummer.

He didn't always get it right but he always encouraged positive supportive singing which, right now, might help the team a bit and shut the boo boys up.

Y25 have never been great but they seem to have given up singing altogether this season. They are now frequently outsung by the family section and two blokes who punch the panels at the back of the East stand to, at least, get the blue army shout going.

Come on Mr Gourlay. Help us help the team.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The drummer

by muirinho » 15 Feb 2018 11:19

Nobby Royal Given the general bad feeling among many fans these days I'm surprised the club hasn't done more to replace the drummer.

He didn't always get it right but he always encouraged positive supportive singing which, right now, might help the team a bit and shut the boo boys up.

Y25 have never been great but they seem to have given up singing altogether this season. They are now frequently outsung by the family section and two blokes who punch the panels at the back of the East stand to, at least, get the blue army shout going.

Come on Mr Gourlay. Help us help the team.

Are you suggesting they employ one from outside the club?

They asked for a drummer from the fanbase, and got none.

massifheed

by massifheed » 15 Feb 2018 13:19

As someone who's only recently starting coming to matches, what did the drummer used to do? Was it just getting things like the blue army shout going? Or was it a full-on marching band, world cup type of arrangement?

I was watching some YouTube clips of Reading fans from previous seasons, and it seems we're somewhat 'quieter' than we used to be. Is that due to current form, the changing nature of those that come to matches, or something else?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2018 14:01

Does it have to be a drummer. Accordion player anyone (or more likely a concertina as it's Reading) ? Bagpipes? What about a keyboard player?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Feb 2018 14:12

Sutekh Does it have to be a drummer. Accordion player anyone (or more likely a concertina as it's Reading) ? Bagpipes? What about a keyboard player?

What about some light jazz whenever we get a corner?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2018 14:14

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh Does it have to be a drummer. Accordion player anyone (or more likely a concertina as it's Reading) ? Bagpipes? What about a keyboard player?

What about some light jazz whenever we get a corner?

Lincoln still do the old air raid siren for that but then that might wake up the few fans that do go to games. At least jazz would be better to keep that undisturbed.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Feb 2018 14:33

My mate's formed a mariachi band and I suggested it to him. Unfortunately, at the moment they only know Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence but apparently they're working on a Simon & Garfunkel number.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Feb 2018 14:35

From Despair To Where? My mate's formed a mariachi band and I suggested it to him. Unfortunately, at the moment they only know Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence but apparently they're working on a Simon & Garfunkel number.

When can this be used though? Offsides would be nice for a Mariachi band.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2018 17:26

From Despair To Where? My mate's formed a mariachi band and I suggested it to him. Unfortunately, at the moment they only know Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence but apparently they're working on a Simon & Garfunkel number.

Seriously?! Well at least that would be appropriate.

Nobby Royal

by Nobby Royal » 15 Feb 2018 17:43

massifheed As someone who's only recently starting coming to matches, what did the drummer used to do? Was it just getting things like the blue army shout going? Or was it a full-on marching band, world cup type of arrangement?

I was watching some YouTube clips of Reading fans from previous seasons, and it seems we're somewhat 'quieter' than we used to be. Is that due to current form, the changing nature of those that come to matches, or something else?

There was three or four of them but they were pretty much led by one main drummer.

It definitely helped because our singing mob has long been oblivious to the fact no one can hear them.

The effect is that away fans come here in numbers because they outsing us so easily.

The club put something on the website to try to get a new drummer once but under the new owners and chief executive I'm not sure they still want one.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Feb 2018 17:56

Yep

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Feb 2018 09:35

From Despair To Where? Yep

Is that McShane and Ilori after we've just conceded?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Feb 2018 10:13

massifheed As someone who's only recently starting coming to matches, what did the drummer used to do? Was it just getting things like the blue army shout going? Or was it a full-on marching band, world cup type of arrangement?

Hi Kes

russyb

by russyb » 16 Feb 2018 10:35

I would love a bit of Baker Street every time we get a corner... well it would amuse me anyway. :D

massifheed

by massifheed » 16 Feb 2018 10:46

genome

Hi Kes

?

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1