South Stand Singers For Sunderland (H)

278 posts
Theroyalbox

Re: South Stand Singers For Sunderland (H)

by Theroyalbox » 13 Apr 2018 14:04

John Smith wrote:
handbags_harris wrote:Ok, outing myself here. I'm one of the protagonists of this group. Far from the main one, but one of the original half dozen or so who discussed the idea. And I'm in there on Saturday, hopefully with around 150 others. You won't see me in any of the PNE photos because I wasn't there despite wanting to be, instead I'd already booked flights to Munich for that day and was slumming it with the old man.

Let's be brutally honest, people can't be happy with the way things were going at RFC, with crowds displaying less life than a cemetery and performances utterly uninspiring. The half dozen of us who kicked this all off weren't happy so we decided to do something about it. We were sick to the back teeth of turning up, watching football, and going home. We want to offer more, and bearing in mind we all sit in different areas of the ground, we also feel there are many people looking to get behind the team but not feeling able to do so for fear of lack of "backing" from others, so we decided to try to give them somewhere they could potentially do just that.

It has to be stressed that this is entirely fan-led. The club aren't coming up with any of the ideas with this, they're simply supporting in any way they can, and that also means that they are willing to consider only having 2.3k away supporters - their attitude is very much RFC first. The idea was that it grew organically, with the first happenings for PNE not advertised so as to make people talk, we had the publicity we desired first time around and have started to spread the message and now it's time to build a contingent if we can.

We're not daft enough the think everybody's going to love it, particularly with such small numbers to begin with. Even with larger numbers it won't be everybody's cup of tea, that's personal choice and nobody within this group is going to criticise that but whatever happens we'll be doing everything we can to make sure it's here to stay in order to provide a more positive and vibrant atmosphere that other areas of the stadium will hopefully feed off. Yes, that includes Y24/25/26 who haven't done the job for ages now, so it's time to try something different.

Lastly, just a quick word on the "attention-seeking" element. The thing to remember is the group is predominantly youthful, enthusiastic, social media-engaged supporters who didn't necessarily want to sit in the Y25 area but who wanted to get involved. It was always going to take a group who didn't give a f**k because the contingent was so small first time around and yes, I'd agree to an extent it looks a little inadequate, but the larger the group becomes the better and noisier it becomes. All I'd say is support what we're trying to do even if you don't want to get involved. You have to start from somewhere...

It's absolutely terrible. Maybe do it outside the ground for the remaining games this season so we don't have to be embarrassed by you.

A megaphone! Honestly...

Genius.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Apr 2018 14:20

If fans want to sit in the South Stand and sing together, let them - watch the game instead of watching them. If you dislike them for whatever reason, then back the idea because while they're sat in the South Stand they're not sat next to you.

It wasn't that long ago we had Rumblesticks and Clappers, at least this is an optional fan lead thing and not forced upon you.

If the club really want to improve things, Have another Beach Party and give out beer vouchers again for anyone wearing a beach shirt - I'd happily dig my one out again for a free beer, plus beer fuelled fans = better atmosphere. I think the last Beach Party was against Bournemouth and the old Kingsley Royal was still around.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Apr 2018 14:29

Forbury Lion wrote:If fans want to sit in the South Stand and sing together, let them - watch the game instead of watching them. If you dislike them for whatever reason, then back the idea because while they're sat in the South Stand they're not sat next to you.

It wasn't that long ago we had Rumblesticks and Clappers, at least this is an optional fan lead thing and not forced upon you.

If the club really want to improve things, Have another Beach Party and give out beer vouchers again for anyone wearing a beach shirt - I'd happily dig my one out again for a free beer, plus beer fuelled fans = better atmosphere. I think the last Beach Party was against Bournemouth and the old Kingsley Royal was still around.

Surely the answer then would be to reduce the beer prices then, rather than this?

Also, I understand you deleting my thread for whatever reason but if you're going to get busy with the admin rights then at least put them to good use and ban Northern Royal Lad while you're at it!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Apr 2018 14:44

John Smith wrote:
Forbury Lion wrote:If fans want to sit in the South Stand and sing together, let them - watch the game instead of watching them. If you dislike them for whatever reason, then back the idea because while they're sat in the South Stand they're not sat next to you.

Surely the answer then would be to reduce the beer prices then, rather than this?

Also, I understand you deleting my thread for whatever reason but if you're going to get busy with the admin rights then at least put them to good use and ban Northern Royal Lad while you're at it!
I have moderator rights - I can delete garbage but can not cut it off at it's source, I believe hobnob is the only Admin for this site.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 13 Apr 2018 14:55

I still want to know if there's beer in the concourse

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Apr 2018 14:58

Forbury Lion wrote:I have moderator rights - I can delete garbage but can not cut it off at it's source, I believe hobnob is the only Admin for this site.

Shame. How does one get into bed with hobnob then?
The Reverend wrote:I still want to know if there's beer in the concourse

And this ^

Hound
Hob Nob Addict

by Hound » 13 Apr 2018 16:14

I'm even more disappointed I missed the PNE game now. Wish I'd seen this

I don't think its a bad idea though in principle. Anything to improve the atmosphere

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Apr 2018 16:27

John Smith wrote:
Forbury Lion wrote:I have moderator rights - I can delete garbage but can not cut it off at it's source, I believe hobnob is the only Admin for this site.

Shame. How does one get into bed with hobnob then?
The Reverend wrote:I still want to know if there's beer in the concourse

And this ^
The two might be linked - try buying him beers.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Apr 2018 16:56

Holy shit how did I miss this thread. Can we flag all future HNA screaming matches to those who are only active on the Team and AE boards please xxx

LWJ
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by LWJ » 13 Apr 2018 17:32

What's the issue with a megaphone out of interest? If it helps start a chant...

seahawk10
Hob Nob Addict
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 13 Apr 2018 18:07

handbags_harris wrote:Ok, outing myself here. I'm one of the protagonists of this group. Far from the main one, but one of the original half dozen or so who discussed the idea. And I'm in there on Saturday, hopefully with around 150 others. You won't see me in any of the PNE photos because I wasn't there despite wanting to be, instead I'd already booked flights to Munich for that day and was slumming it with the old man.

Let's be brutally honest, people can't be happy with the way things were going at RFC, with crowds displaying less life than a cemetery and performances utterly uninspiring. The half dozen of us who kicked this all off weren't happy so we decided to do something about it. We were sick to the back teeth of turning up, watching football, and going home. We want to offer more, and bearing in mind we all sit in different areas of the ground, we also feel there are many people looking to get behind the team but not feeling able to do so for fear of lack of "backing" from others, so we decided to try to give them somewhere they could potentially do just that.

It has to be stressed that this is entirely fan-led. The club aren't coming up with any of the ideas with this, they're simply supporting in any way they can, and that also means that they are willing to consider only having 2.3k away supporters - their attitude is very much RFC first. The idea was that it grew organically, with the first happenings for PNE not advertised so as to make people talk, we had the publicity we desired first time around and have started to spread the message and now it's time to build a contingent if we can.

We're not daft enough the think everybody's going to love it, particularly with such small numbers to begin with. Even with larger numbers it won't be everybody's cup of tea, that's personal choice and nobody within this group is going to criticise that but whatever happens we'll be doing everything we can to make sure it's here to stay in order to provide a more positive and vibrant atmosphere that other areas of the stadium will hopefully feed off. Yes, that includes Y24/25/26 who haven't done the job for ages now, so it's time to try something different.

Lastly, just a quick word on the "attention-seeking" element. The thing to remember is the group is predominantly youthful, enthusiastic, social media-engaged supporters who didn't necessarily want to sit in the Y25 area but who wanted to get involved. It was always going to take a group who didn't give a f**k because the contingent was so small first time around and yes, I'd agree to an extent it looks a little inadequate, but the larger the group becomes the better and noisier it becomes. All I'd say is support what we're trying to do even if you don't want to get involved. You have to start from somewhere...

Well done Handbags and the rest! I certainly enjoyed the chanting in Y25 when I went over and I would love to stand with this group the next time I visit.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular

by Deadlock » 13 Apr 2018 20:25

Old Man Andrews wrote:6. The guy who is directly organising the South Stand thing called it "The South Bank". I don't think that is something that is acceptable. If you are going to do the South Stand thing then I of course cannot stop you just don't insult the people who stood in 3 feet of piss on the original South Bank.

That wasn't physically possible unless you were to bring a dustbin with you to stand in and allow everyone to piss into. It was 3 inches deep at most in the bogs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2018 12:38

Great job HH... will try to join you for the last home game. :D

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Apr 2018 18:08

Fantastic work by the drummers who returned today in the Eamonn Dolan stand. They made the South Stand massive completely obsolete.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 14 Apr 2018 18:22

Great noise again from the South Stand. Keep it going!

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Apr 2018 18:25

Soul Man wrote:Great noise again from the South Stand. Keep it going!

Nobody heard them. The North Stand drummer completely drowned them out. As it should be too!

They also stopped singing when we went 2-1 down which really is cracking support eh???

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Sorry Jaap, even I now think you have lost the plot.

by RoyalBlue » 14 Apr 2018 18:41

Old Man Andrews wrote:

Nobody heard them. The North Stand drummer completely drowned them out. As it should be too!

They also stopped singing when we went 2-1 down which really is cracking support eh???

But none of this is really true is it?!

Not long ago people were moaning about the drummer. Now they're praising the drummer and knocking the singers in the South Stand! :roll: FFS everyone to their own, we/the team need all of the support they can get. And well done RFC, presumably to Gourlay, who has relaxed the no standing rules in the South Stand so that they are applied to the same standard as for the away supporters.

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Apr 2018 18:43

RoyalBlue wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:

Not long ago people were moaning about the drummer. Now they're praising the drummer and knocking the singers in the South Stand! :roll: FFS everyone to their own, we/the team need all of the support they can get. And well done RFC, presumably to Gourlay, who has relaxed the no standing rules in the South Stand so that they are applied to the same standard as for the away supporters.

They stopped singing when we went behind and the drummer drowned them out? What isn't true about that.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 14 Apr 2018 18:44

Old Man Andrews wrote:

I heard them. Like I said, great noise keep it going - it's just what is needed

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Sorry Jaap, even I now think you have lost the plot.

by RoyalBlue » 14 Apr 2018 19:11

Old Man Andrews wrote:
RoyalBlue wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:Nobody heard them. The North Stand drummer completely drowned them out. As it should be too!

They stopped singing when we went behind and the drummer drowned them out? What isn't true about that.

Both claims? The drummer might have drowned them out if you were nearer the drummer but that's how acoustics tend to work! Anyway why the f*ck are people criticising them? Can't be arsed to trawl back to check but I bet some of those now lauding the drummer and criticising the South Stand singers are the same miserable barstewards who moaned about the drummer when he used to be a regular attendee. :twisted:

278 posts