Greyhound parking

Munster1871

Greyhound parking

by Munster1871 » 17 Jun 2018 09:25

Last season I had a parking permit at the greyhound stadium. However, I received a letter from the club stating that for next season it would no longer be available for match day parking at all.

So heads up those of you who use that regularly!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Greyhound parking

by Green » 20 Jun 2018 15:30

Thanks for the heads up, Munster.

Where do you think you'll park now, what are your options?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2018 17:27

Munster1871 Last season I had a parking permit at the greyhound stadium. However, I received a letter from the club stating that for next season it would no longer be available for match day parking at all.

So heads up those of you who use that regularly!

Well that's a bright move, anyone know why? Are they finally rebuilding Smallmead?

Munster1871

by Munster1871 » 20 Jun 2018 17:59

Green Thanks for the heads up, Munster.

Where do you think you'll park now, what are your options?

Ive been offered parking at the stadium as a permit holder and I assume the other permit holders have been notified aswell but as for those that pay on the day I wouldn’t have a clue I’m afraid

Munster1871

by Munster1871 » 20 Jun 2018 18:03

Sutekh
Well that's a bright move, anyone know why? Are they finally rebuilding Smallmead?

No clue! The letter I got just said “we are unable to secure seasonal parking at the greyhound stadium for next season.”

Would lead me to believe either the land owner have put their rent up or some building work will be happening soon, that being said I drove by there the other day and not a lot seemed to be going on

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Jun 2018 22:07

Build a stadium in a place specifically to allow people to drive to it, then shut every single car park

Awesome work lads

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jun 2018 08:05

No problem - according to Howe bus travel is the way to go, is easy and convenient!

He might have some credibility if he was seen to spend a few games using that mode of transport himself.

Seems the club are doing the utmost to discourage fans who disagree with that sentiment from attending games. :(

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jun 2018 08:33

Oh great.....I dont understand how we cannot secure a long term option for a car park.
Bus travel is not easy and convenient. I agree on the way to the stadium does actually work because there is a stagger of people arriving. But after the game, as there is absolutely nothing to do after the game except go home or go into town, there is just one massive queue. A cold wet tuesday night would discourage a lot of families knowing they would HAVE to wait for a bloody bus.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 21 Jun 2018 08:44

Coppells Lost Coat Oh great.....I dont understand how we cannot secure a long term option for a car park.
Bus travel is not easy and convenient. I agree on the way to the stadium does actually work because there is a stagger of people arriving. But after the game, as there is absolutely nothing to do after the game except go home or go into town, there is just one massive queue. A cold wet tuesday night would discourage a lot of families knowing they would HAVE to wait for a bloody bus.

It might also help if the buses picked up for mid-week games the same time they do for Saturday matches. Mid-week pick-ups are 30 minutes later than Saturday, so is always a rush getting through traffic and often getting into the stadium 10 minutes (or later) before kick-off.
I prefer to have more free time before kick-off so that's why I always drive to mid-week home games - whilst parking in the old greyhound stadium.
If that is no longer available that will mean 700 parking spaces lost. Total chaos every game now - especially when most who park there probably won't even be aware of the closure when they turn up for the first home game of the season.
If someone is finally building on the land then fair enough - but if this is a Club decision then it needs explaining and a possible re-think.
Also with the possible loss of 700 parking spaces if the club want more people to travel by bus then they need to make sure more match-day buses are available. The F21 bus I use is usually rammed on Saturdays anyway - have been known to turn people away the last couple of stops - so perhaps some routes need a second bus?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2018 09:37

Well I presume it is NOT the club's decision to "close" the Greyhound stadium if it is I would suggest some sort of strong protest to the club is in order

Public transport options are a waste of time unless you live in Reading itself and even then they aren't exactly perfect.

Cue even more people trying to park in Whitley and Spencers Wood etc. Next thing you know they'll be out with yellow lines and even more permit holders only signage in all streets anywhere near the place.

The club car park is way too small and the charges for event parking are utterly ridiculous (not to mention that REP will more or less remove that option totally if/when they ever start work).

Only in this country do drivers get treated with this sort of utter contempt by authorities when attending purpose build stadia on the outskirts of towns with "fast" and convenient road routes to and from the place.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 21 Jun 2018 10:19

Sutekh Only in this country do drivers get treated with this sort of utter contempt by authorities when attending purpose build stadia on the outskirts of towns with "fast" and convenient road routes to and from the place.

They do things better abroad klaxon

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2018 11:17

Open up that safety gate too. More so next year with the South Stand option.

TadleyDave

by TadleyDave » 21 Jun 2018 12:42

I use this car park all the time,myself,my wife & daughter are all season ticket holders and we usually pick up my brother in law enroute as he lives in Purley.We live in Tadley and I know there is a bus that comes up from Basingstoke but as my wife & daughter both work for the NHS and therefore do crazy shifts,this closure is going to cause some real problems.

Last resort I suppose is to sell back my season ticket to the club.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2018 15:30

Green
Sutekh Only in this country do drivers get treated with this sort of utter contempt by authorities when attending purpose build stadia on the outskirts of towns with "fast" and convenient road routes to and from the place.

Well if going to football here is anything to go by, hardly any one drives as the stadiums are generally built with excellent regular public transport links. Not an option in Reading at the moment but if they can sort out public transport then less people will drive.

In the meantime, surely a case for more park and rides for any out of town fans (or those that choose to drive).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jun 2018 21:12

Stranded
Green

Well if going to football here is anything to go by, hardly any one drives as the stadiums are generally built with excellent regular public transport links. Not an option in Reading at the moment but if they can sort out public transport then less people will drive.

In the meantime, surely a case for more park and rides for any out of town fans (or those that choose to drive).

I very much doubt there is the bus capacity for that. And, as has already been pointed out, the real challenge is getting thousands of fans away quickly and efficiently after the game. You need an awful of of buses and parking for them, to achieve that.

And yes, they do things better abroad. I thought it was insane when someone suggested I drove into the centre of Atlanta and parked in a parking garage (just $10) less than ten minutes walk from the Mercedes Benz Stadium. To my amazement the drive in was easy. But, I thought, it will be a nightmare when 70,000 football (soccer) fans try to leave all at once after the game. Not at all, they just reversed all of their one way systems and waved the cars out to the interstate and other major routes. Just a couple of short waits and I was away. Yes, it may have caused some inconvenience to other drivers but all of that inconvenience was packed into a short period of time rather than creating gridlock for god knows how long.

With this latest news regarding parking for games, I'm beginning to wonder whether the travel aggro (coming from outside of the area, driving is the only realistic option) outweighs the benefits of committing to a season ticket.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Jun 2018 21:12

paultheroyal Open up that safety gate too. More so next year with the South Stand option.

I'd rather they put the stairs back, albeit a lot wider so they were dangerous.

It is really annoying having to walk all round the stadium and the hotel to get to the Mereoak bus queue.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 21 Jun 2018 21:39

John Madejski's Wallet Build a stadium in a place specifically to allow people to drive to it, then shut every single car park

Awesome work lads

Sexist

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Jun 2018 22:04

Loss of the greyhound parking is a serious blow. Especially for midweek games. When I have to get across after work from London, it's a tight affair time wise. This could mess up my midweek home games. RFC are doing their best to make the Mad Stad as inaccessible as possible. I can't see myself faffing around with buses. I won't have the time.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Jun 2018 06:56

How is the Mereoak Park & Ride? Looks an attractive option but always unsure how many busses run/how often on a matchday?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 Jun 2018 10:28

RoyalBlue And yes, they do things better abroad.

Not sure where I put that klaxon