Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

549 posts
Club 1871
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 Jun 2018 17:47

Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Club 1871 » 05 Jul 2018 21:25

Mods, would be grateful if this could be made a sticky please.

Evening all. Yeah, fcuk off newbie and all that sh*t, seen it all before. Your author is a seasoned Nobber in another life so fcuk off back to you all 8)

Appreciate this is a second thread on seemingly the same thing but it's better we post here in a new thread of our own to enable the masses a single go-to place on the inimitable forum that is Hob Nob Anyone?

You'll all hopefully have seen that RFC have released the south western side of the South Stand to us for season 2018/19 with a view to organically growing what we are trying to do. If you haven't already done so and are interested in moving for the season, season tickets are available at the same price as the Eamo Stand. If you've already renewed in another stand you can move across at any time for no charge, and if you move ST before the season commences you'll get the difference in price refunded. I've done it - simple 2 minute phone call is all it took me.

Also note, it's unreserved seating. Capacity takes a 10% hit but the effect will be better having everyone in the same area of the stand.

We chose the South Stand last season because it was an empty cavernous waste for half of the visiting clubs last season. More importantly though, it was an area of the stadium that we felt we could realistically lever into without displacing and disenfranchising any existing supporters. However, we were acutely aware that because of the layout of the South Stand the slight spanner in our works is the 15% away allocation regulation for both League Cup and FA Cup games. If we draw a club that will fill both sides then we will have to relocate for the match. How that works is undecided, however we average less than one of these matches a season since the move to the Madejski so it was an acceptable compromise.

The Club 1871 Twitter account @Club1871 has been busy over the last couple of days as we're also crowd funding to raise money for decorations. We're looking to get a massive big f**k off flag in there, banners and other bits and bobs to make the area our own. Link is http://www.gofundme.com/Club1871. I would sincerely ask all to donate, even if you aren't heading over. Every penny will be put back into this initiative which we want to grow organically. The response so far has been incredible, at the time of writing this we're just shy of £1k after just a day, when we thought we'd set a ludicrously high target!! The more money we get the more stuff we can get and the better we can make it become more of a home. And if incentive were needed, you can grab some of our tat if you donate enough 8) Between £10 and £19.99 is a Club 1871 pin badge, or if you donate £20 or more then a Club 1871 scarf will be winging its way to you.

Lastly, just t reiterate, what we're about is creating a positive atmosphere at a ground that has descended into toxicity negativity over the last half a dozen years or so. We'll give it verbal hell for leather for the full 90. We're not about arbitrarily chanting a left back who hasn't touched the ball for 10 minutes for 10 seconds and then onto the next chant for the keeper at the other end of the pitch. We want to bring a more continental feel to proceedings with inventive chants going on and on. This doesn't mean we're not interacting with the game, of course we will be. But while we watch we also chant. The test games at the end of last season were far from perfect admittedly, particularly as the group grew in number, but what we do have is an enthusiastic core of likeminded people who want to make this work. And one big thing which proved controversial - WE'RE DITCHING THE MEGAPHONE (edit - personal opinion alert - praise the Lord!) However, the more we get together, the more we finetune what we do and hopefully we introduce some creative and unique chants that all stands can get into. And we need inventiveness. Football fans as a collective can be a judgmental bunch, we want to avoid that and allow people the chance to create and try things without fear of ridicule. Some things may catch, others may not, but there's no harm in trying :)

Signing off for now, and even if you don't want to join us, please support us in whatever way you can. Ultimately a good, positive atmosphere is for the benefit of everyone. This thread will be monitored so feel free to offer critical feedback or massage our egos, our shoulders are broad enough to accept either. Genuine questions will be responded to truthfully and honestly, or DM us of course. Alternatively look for us on Faceache (http://www.facebook.com/club1871) or Twatter (@Club1871) for the latest opinions and initiatives.

User avatar
IRjAy
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 03 Jul 2018 19:26
Location: Southcote, Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by IRjAy » 09 Jul 2018 08:29

Hope we see the South Stand and Y25/Y26 working together this season. It's not one versus the other. If we work with each other then the noise level in the stadium will increase significantly.

User avatar
madreadingfan
Member
Posts: 920
Joined: 20 Jan 2008 00:09
Location: madejski

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by madreadingfan » 09 Jul 2018 10:34

Keep up the good works lads! Thoroughly enjoyed my time in there at the end of last season despite the football on the pitch.

I can only imagine the hard work you've all put in, so don't let any negative fans bring you down and keep it up! This will grow as the season goes on if you carry on doing what you're doing. Something like this is much needed at the club!

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3038
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by John Smith » 09 Jul 2018 11:01

What a sad, sad time it is for my club

User avatar
IRjAy
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 03 Jul 2018 19:26
Location: Southcote, Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by IRjAy » 09 Jul 2018 11:23

John Smith wrote:What a sad, sad time it is for my club


To have replies like yours? Yes it is.

What is wrong with a proactive group of supporters working with the football club to secure an area of the ground previously used by away supporters, so we can get a second singing area going? Nothing at all!

This is only a positive for the club!

Appreciate many, myself included, didn't like the megaphone idea, but that's gone now. It's going to be vocal and visual and there's nothing plastic about that.
Last edited by IRjAy on 10 Jul 2018 08:21, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5654
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2018 11:30

As has been widely documented I was very much against this at first but having listened to the organisers speaking at length on podcasts etc I can admit it has changed my opinion. It's not for me but it is for others, hope it is a success.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11873
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 18:25
Location: WE ARE NOT YOUR KIND

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by sandman » 09 Jul 2018 12:27

Club 1871 wrote:Mods, would be grateful if this could be made a sticky please.

Evening all. Yeah, fcuk off newbie and all that sh*t, seen it all before. Your author is a seasoned Nobber in another life so fcuk off back to you all 8)

Appreciate this is a second thread on seemingly the same thing but it's better we post here in a new thread of our own to enable the masses a single go-to place on the inimitable forum that is Hob Nob Anyone?

You'll all hopefully have seen that RFC have released the south western side of the South Stand to us for season 2018/19 with a view to organically growing what we are trying to do. If you haven't already done so and are interested in moving for the season, season tickets are available at the same price as the Eamo Stand. If you've already renewed in another stand you can move across at any time for no charge, and if you move ST before the season commences you'll get the difference in price refunded. I've done it - simple 2 minute phone call is all it took me.

Also note, it's unreserved seating. Capacity takes a 10% hit but the effect will be better having everyone in the same area of the stand.

We chose the South Stand last season because it was an empty cavernous waste for half of the visiting clubs last season. More importantly though, it was an area of the stadium that we felt we could realistically lever into without displacing and disenfranchising any existing supporters. However, we were acutely aware that because of the layout of the South Stand the slight spanner in our works is the 15% away allocation regulation for both League Cup and FA Cup games. If we draw a club that will fill both sides then we will have to relocate for the match. How that works is undecided, however we average less than one of these matches a season since the move to the Madejski so it was an acceptable compromise.

The Club 1871 Twitter account @Club1871 has been busy over the last couple of days as we're also crowd funding to raise money for decorations. We're looking to get a massive big f**k off flag in there, banners and other bits and bobs to make the area our own. Link is http://www.gofundme.com/Club1871. I would sincerely ask all to donate, even if you aren't heading over. Every penny will be put back into this initiative which we want to grow organically. The response so far has been incredible, at the time of writing this we're just shy of £1k after just a day, when we thought we'd set a ludicrously high target!! The more money we get the more stuff we can get and the better we can make it become more of a home. And if incentive were needed, you can grab some of our tat if you donate enough 8) Between £10 and £19.99 is a Club 1871 pin badge, or if you donate £20 or more then a Club 1871 scarf will be winging its way to you.

Lastly, just t reiterate, what we're about is creating a positive atmosphere at a ground that has descended into toxicity negativity over the last half a dozen years or so. We'll give it verbal hell for leather for the full 90. We're not about arbitrarily chanting a left back who hasn't touched the ball for 10 minutes for 10 seconds and then onto the next chant for the keeper at the other end of the pitch. We want to bring a more continental feel to proceedings with inventive chants going on and on. This doesn't mean we're not interacting with the game, of course we will be. But while we watch we also chant. The test games at the end of last season were far from perfect admittedly, particularly as the group grew in number, but what we do have is an enthusiastic core of likeminded people who want to make this work. And one big thing which proved controversial - WE'RE DITCHING THE MEGAPHONE (edit - personal opinion alert - praise the Lord!) However, the more we get together, the more we finetune what we do and hopefully we introduce some creative and unique chants that all stands can get into. And we need inventiveness. Football fans as a collective can be a judgmental bunch, we want to avoid that and allow people the chance to create and try things without fear of ridicule. Some things may catch, others may not, but there's no harm in trying :)

Signing off for now, and even if you don't want to join us, please support us in whatever way you can. Ultimately a good, positive atmosphere is for the benefit of everyone. This thread will be monitored so feel free to offer critical feedback or massage our egos, our shoulders are broad enough to accept either. Genuine questions will be responded to truthfully and honestly, or DM us of course. Alternatively look for us on Faceache (http://www.facebook.com/club1871) or Twatter (@Club1871) for the latest opinions and initiatives.
Image

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3038
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by John Smith » 09 Jul 2018 16:38

IRjAy wrote:
John Smith wrote:What a sad, sad time it is for my club


To have replies like yours? Yes it is.

What is wrong with a proactive ground of supporters getting a second singing area going? Nothing at all!

This is only a positive for the club!

Says someone with IRA subtly placed in his username.

A positive for everyone would be for you to close down your account and never post again.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5654
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jul 2018 08:09

John Smith wrote:
IRjAy wrote:
John Smith wrote:What a sad, sad time it is for my club


To have replies like yours? Yes it is.

What is wrong with a proactive ground of supporters getting a second singing area going? Nothing at all!

This is only a positive for the club!

Says someone with IRA subtly placed in his username.

A positive for everyone would be for you to close down your account and never post again.


Yeah if mod sees this get rid please. We shouldn't have IRA sympathisers here.


User avatar
IRjAy
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 03 Jul 2018 19:26
Location: Southcote, Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by IRjAy » 10 Jul 2018 08:29

It's nothing to do with working for the Inland Revenue then?

User avatar
Green
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 26310
Joined: 29 Jun 2012 13:28

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Green » 10 Jul 2018 09:41

I assumed it was just another alterego of BR0B0Ts TBF, but I wouldn't take him too seriously in any case.

User avatar
IRjAy
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 03 Jul 2018 19:26
Location: Southcote, Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by IRjAy » 10 Jul 2018 12:37

Green wrote:I assumed it was just another alterego of BR0B0Ts TBF, but I wouldn't take him too seriously in any case.


I was going to add I hope I'm taken as seriously as you, but lets hope not!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4530
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: Defending John Swift from Philistines.

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2018 14:33

Couldn't figure out how to donate in Old Man Andrews name but I would like it if you considered that donation from him.
@OMA - please send them your address for the scarf you will receive.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5654
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jul 2018 15:11

NewCorkSeth wrote:Couldn't figure out how to donate in Old Man Andrews name but I would like it if you considered that donation from him.
@OMA - please send them your address for the scarf you will receive.


I am for the project, I already donated. I changed my tune a long time ago.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4530
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: Defending John Swift from Philistines.

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2018 15:17

Old Man Andrews wrote:
NewCorkSeth wrote:Couldn't figure out how to donate in Old Man Andrews name but I would like it if you considered that donation from him.
@OMA - please send them your address for the scarf you will receive.


I am for the project, I already donated. I changed my tune a long time ago.

So.. You don't want the scarf?

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5654
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jul 2018 15:18

NewCorkSeth wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
NewCorkSeth wrote:Couldn't figure out how to donate in Old Man Andrews name but I would like it if you considered that donation from him.
@OMA - please send them your address for the scarf you will receive.


I am for the project, I already donated. I changed my tune a long time ago.

So.. You don't want the scarf?


Yes I will take anything free. You can bring it over, stay a while. Have a go on the Mrs or something.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7603
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Hound » 11 Jul 2018 10:55

Good luck with the 1871 stuff. looking forward to see how it evolves over the season

I'm happy enough in the deathly quiet, full of bored kids playing mobile phones and irritated parents, land of the ED, but hope a load of people join you

User avatar
IRjAy
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 03 Jul 2018 19:26
Location: Southcote, Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by IRjAy » 12 Jul 2018 16:57

You will love the second drummer!

User avatar
LWJ
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 12100
Joined: 10 Aug 2007 09:59
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by LWJ » 23 Jul 2018 09:12

IMO the megaphone isn't the worst idea once the crowd grows. BUT only used to start a chant, not throughout.

User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11673
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by bobby1413 » 23 Jul 2018 09:54

Donated £10 on Saturday ... good luck!

I'm going to guess that in 1-2 seasons this entire block will be full

549 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests

It is currently 15 Dec 2018 09:18