Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
biff

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by biff » 19 Aug 2018 00:34

How could it ever hope to compliment the rest of the ground?

The south stand are singing their inoffensive dittys towards the pitch, away from y26 (the only real organic area for noise), flanked by away fans on their right and the most soulless part of the ground on their left.

It hasn't got a hope of working. Knock it on the head, move everyone back to the one place where 20 years of (relative) atmosphere has prospered, and make at least one part of the ground vaguely intimidating again.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2018 07:56

What’s the EFL laws about roofs on stadiums?

Because that’s pretty much the only way I can see the Madejski ever being loud.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 19 Aug 2018 09:29

It may work better if they moved to where the away fans are. Then it would merge with Y25 and Y26.

However I think you'd lose the interaction with the away fans then. They'd be shouting, screaming and flicking the Vs at families and old people in the west stand who would spill their thermos flask and drop their sausage rolls.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 19 Aug 2018 10:26

biff Baiting is 90% of football atmosphere. They should be doing more. Just stood in y26 without the holier/louder than thou mentality.

Retrospective baiting of course.

However at that point in the game, we hadn’t heard the a peep out of the Bolton fans and the RFC fans in the South Stand actually sounded in reasonably good voice. All it succeeded in doing was geeing up the away support and once again silencing the home.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Aug 2018 13:16

The bottom line is that it is fundamentally down to the players to encourage an atmosphere. If we are playing sideways football in a laboured way then we will be quiet. If we can see the players working their nuts off and playing at tempo and or with urgency we will respond.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 19 Aug 2018 15:07

It was ok for about 20 minutes and then it just fizzled out. I have no problem with the concept. It’s in the wrong place. Still think it should be behind the goal in the ED. Got told the club didn’t want to displace existing ST holders but looking at the ground yesterday you’d probably only need to move about 50 people.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Aug 2018 15:42

3points It was ok for about 20 minutes and then it just fizzled out. I have no problem with the concept. It’s in the wrong place. Still think it should be behind the goal in the ED. Got told the club didn’t want to displace existing ST holders but looking at the ground yesterday you’d probably only need to move about 50 people.

Agreed, they are far too isolated where they are, a half decent away following will drown them out every time.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 19 Aug 2018 15:45

The atmosphere in there is good, however some mong decided that putting a drum in there would be beneficial for the atmosphere. It just isn't, the guy can never get in time with the songs and worst case drowns out the singing with the obnoxious banging of the drum. Kills the atmosphere. Miss when the drum wasn't around now. And get rid of the goal music while you're at it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2018 16:02

Started out ok, although the crowd was smaller and more dispersed than against Ipswich... was very disappointed when I got in. The game was pretty awful though and the Bolton goal sucked the life out of it.

I still like the idea, and whilst I enjoy a bit of back and forth with the away fans, I do prefer positivity towards the pitch.

It's an idea that would absolutely work if we played well and won occasionally, with a bigger overall crowd. The way we're going, we'll have regular sub 10,000 attendances and no one singing anywhere next season. I hope it doesn't get abandoned, but it looks pretty desperate if the numbers and enthusiasm are already gone 2 home games into the season.

I'll be there for the forseeable at least though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Aug 2018 19:52

so basically....just like any RFC crowd anytime, anywhere that preceded the 1871 fanatics (and any other team elsewhere in the whole world..... in all honesty) if we are winning games , we”ll make a positive noise.....who knew?

The players heads drop....we resort to type

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 08:30

It really didn't work on Saturday, was quite weird actually. I thought these guys were meant to be positive no matter what happens on the pitch? THe second the goal went in they gave up on the team.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 20 Aug 2018 10:13

I also thought they weren't supposed to sing at away fans? Let's just all move back to normal pls guys x

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Aug 2018 11:10

Jemzy It was a nice effort by a bunch of clueless Warhammer enthusiasts but it's clear that it's failed.

The demographic is just wrong.

Back to normal now please.

Absolutely. It was quite clear they were in trouble after Birmingham and now no one appears to care and they've become old news it seems that even they've lost belief in themselves. A shambolic organisation and I think we need answers from members higher up. They've got to go. Please fold.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 20 Aug 2018 11:26

I would actually like to hear some answers as to why it was so awful

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 11:31

Theroyalbox I would actually like to hear some answers as to why it was so awful

It must be hard for the organisers though, they did put a lot into it but it just hasn't worked. They are probably just licking their wounds and facing up to the reality.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 20 Aug 2018 11:44

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox I would actually like to hear some answers as to why it was so awful

It must be hard for the organisers though, they did put a lot into it but it just hasn't worked. They are probably just licking their wounds and facing up to the reality.

I think someone made a good point earlier up, Reading fans are Reading fans they are not going to turn into ultras over night just cause some people chose to sit somewhere else.

I did hope it would work but that's the sad reality

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Aug 2018 13:08

Are the 3 of you just going to circle jerk each other off whilst wallowing in some weird pride that we have a shit atmosphere and an effort by a group of fans, hasn't thus far turned the madejski into la bombonera? #sad

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 13:17

Jagermesiter1871 Are the 3 of you just going to circle jerk each other off whilst wallowing in some weird pride that we have a shit atmosphere and an effort by a group of fans, hasn't thus far turned the madejski into la bombonera? #sad

Where were they on Saturday when Bolton scored? I thought they were going to be positive "no matter what"? They have fallen at the first hurdle.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Aug 2018 13:46

Old Man Andrews
Jagermesiter1871 Are the 3 of you just going to circle jerk each other off whilst wallowing in some weird pride that we have a shit atmosphere and an effort by a group of fans, hasn't thus far turned the madejski into la bombonera? #sad

Where were they on Saturday when Bolton scored? I thought they were going to be positive "no matter what"? They have fallen at the first hurdle.

I think it's difficult when they're not keeping up their side of the bargain. It's all well and good revelling in Liam Moore's funded travel but when it comes down to it they've been found wanting, clearly. Let's start using the stadium properly and get the extra revenue in.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 20 Aug 2018 13:53

People on here saying it's a failure after 2 games :lol: always going to be a slow process, like someone said, they're not going to be ultras overnight.

Also, they can't control what everyone is singing who comes into the group, that would be near impossible. Young lads have been chanting at away fans, the organisers aren't exactly going to walk up to them and ask them to stop are they?! I was in there for both games and I just don't think a lot of fans were up for it which is a shame but again the organisers can't control that. Give it time and I'm sure it will grow. You can't give up after 1 bad game.

I thought the South and East complimented each other excellently for the Derby game and kept Derby fans quiet.

Rather than knocking them down, why don't you start encouraging them for a much needed initiative? I certainly didn't hear East stand sing after Bolton scored either.

2100 posts