Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

549 posts
User avatar
LWJ
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 12089
Joined: 10 Aug 2007 09:59
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by LWJ » 31 Aug 2018 10:16

Image

RoyalJones
Member
Posts: 204
Joined: 03 May 2016 17:06

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by RoyalJones » 01 Sep 2018 15:09

Would be amazing to get 2000 fans this section of the stadium but at the moment surely this is costing the club a lot in terms of revenue (ticket sales and therefore refreshment revenue), especially when teams like Leeds and Aston Villa have the ability to bring 4,000 fans down easily. Not against Club 1871 as it is a good initiative, but in the short term it must be costing the club a lot of money.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5462
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Sep 2018 23:43

Good Lord it was embarrassing today. Club will have to pull the plug soon, novelty has well and truly worn off.

Zip
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2343
Joined: 30 Dec 2017 17:39

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Zip » 02 Sep 2018 01:04

Old Man Andrews wrote:Good Lord it was embarrassing today. Club will have to pull the plug soon, novelty has well and truly worn off.


They were very quiet today and also too spread out in little clusters. I thought it was a good idea but it’s run out of steam. As a club we will be losing money if this continues so given the atmosphere isn’t improving it’s time to call an end to this. A shame really.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11869
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 18:25
Location: WE ARE NOT YOUR KIND

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by sandman » 02 Sep 2018 02:11

It was doomed to fail from the start.

They'd have been far better getting into Y25/26 or Eamonn's Stand and trying to engage with the fans in those areas to change the atmosphere. Instead they alienated themselves from everyone else and what little atmosphere we had has been decimated.


User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11673
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by bobby1413 » 02 Sep 2018 03:51

The problem is that the timing is wrong.

This would have worked in a season where we are top 6 and looking like possible promotion candidates.

Not in the back of near relegation... into a season where it's looking even worse.

The ground has never looked so empty for a sunny Saturday afternoon home game. It was depressing. West, ED both looked less than half full. Y25/26 dead.

Not surprising then that Club1871 can't get a raucous atmosphere. There's nothing to sing about for a start.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5462
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Sep 2018 07:38

bobby1413 wrote:The problem is that the timing is wrong.

This would have worked in a season where we are top 6 and looking like possible promotion candidates.

Not in the back of near relegation... into a season where it's looking even worse.

The ground has never looked so empty for a sunny Saturday afternoon home game. It was depressing. West, ED both looked less than half full. Y25/26 dead.

Not surprising then that Club1871 can't get a raucous atmosphere. There's nothing to sing about for a start.


Bit this was the whole reason they came up be. The team were struggling and the atmosphere was also struggling in turn. They were formed to create a positive atmosphere no matter what and they have sadly failed their mission. They can't be blamed, they are only human. The team have given them and us absolutely nothing to be even slightly positive about and they have realised that you cannot just be positive for no reason.

It was an experiment worth trying out but it's time to pull the plug on it, it hasn't worked at all.

3points
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1898
Joined: 27 Oct 2013 18:22

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by 3points » 02 Sep 2018 17:34

don't understand why they were so spread out yesterday? Literally didn't hear them once from the ED. If they came to the ED you'd get some more people joining in. I've said it before; it's a good idea in principle but poorly executed from the decision to isolate it in the South Stand (and it's costing the club significant revenue in away fan income).

There's so much space in the ED, try moving it for a game and see what happens.

Zip
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2343
Joined: 30 Dec 2017 17:39

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Zip » 02 Sep 2018 17:44

3points wrote:don't understand why they were so spread out yesterday? Literally didn't hear them once from the ED. If they came to the ED you'd get some more people joining in. I've said it before; it's a good idea in principle but poorly executed from the decision to isolate it in the South Stand (and it's costing the club significant revenue in away fan income).

There's so much space in the ED, try moving it for a game and see what happens.


In the ED the only chant I ever hear is the bloody annoying ‘Blue army’.
When the East stand starting singing ‘Reading till I die’ yesterday I seemed to be the only one singing it around me.
The 1871 lot were non existent in the second half yesterday. Time for a rethink.
I actually like seeing a large away support. It improves the atmosphere and goads our fans into a response. Time to open up the entire South stand to away supporters again.


User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11673
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by bobby1413 » 02 Sep 2018 18:10

Zip wrote:I actually like seeing a large away support. It improves the atmosphere and goads our fans into a response. Time to open up the entire South stand to away supporters again.


I entirely agree with this. I do think that in a way it does give some form of advantage to the away team.

But that advantage is so minor, when you think that it can spur on the home fans to respond, to get livened up and get into the spirit. I would rather have seen 4000 Sheffield Wednesday fans rather than 2500 + 300 Reading fans sat down bored.

3points wrote:don't understand why they were so spread out yesterday? Literally didn't hear them once from the ED. If they came to the ED you'd get some more people joining in. I've said it before; it's a good idea in principle but poorly executed from the decision to isolate it in the South Stand (and it's costing the club significant revenue in away fan income).

There's so much space in the ED, try moving it for a game and see what happens.


Also agree.

I do think Club 1871 should be in the South stand ... ***IF*** we had 20'000 home fans each game and we were on the up. Then we would have a large interest, all in one area, without affecting any other part of the ground.

As it is, we have 13000 home fans, all bored, all spread out, with each stand fairly empty. Then you add in some 4th stand which drags others away.

Get 1871 into the North Stand, or better still into Y25/Y26 maybe

3points
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1898
Joined: 27 Oct 2013 18:22

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by 3points » 02 Sep 2018 18:11

Zip wrote:
3points wrote:don't understand why they were so spread out yesterday? Literally didn't hear them once from the ED. If they came to the ED you'd get some more people joining in. I've said it before; it's a good idea in principle but poorly executed from the decision to isolate it in the South Stand (and it's costing the club significant revenue in away fan income).

There's so much space in the ED, try moving it for a game and see what happens.


In the ED the only chant I ever hear is the bloody annoying ‘Blue army’.
When the East stand starting singing ‘Reading till I die’ yesterday I seemed to be the only one singing it around me.
The 1871 lot were non existent in the second half yesterday. Time for a rethink.
I actually like seeing a large away support. It improves the atmosphere and goads our fans into a response. Time to open up the entire South stand to away supporters again.

Having sat in ED for a number of seasons now there's a chance the kids will follow a simple chant (hence Bl'army). There was no drummer again yesterday which didn't help (I know people hate it but it does try to start some chants)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 19307
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: https://goo.gl/maps/i8aVNAvDB872

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Forbury Lion » 10 Sep 2018 17:33

I've noticed a few times Club 1871 doing things they said they were not going to do, instead of cheering on/supporting the lads they were having a sing off with the away fans and also singing the names of players not actually on the pitch playing..... Yes, by all means sing a song for Paul McShane if he isn't playing but only do so if you can first sing a song for the two centre backs who are playing as singing the name of someone who plays in their position and isn't in the starting lineup isn't going to go down well.

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3023
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by John Smith » 12 Sep 2018 16:48

Forbury Lion wrote:I've noticed a few times Club 1871 doing things they said they were not going to do, instead of cheering on/supporting the lads they were having a sing off with the away fans and also singing the names of players not actually on the pitch playing..... Yes, by all means sing a song for Paul McShane if he isn't playing but only do so if you can first sing a song for the two centre backs who are playing as singing the name of someone who plays in their position and isn't in the starting lineup isn't going to go down well.

Sounds to me like no one really knows what they're doing. It's not even started with a clear agenda - just a few self-entitled fans who think they are closer to the club that the rest and that they should deserve preferential treatment. When on earth are they going to pack it up and get real? If the rest of the fans don't agree with it then something is clearly wrong!

Fold.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5462
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Sep 2018 08:02

John Smith wrote:
Forbury Lion wrote:I've noticed a few times Club 1871 doing things they said they were not going to do, instead of cheering on/supporting the lads they were having a sing off with the away fans and also singing the names of players not actually on the pitch playing..... Yes, by all means sing a song for Paul McShane if he isn't playing but only do so if you can first sing a song for the two centre backs who are playing as singing the name of someone who plays in their position and isn't in the starting lineup isn't going to go down well.

Sounds to me like no one really knows what they're doing. It's not even started with a clear agenda - just a few self-entitled fans who think they are closer to the club that the rest and that they should deserve preferential treatment. When on earth are they going to pack it up and get real? If the rest of the fans don't agree with it then something is clearly wrong!

Fold.


They are also now saying they will protest against the ownership if necessary...... So much for supporting the club "no matter what" eh?

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1071
Joined: 23 Sep 2012 15:29

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Theroyalbox » 13 Sep 2018 16:10

Wheres the bloke who posted on here for them, were also reading fans and would like some answers x

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5462
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2018 07:57

Theroyalbox wrote:Wheres the bloke who posted on here for them, were also reading fans and would like some answers x


He's a good bloke, shame that seemingly those organising it have given up on it.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3142
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Royalwaster » 14 Sep 2018 08:35

Sounds like an early death of the Club 1871 Ultras. :D

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5462
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2018 08:39

Yeah its so done. The group quite literally formed to get the players and the club through hard times on the pitch and have failed to do so. Their efforts against Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday were woeful, couldn't even organise themselves to sit together.

Sadly this has turned out to be what I feared all along. It is just a vanity project to boost the profile and egos of those in charge. It is time to turn off the life support I'm afraid.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4759
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2018 18:43

And yet you and John Smith are still obsessive about it.

Weird. Kes levels weird.

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3023
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by John Smith » 18 Sep 2018 09:31

Snowflake Royal wrote:And yet you and John Smith are still obsessive about it.

Weird. Kes levels weird.

I'm not obsessed with it. I just feel that there's a sense of elitism within the group and thoughts of grandeur and being closer to the players, yet I didn't see any of them at Deepdale on Saturday - you know - to support the team when they needed it. Now I'd call that weird.

549 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

It is currently 11 Dec 2018 22:44