Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Forbury Lion » 24 Sep 2018 11:04

John Smith The team shouldn't need to be winning to be well supported.
No, but they need to be seen to be giving everything on the pitch & playing positive football.

John Smith I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.
Some people go the games just for the football, some for the day out - In both cases, the experience is enhanced by the team playing good football and giving us a game to enjoy - ideally a win, but as long as they give 100% and don't give up/get sloppy with the ball/at the back most will be encouraged by that..... although a small number of the day out gang don't seem at all bothered by the results and spend most of their time on the concourse drinking.

John Smith What about teams like Plymouth and Portsmouth? They take good numbers everywhere (much better than us) and are utter dross and in dross leagues.
If I lived in Portsmouth of Plymouth I'd jump at any excuse to leave for the day.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 11:16

Forbury Lion
No, but they need to be seen to be giving everything on the pitch & playing positive football.

John Smith I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.
Some people go the games just for the football, some for the day out - In both cases, the experience is enhanced by the team playing good football and giving us a game to enjoy - ideally a win, but as long as they give 100% and don't give up/get sloppy with the ball/at the back most will be encouraged by that..... although a small number of the day out gang don't seem at all bothered by the results and spend most of their time on the concourse drinking.

John Smith What about teams like Plymouth and Portsmouth? They take good numbers everywhere (much better than us) and are utter dross and in dross leagues.
If I lived in Portsmouth of Plymouth I'd jump at any excuse to leave for the day.

Couldn't disagree more with everything you've posted, I'm afraid. And topped off with a snide remark about other towns - I assume you live in Reading?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Sep 2018 12:43

John Smith
Forbury Lion

Couldn't disagree more with everything you've posted, I'm afraid. And topped off with a snide remark about other towns - I assume you live in Reading?
So you don't agree that a team need to give everything on the pitch and play positive football? - I think most would disagree with you there, Bad results can be forgiven, Lack of effort and commitment can not.

Some people really to go to games just for the football - that is a fact, but you disagree because it's not true in your case?

Are you seriously indifferent about the result? - Do you not feel anything different when we win as opposed to losing? Winning isn't everything, but a win is a win and most of us are happy with the result and that does make us happier than a defeat.

Yes, there was light-hearted dig at Portsmouth and Plymouth, Lighten up - It's the interenet. Yes I do currently live in Reading and I'm not saying it's better than those two places or that I don't jump at any excuse to leave Reading for the day. Most towns are shit holes.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Sep 2018 12:51

Forbury Lion
Yes, there was light-hearted dig at Portsmouth and Plymouth, Lighten up - It's the interenet. Yes I do currently live in Reading and I'm not saying it's better than those two places or that I don't jump at any excuse to leave Reading for the day. Most towns are shit holes.

Actually, you'll find Portsmouth and Plymouth are cities so you are again, wrong.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 13:09

Forbury Lion So you don't agree that a team need to give everything on the pitch and play positive football? - I think most would disagree with you there, Bad results can be forgiven, Lack of effort and commitment can not.

Some people really to go to games just for the football - that is a fact, but you disagree because it's not true in your case?

Are you seriously indifferent about the result? - Do you not feel anything different when we win as opposed to losing? Winning isn't everything, but a win is a win and most of us are happy with the result and that does make us happier than a defeat.

Obviously I care about what happens on the pitch but I go to support the team regardless. If we lost the next 20 games in a row it wouldn't make me think differently about going to the next game - I'd go because it's something I like doing. That's the bit I can't quite comprehend. You don't go to watch the team win, you go to watch them play. What about Grimsby Town. They are real, real dross and in an awkward location geographically but probably take more than us away. I'm not sure if you're seeing my point?

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 24 Sep 2018 16:07

Genuine question -

Would there be a better atmosphere in the Mad Stad if there was a full away end (both sides of the South) and all the 1871 Boys back up in Y25/26?

And for the record I have nothing but respect for anyone that is trying to improve the stadium atmosphere by creating Club 1871.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 24 Sep 2018 19:21

hughsies no.1 Genuine question -

Would there be a better atmosphere in the Mad Stad if there was a full away end (both sides of the South) and all the 1871 Boys back up in Y25/26?

And for the record I have nothing but respect for anyone that is trying to improve the stadium atmosphere by creating Club 1871.

It would be a better atmosphere if there was a full away stand and no club 1871 imho.

It still just seems too forced and contrived. When we were losing games they were nowhere to be seen/heard.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2018 20:13

John Smith The team shouldn't need to be winning to be well supported. I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.

What about teams like Plymouth and Portsmouth? They take good numbers everywhere (much better than us) and are utter dross and in dross leagues.

This would be the Plymouth and Porstmouth who won 19 and 20 games last season, finishing 7th and 8th in League One, having finished 1st and 2nd in League Two the season before with 26 wins each right?

Cor, you've got a real point about them having no reason to have positive atmospheres and decent attendances.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Sep 2018 20:20

Old Man Andrews Club 1871 were horrendous again on Saturday but decided to give it the big I am afterwards on social media claiming credit for the victory more or less. The phrase 'sing when you're winning' has never been so apt when it comes to them.

They made decent noise on Saturday. I heard them pretty much throughout the game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Sep 2018 20:23

hughsies no.1 Genuine question -

Yes. Which is why I think we should go back to how it was. Nothing wrong with trying something different but I think it’s gone as far as it can. When we play the likes of Leeds and Villa let them have the South stand in full.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 06:51

Snowflake Royal
John Smith The team shouldn't need to be winning to be well supported. I go to games for the whole day out aspect; beers, social, the game comes as part of that.

What about teams like Plymouth and Portsmouth? They take good numbers everywhere (much better than us) and are utter dross and in dross leagues.

This would be the Plymouth and Porstmouth who won 19 and 20 games last season, finishing 7th and 8th in League One, having finished 1st and 2nd in League Two the season before with 26 wins each right?

Cor, you've got a real point about them having no reason to have positive atmospheres and decent attendances.

8)

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 06:56

Zip
Old Man Andrews Club 1871 were horrendous again on Saturday but decided to give it the big I am afterwards on social media claiming credit for the victory more or less. The phrase 'sing when you're winning' has never been so apt when it comes to them.

They made decent noise on Saturday. I heard them pretty much throughout the game.

It was probably the loudest all season, not in any way a coincidence because it was the best the team has played!

I am not against the idea at all, I just feel that when the team isn't performance so well it is hard for the minority to keep it up and force whilst the majority are disinterested and annoyed. I cannot think of any other club that has a little group like this either?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Sep 2018 08:44

There's a few points to make here.

Firstly, you guys need to understand that regardless of your views you don't get a say in when the South Stand experiment ends. The people in it and the club are the only ones that do.

The club are unlikely to end it mid-season unless it's attendance dwindles to almost nothing, because force moving 50+ STHs is not good customer service. Especially when you'd have to either charge them extra or give them seats in another part of the ground cheaper than the fans sitting next to them.

Also, hoping to improve the atmosphere by being able to sell out the away end is a complete non-starter. It's only going to affect about 5 games for a start.

Secondly, a sold out away end only improves the East atmosphere a bit and if things aren't that bad. Even then the East is frequently outsung by a full or even 2/3rds full away end which only boosts the away side.

It's simple accoustics I'm afraid an end will always dominate a side given vaguely similar noise levels. It might not seem that way in Y25/26, but it does in the rest of the stadium.

Even in the cases where a full away end helps, it only provides small periods of extra noise from the home fans, while C1871 is trying to go all game.

C1871 is here for at the veey least half a season, or until it's attendance is regularly in double figures only, like it or loathe it. Do you may as well stop wasting your breath saying it's a failed experiment that's over.

It may or may not be failed, time will tell. But it's not over.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Sep 2018 09:13

Snowflake Royal There's a few points to make here.

Firstly, you guys need to understand that regardless of your views you don't get a say in when the South Stand experiment ends. The people in it and the club are the only ones that do.

That's the biggest issue. Why should this select group of frauds be favoured as supporters over people like me? i.e. a real supporter

Snowflake Royal C1871 is here for at the veey least half a season, or until it's attendance is regularly in double figures only, like it or loathe it. Do you may as well stop wasting your breath saying it's a failed experiment that's over.

What on earth does that mean? It doesn't make sense. You are well and truly losing the plot - a real shame because like I said on another thread where you descended into drivel, you normally post sense. What's happening to you?

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 09:33

John Smith
Snowflake Royal There's a few points to make here.

That's the biggest issue. Why should this select group of frauds be favoured as supporters over people like me? i.e. a real supporter

Snowflake Royal C1871 is here for at the veey least half a season, or until it's attendance is regularly in double figures only, like it or loathe it. Do you may as well stop wasting your breath saying it's a failed experiment that's over.

What on earth does that mean? It doesn't make sense. You are well and truly losing the plot - a real shame because like I said on another thread where you descended into drivel, you normally post sense. What's happening to you?

I don't agree with calling them frauds or not real fans (i hate the term real fan) as they are fans and they tried to do something different. It can work but I do not agree with Snowflake Royals point re the away end.

I think that we can get a heck of a lot of terms who pack out an away end, where the hardcore support would come and make noise, banter, drink etc.

Villa, Swansea, Boro, Sheffield UTD, West Brom, leeds, derby, stoke, millwall could easily fill 3/4s of it. In turn, they would create a better atmousohere which would have a knock on effect within the rest of the ground.

Also, I did not know that C1871 have to pay extra or others get cheaper seats? Is this true?

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 25 Sep 2018 09:42

Why are you such a sad and bitter person about a group of fans doing what they want to support the club they love?? Club 1871 are doing more to help this club than I guess you've ever done but you still can't find it in yourself to simply let them get on with it without sniping and talking bollocks. Really you should perhaps go out more........

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Sep 2018 09:47

Haag Royal

Why are you such a sad and bitter person about a group of fans doing what they want to support the club they love?? Club 1871 are doing more to help this club than I guess you've ever done but you still can't find it in yourself to simply let them get on with it without sniping and talking bollocks. Really you should perhaps go out more........

If you can't handle hard facts then you're in the wrong place. Club 1871 have got it badly wrong, accept it.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 10:18

Haag Royal

Club 1871 are doing more to support the club?

Sorry I disagree. I could hedge a bet that Old Man Andrews has been a fan before most of them were born. Most probably have never been to the Southbank (RIP). Just by buying a season ticket and attending games we are all Doing what we can to support the team.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 25 Sep 2018 10:53

Old Man Andrews
Haag Royal

If you can't handle hard facts then you're in the wrong place. Club 1871 have got it badly wrong, accept it.

it's not going badly wrong though... for the first time ever at Madejski, I sung through the whole 90 mins. This has never happened even at the bigger games in Y26. I had a bloody good time and it's encouraging.

Why criticise everything they do whilst really all they are doing is trying to create a better atmosphere? They're not forcing you to move or making you move your seat to accommodate them, Why don't you just let them get on with it? Don't get why so many people are getting so irritated that a group of fans are sitting somewhere else. It's pathetic.

If you're embarrassed by the numbers or noise, like someone put on Twitter - join them and make more noise or just let them enjoy themselves :roll:

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 10:58

madreadingfan
Old Man Andrews
Haag Royal

it's not going badly wrong though... for the first time ever at Madejski, I sung through the whole 90 mins. This has never happened even at the bigger games in Y26. I had a bloody good time and it's encouraging.

Why criticise everything they do whilst really all they are doing is trying to create a better atmosphere? They're not forcing you to move or making you move your seat to accommodate them, Why don't you just let them get on with it? Don't get why so many people are getting so irritated that a group of fans are sitting somewhere else. It's pathetic.

If you're embarrassed by the numbers or noise, like someone put on Twitter - join them and make more noise or just let them enjoy themselves :roll:

Agreed. If You don't like it then don't comment.

2100 posts