Lateness of kit release?

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
McDermolenko

Lateness of kit release?

by McDermolenko » 24 Jul 2018 12:02

It really doesn't bother me as much as it would seem to most of our fans but could anyone share some insight as to why we always seem to be the last team to release our kits?

The only logical reasoning that I can imagine would be that sales data suggests we shift a lot more when it's released so close to the start of the new season?

Old Man Andrews

Re: Lateness of kit release?

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2018 12:07

It is always fairly late, at least has been in recent years. The panic from grown ups about a kit not being released is very odd.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2018 12:48

The reason being is because we get the kit at a reduced rate by receiving it later into the summer. This is so the Puma factories can concentrate on getting the bigger teams kits ready. Puma has always done this, the earlier you want the kit the more you pay per unit.

Hope this clears things up

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jul 2018 12:54

WoodleyRoyal The reason being is because we get the kit at a reduced rate by receiving it later into the summer. This is so the Puma factories can concentrate on getting the bigger teams kits ready. Puma has always done this, the earlier you want the kit the more you pay per unit.

Utter, utter drivel. Explain why Tranmere, Cambridge and Plymouth Argyle have had theirs on sale for weeks then.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2018 12:57

John Smith
WoodleyRoyal The reason being is because we get the kit at a reduced rate by receiving it later into the summer. This is so the Puma factories can concentrate on getting the bigger teams kits ready. Puma has always done this, the earlier you want the kit the more you pay per unit.

Utter, utter drivel. Explain why Tranmere, Cambridge and Plymouth Argyle have had theirs on sale for weeks then.

:| they were obviously prepared to pay the higher price per unit but have the shirt on sale for longer... different clubs have different shirt sale patterns, i can't speak for those clubs.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jul 2018 12:59

WoodleyRoyal
John Smith

:| they were obviously prepared to pay the higher price per unit but have the shirt on sale for longer... different clubs have different shirt sale patterns, i can't speak for those clubs.

Look, I found you out and look like a plumb. Stop trying to wriggle out of it because look like even more of a plonker with the silly excuses.

As if Cambridge United have a big enough sales and marketing budget to be paying for unnecessary outlays when they can reduce costs. They're a League 2 club. Use your head man.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2018 13:08

John Smith
WoodleyRoyal
John Smith Utter, utter drivel. Explain why Tranmere, Cambridge and Plymouth Argyle have had theirs on sale for weeks then.

Look, I found you out and look like a plumb. Stop trying to wriggle out of it because look like even more of a plonker with the silly excuses.

As if Cambridge United have a big enough sales and marketing budget to be paying for unnecessary outlays when they can reduce costs. They're a League 2 club. Use your head man.

WTF are you going on about? Each club has a choice, they chose to release their kit earlier in the summer, however, they paid a premium for doing so. It's not a difficult concept to get your head around.

PUMA offers this service so as not to overload their production line, they currently provide around 50 club kits in the European league football 3 kits per club. If everyone wanted the kits in the same month, they wouldn't be able to keep up with production. This isn't a new concept ffs staggering the release of the shirts for a different unit price is quite common practice.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jul 2018 13:18

Platy, how long are we going to leave it before John Smith's trolling gets looked at?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2018 13:44

Also, this tactic was decided by the Reading Marketing team as footfall at the stadium during the offseason is low, this being a problem of it being out-of-town stadium, and with no club shop in the town centre. Releasing the shirt closer to the start of the season were we have the home preseason friendlies maximises the unit price per footfall numbers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2018 13:58

Appears they are using the new kit as an excuse to get supporters to opt back in to the mailing list after GDPR came in. If you opt back in you get to see the new kit first apparently.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 25 Jul 2018 23:29

WoodleyRoyal Also, this tactic was decided by the Reading Marketing team as footfall at the stadium during the offseason is low, this being a problem of it being out-of-town stadium, and with no club shop in the town centre. Releasing the shirt closer to the start of the season were we have the home preseason friendlies maximises the unit price per footfall numbers.

eh? Are you trying to suggest we can make more money per shirt per person by selling them late?

I have to say, I'm impressed that we have marketing geniuses at the club, knowing we can make more from a sales pattern that virtually no other professional club in the country follows.

I'm also impressed that we managed to anticipate Puma's "late production discount" for a couple of decades before we were even with Puma.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2018 08:55

also amazed people care so much. It will be released a week before the season, because someone at the club thinks thats the way to generate the most interest and make the most money from the shirt sales

I suspect the kits were in production long before the summer.

Personally think its not a bad idea to release it the day before or main pre season friendly rather than some random day in the middle of the summer break

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jul 2018 08:59

Hound also amazed people care so much. It will be released a week before the season, because someone at the club thinks thats the way to generate the most interest and make the most money from the shirt sales

Personally think its not a bad idea to release it the day before or main pre season friendly rather than some random day in the middle of the summer break

This.

If you're a grown up and care deeply about the kit or when it is released then you are probably Kes.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 26 Jul 2018 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Jul 2018 15:31

Old Man Andrews
Hound also amazed people care so much. It will be released a week before the season, because someone at the club thinks thats the way to generate the most interest and make the most money from the shirt sales

This.

If you're a grown up and care deeply about the kit or when it is released then you are probably Kes.

Tbf I don't think anyone really 'cares', the OP just asked a question. It's one I've asked before, and I haven't bought a shirt since the final season at Elm Park.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1